University of South Australia | Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

Re: University of South Australia | Developments & News

#361 Post by ozisnowman » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:24 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:33 pm
whatchu talking about, the annual budget of the two universities is around $1.6 billion annually combined, of course its about the dollars, and the best outcomes possible for students and taxpayers.
Best outcome for students? who you kidding!

Currently 2 different universities - same course can have 2 different ATAR etc entry scores? what will that be in future probably somewhere in between - either way some potential local students will miss out (but i get its all about the university budget, making money, etc etc)

Other thing universities have not been providing best outcomes for students ever since treasurer at the time Paul Keating introduced HECS - now they are even altering HECS fees to persuade students to study degrees that they think the economy needs. Yep lets get these students studying for degrees in fields that they dont have a passion for and end up becoming grumpy workers for the next 50 years in fields that they despise.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#362 Post by rev » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:24 pm

ozisnowman wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:24 pm
Saltwater wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:33 pm
whatchu talking about, the annual budget of the two universities is around $1.6 billion annually combined, of course its about the dollars, and the best outcomes possible for students and taxpayers.
Best outcome for students? who you kidding!

Currently 2 different universities - same course can have 2 different ATAR etc entry scores? what will that be in future probably somewhere in between - either way some potential local students will miss out (but i get its all about the university budget, making money, etc etc)

Other thing universities have not been providing best outcomes for students ever since treasurer at the time Paul Keating introduced HECS - now they are even altering HECS fees to persuade students to study degrees that they think the economy needs. Yep lets get these students studying for degrees in fields that they dont have a passion for and end up becoming grumpy workers for the next 50 years in fields that they despise.
So what's the alternative, study degrees for fields of work that have little to no job prospects?
What does that do for the economy?
Who does that help?

Perhaps the problem starts well before kids arrive at a University.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#363 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:55 am

I work for UoA and I'm excited by the merger. I think the sheer scale of the new institution will open up a lot of new opportunities both around a complete overhaul of program offerings and also in research - the latter is often ignored from conversations around why the merger shouldn't happen.

Due to the funding model of Australian universities, research is being increasingly driven by student revenue. Increased scale therefore = increased student revenue = increased research funding. Together with the $200 million research fund from the State Government I think a decade from now we'll look back and see clear benefits from the decision.

abc
Legendary Member!

#364 Post by abc » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:48 pm

rhino wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:27 am
abc wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:14 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:37 pm
Universities should be about the best outcomes for the students NOT taxpayers.
lol
that hasn't been the case for 30 years
That doesn't make it untrue. Somewhere along the line we dropped the ball, we need to fix that.
so this is where things are heading...
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeal ... istry.html
"Llessur2002" probably sees nothing wrong with this^^^

you won't fix it, you can't, you have no power

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#365 Post by floplo » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:22 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:55 am
I work for UoA and I'm excited by the merger. I think the sheer scale of the new institution will open up a lot of new opportunities both around a complete overhaul of program offerings and also in research - the latter is often ignored from conversations around why the merger shouldn't happen.

Due to the funding model of Australian universities, research is being increasingly driven by student revenue. Increased scale therefore = increased student revenue = increased research funding. Together with the $200 million research fund from the State Government I think a decade from now we'll look back and see clear benefits from the decision.
To be honest, you are probably the first colleague at UoA that I have heard to be excited. My department colleagues are more in the annoyed, frustrated, and exhausted camp (including our star researcher indicating that he is seriously considering leaving over this). One reason for that might be that my field isn't capital intensive, so the larger university scale is not really helping us in terms of research. Even more problematic, there are only a handful of people working in our field at UniSA, but there is a clear academic difference, so you can imagine what impact it will have when you get new colleagues that outrank you with an academic CV that would make it doubtful that they even would have been promoted to your level.

I am probably more ambivalent than most of my colleagues, mostly because of the part you mention that this allows for a complete overhaul of academic structures (and hallelujah, moving from four academic calendars to just one will be a god-sent, though not sure why it had to be 10 week trimesters....).
I agree that in hindsight there might be benefits visible, but that's because the costs that will be born by staff in the short-term are then no longer visible (to be somewhat too dramatic, but if you get to screw over one generation of staff then future generations can be benefit from it....)

However, I think this discussion should either move to the pub or get back to buildings....

In that spirit, my completely unfounded and speculative views on campus reorganization....
The main move should probably be to shift UniSA allied health from the East Campus to the West Campus and the rest of the medical fields. UniSA Business and "Creative" should move the other way (not sure if the building can be retrofitted, but the UniSA East Campus might make a nice building for a combined Business School (+ added others like Economics, Geography, etc). Not sure which direction the combined Law school should go (I guess depends if they build a new UniSA West building for allied health, if so then Law can probably move over there as well into the open business school space). I have no idea about UniSA Science/STEM/Engineering and if there are any benefits from combining with UoA or proximity to Lot14. If the business school moves, then Nexus10 on Pulteney & North Terrace would probably make a good admin building as it is already mainly an office-type building.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#366 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:45 pm

Is there a hiring freeze coming up?

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#367 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:36 pm

New 'micro' website for Adelaide University is up and running:

https://adelaideuni.edu.au/