[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5896 Post by Nathan » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:58 pm

There's a story on AdelaideNow about the tyre place on the corner of South Rd and West Thebarton Rd feeling hard done by that the land will be acquired — they've been there just 18 months. What did they think would happen? Even if the land wasn't needed (which apparently wasn't the case under the Liberal plan), surely there would have been years of disruption regardless.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#5897 Post by phenom » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:03 pm

Broadly speaking in most cases it looks like some decent improvements. The extra off-ramps after Gallipoli Underpass should relief some pressure there traffic wise and also build in some redundancy in case of accidents or blockages of any sort. Also makes sense given the future plans for more access for freight at least to the airport from the Richmond road side.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5898 Post by SRW » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:12 pm

Vasco wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:53 pm
SRW wrote:Like others, I just want this done now. It's good enough, let's get going!

I did not particularly want to see additional on/offs at Richmond or JCD that may encourage city commuters, but accept the argument that the additional egress relieves pressure on Anzac Highway and removes the need for that stupid single-lane flyover.
Yes let’s spend 10-15 billion dollars on a once in a century project and not cater to city commuters.

If you want people to catch public transport, then fix the public transport system. Don’t provide a substandard design solution to a city shaping project as a deterrent.

Should city bound / through traffic tradies, couriers, trucks, parental school commute, quick visit private citizens etc use the bus also?
Agreed that growing PT use requires investment. But my point is that exits should be planned carefully so as not to induce extra commuter traffic to the CBD specifically (the one area reasonably serviced by our radial PT network) and thereby worsen congestion to the point that the use cases you mention lose any benefit. I just hope it factored into whatever modelling they've done.
Keep Adelaide Weird

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#5899 Post by NTRabbit » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:28 am

I want to see a proper view of the roads going over the Torrens, because moving the motorway east and putting the B road back down at grade would seemingly undo the corner straightening on the other side of the river and actually make it worse, unless they plan to pave over half the cemetery

greenknight
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5900 Post by greenknight » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:18 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:28 am
I want to see a proper view of the roads going over the Torrens, because moving the motorway east and putting the B road back down at grade would seemingly undo the corner straightening on the other side of the river and actually make it worse, unless they plan to pave over half the cemetery
Somethign like this view?
https://youtu.be/EEJskxsWVB8?t=27

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#5901 Post by Saltwater » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:29 am

Overall the new design looks good, can feel for properties to the west of Brickworks when they were originally going to be ok, but the changes do seem practical. I particularly like the added connection to James Congdon Drive, which is under-utilised, and almost a free kick getting traffic out of the western CBD and onto the motorway without clogging up the Anzac Highway. Some areas around Marleston are also a bit of a mess - Billy Hyde which only recently opened is gone for example.

Living in the Inner West its now dawning on me how awful its going to be during construction, when large sections of South Road will be closed, likely for years at a time. But also how much better it will be when it's done. South Road between Brickworks and Anzac Highway is a parking lot most of the time. Hope they get on with it.

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#5902 Post by shiftaling » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:31 am

The problem marked "Motorists have limited time and distance to change lanes into and out of the motorway" (in the video below) would have been a disaster imo - it looks like a nightmare blackspot waiting to happen. Glad they fixed it!

https://youtu.be/EEJskxsWVB8?t=202

Even in the animation, a couple of the little Sim cars almost have a prang :lol: Though I guess that's what they are trying to illustrate

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5903 Post by AG » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:47 am

It's interesting how the animations have been put together for political purposes. The Anzac Highway animation shows the cars stopped on both the now removed off-ramp to Anzac Highway and along Anzac Highway itself.

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#5904 Post by shiftaling » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:49 am

AG wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:47 am
It's interesting how the animations have been put together for political purposes. The Anzac Highway animation shows the cars stopped on both the now removed off-ramp to Anzac Highway and along Anzac Highway itself.
I guess it could be called political but on the other hand if they are just illustrating a design problem that would have occurred under the old design then it's probably fair enough?

[Shuz]

#5905 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:06 am

The James Congdon Drive (JGD) connection really is just a better but not perfect solution to providing a second city exit rather than lumping it all on Anzac Highway, but I have concersn that the problem is just being split and pushed further north. I wouldn't be surprised if induced demand necissates the need to utilise the extra land that has been resumed around JGD and that the design gets revised again in the future for a northbound exit ramp overpass which leads onto JGD directly into the city without having to go through traffic lights.

They made a good call adding the extra on and off ramps at JGD, but still disappointed that no on or off ramps have been put in place anywhere along the Southern Tunnel, especially at Daws and Cross Roads.

Brickworks portal is a marked improvement on the previous design solution. It definitely looks like part of Hindmarsh Cemetary will have to been resumed to allow for the bend. Of you look at the satellite imagery on Google Maps - I suspect the newer greener part of the cemetery will be up for acquisition.

The maps provided seem deliberately vague - this is very likely down to DIT learning from the lessons of the MATS 1969 Plan where transport planners quite literally superimposed the scale of the proposed roadworks on top of satellite maps which showed the sheer scale of property acquisitions required.

It's politically palatable and easier to to sell this to the public and leave it to the commoners to imagine and have a rough idea of something, than it is to give them the exact details. Less complaints that way.

Aside from those directly affected by the roadworks, I'm sure the majority of Adelaidians agree that this is well overdue and want to see works started sooner rather than later.

Although it is well overdue and needed, I do have to wonder where the hell are we getting $15.5b from? Even on a 50/50 split if they can manage to convince the Feds, $7.75b is a shit ton of money for the State to dish out on one project. I know that this is spaced out over the next 8-9 years so roughly a billion bucks per year, but it's still an awful lot of money for a small population base and economy.

I don't expect to see much in the way of other significant infrastructure projects coming to fruition as the NS Corridor is built. Things like the East West Link and CBD rail tunnel will have to wait until afterwards.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Llessur2002

#5906 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:24 am

AG wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:47 am
And in the still images the grass is greener and the sky is bluer in the 'after' version :)

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#5907 Post by Eurostar » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:39 am

Images from social
Attachments
Screenshot_20221215-113713_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221215-113719_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221215-113725_Facebook.jpg

Nort

#5908 Post by Nort » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:18 pm

Here's hoping that areas like the James Congden and Richmond Road section aren't just giant areas of grey. Those vegetated areas are usually the first to get downgraded to expanses of gravel or bare paving.

Llessur2002

#5909 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:39 pm

Nort wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:18 pm
Here's hoping that areas like the James Congden and Richmond Road section aren't just giant areas of grey. Those vegetated areas are usually the first to get downgraded to expanses of gravel or bare paving.
That's what I was thinking and I really don't hold out very much hope at all. T2T is currently looking bloody awful.

What was promised:

Reality:

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#5910 Post by Saltwater » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:09 pm

Anytime artists impressions involve any green grass is a huge red flag. Even if said lawn is installed, give it twelve months to survive tops for lack of watering and care.