[COM] [The Precinct] Central Bus Station

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] [The Precinct] Central Bus Station

#1 Post by Al » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:36 pm

I saw some plans today for the new bus station and it looks like it might be a 5 level jobbie. Unfortunately I don't have any pics to show you guys because I only got a quick glimse of it.

shuzstar
Banned
Banned

[COM]

#2 Post by shuzstar » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:38 pm

thank god the bus station is getting an upgrade! its so shitarse and 1960's. could anyone do a rough job of what it will look like from a hills spot (eg: windy hill/point) will be great to see the skyline expanding into other areas. im really suprised theres so many residential developments happening in the city atm.... where are all these people coming from> considering we have a tiny migration intake compared to that of most australian cities, low natural increase, ageing population and a population trend that adelaide will have UNDER 1 million people in 2050 acoording to http://www.abs.gov.au. i would hate for allk this to happen and they become abandoned or VERy empty in the future.
- Sensational Glenelg - The City By The Beach.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#3 Post by Will » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:19 pm

I was having a read of the City Messenger (september 15, 05) and on page 9 there is an add from the council announcing that construction will commence by the end of the year on this development. The first stage will cost $15.3 million and include a new Central Bus Station, a pedestrian link between Grote and Franklin Street and a Public Square between the Church of Christ and Hampshire Hotel. A five level, 638 space public car-park is also part of stage 1.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#4 Post by Will » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:21 pm

shuzstar wrote:thank god the bus station is getting an upgrade! its so shitarse and 1960's. could anyone do a rough job of what it will look like from a hills spot (eg: windy hill/point) will be great to see the skyline expanding into other areas. im really suprised theres so many residential developments happening in the city atm.... where are all these people coming from> considering we have a tiny migration intake compared to that of most australian cities, low natural increase, ageing population and a population trend that adelaide will have UNDER 1 million people in 2050 acoording to http://www.abs.gov.au. i would hate for allk this to happen and they become abandoned or VERy empty in the future.

The figures you are quoting are outdated, based on mid 90's information. Currently Adelaide is growing by around 10 000 people a year.

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#5 Post by Adelarch » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:04 pm

shuzstar wrote:thank god the bus station is getting an upgrade! its so shitarse and 1960's. could anyone do a rough job of what it will look like from a hills spot (eg: windy hill/point) will be great to see the skyline expanding into other areas. im really suprised theres so many residential developments happening in the city atm.... where are all these people coming from> considering we have a tiny migration intake compared to that of most australian cities, low natural increase, ageing population and a population trend that adelaide will have UNDER 1 million people in 2050 acoording to http://www.abs.gov.au. i would hate for allk this to happen and they become abandoned or VERy empty in the future.
...and you're forgetting the price of fuel mate, in the future will we really all be able to afford the luxury of spreading out in suburban 'bliss'?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#6 Post by Will » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:05 am

UrbanSG wrote:Will I think Rex was referring to the bus terminal component of the development. I have seen numerous calls for tender by the council for the bus terminal building recently in the paper. They are forecasting construction of this section to start early 2006. Urban Construct and Multiplex are the chosen ones for the private part of the development, (the money making apartments).
Thanks for that, it has cleared things up for me.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#7 Post by Howie » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:31 pm

Channel 9 News just had something on the new bus station... I've recorded it for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/_ci ... newbus.avi

8.8mb AVI DivX - sorry bout the aspect ratio.. something went wrong there.

Main points
* Builder appointed, started contract, work to begin immediately.
* $25 million dollar 15 bay station, carpark and 39 apartment to be built by hansen yuncken adjacent to current station.
* station to be open sept 2007. building to commence march 2006.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#8 Post by Howie » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:50 pm

Balfours Bus Station
Project Contact: Matthew Rodda
Contact Phone: 8203 7120
Contact Email: [email protected]
Project Overview

Franklin Street Bus Station/Car Park Building

The Franklin Street bus station/car park project represents stage 1 of the Balfours/Bus Station site redevelopment.

The existing bus station is time expired and unable to meet the needs of the coach industry. Accordingly, a new bus station will be constructed at the extreme eastern end of the existing Grote Street open lot car park. The new bus station will operate as an airport style facility providing a key piece of infrastructure for the City.

The building will include a 630 space public car park above the bus station and SAHT supported accommodation along the western façade. Significant public realm works will be undertaken adjacent to the bus station/car park building.

Key features of the bus station/car park building include:

• 15 coach bays and freight facility.
• Ancillary retail ie. café, newsagent.
• Passenger terminal to front new public plaza.
• Re-aligned Bowen Street (further east) to provide passenger drop off area.
• Public square between heritage elements (Hampshire Hotel and Church of Christ).
• 630 space public car park and supported accommodation at the western façade.

Work on the bus station/car park building is expected to commence in 2006.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#9 Post by Will » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:47 am

Thankfully after so many setbacks, this project will now hopefully proceed, however with all council projetcs I will get excited when I see action at the site.

The new bus station like the old airport is an embarrassment for this state. First impressions do last, and I sincerely hope that this new bus station makes a great impact on the people arriving in Adelaide by bus. A few years ago all the major entrances to this state were an outrage and I think that helped establish the negative 'country town' image people have of Adelaide. At least we now have fixed the automobile (south eastern freeway) and the airport. All we now need is to fix Outer Harbour and sending interstate trains back to North Terrace.

Back to the topic, I saw on the news yesterday that the council has finally reached an agreement with the car repair workshop, and work on the Balfours site towers should start in late 2007.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#10 Post by Pikey » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:23 am

This project as of next monday, is officially under construction. So, I've changed the status of this thread to UC.

So, nerrrrr.

Nice article on the project in today's Tiser, by the way
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#11 Post by Howie » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:33 pm

Hi guys...

Today's ACC press release on the New Adelaide Bus Station.

[quote]
Work will start on Monday on the new Adelaide Bus Station and Car Park in Grote St and new paving works on Rundle Street, which also features a public art work.

The projects are Adelaide City Council Capital Works programs which will improve the City for visitors, residents and workers.

Visitors, traders, workers and residents in the City may experience some disruptions as a result of the work, including the closure of Grote Street UPark and traffic and parking restrictions on Rundle Street. The Rundle Street project is expected to take three months to complete, while the bus station project will take approximately 18 months.

Adelaide Lord Mayor Mr Michael Harbison said that Adelaide has been experiencing its biggest development boom, and these projects would add to the development work being undertaken by private developers around the City.

"The people of Adelaide have been very supportive and understanding of the major development work going on in the City.

"We have all been aware that the bus station site needs redevelopment, and we will finish with a state of the art bus station and a 600 space car park, tripling the parking capacity of the current Grote Street UPark.

"Rundle Street traders will be very pleased that work is starting on the paving on the North side of Rundle Street.

"The design of the Adelaide means that even major works such as the development of the new Adelaide Bus Station result in limited inconvenience for most people and there are plenty of options available for City visitors, workers and residents.â€

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#12 Post by AG » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:02 pm

I wonder why they don't just close Rundle Street in one direction during the works altogether. Sounds a lot easier, and create far less delays during busy hours.

It's great to see the work on the new bus station finally get under way after numerous planning issue hiccups along the way.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#13 Post by Will » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:00 pm

Great news about construction starting! can't wait to see pictures of the site cleared and covered in fencing.

Do you guys think that Hansen & Yuncken will use a tower crane for this project? Although the building is very long, it is not very tall, with its height to main roof being 21.4m.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#14 Post by Algernon » Sun May 21, 2006 10:14 am

Pikey wrote:Looks like a sandpit on steriods!
So I take it there were needles in it... sure you weren't in Footscray mate?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#15 Post by AtD » Tue May 23, 2006 3:58 pm

One serious sandpit:

From the Truscotts car park, fantastic view of the site.