COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

Re: Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade

#1531 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:08 pm

Maybe the country life would suit you best froggy. I dont think even after this extension has been completed, that the citys traffic is anywhere near bad as any other major city in Australia.

The whole point of these infrustruture enhancements are to sacrifice convienience for cars so that PT can be a speedy and as convienent as possible. The more people getting out of their cars to hop on a tram or even bus will make our city more greener.

Could you imagine Sydney or Melbourne with a PT system as bad as ours!

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#1532 Post by bmw boy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:18 pm

Who says none of us deal with the trams on a daily basis Froggy????

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#1533 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:26 pm

Froggy wrote:It's laughable for all of you in here to whinge about the people whinging about the tram because from what I've read, absolutley none of you deal with the tram on a daily basis to experience what everyone else has. The no right turns and the changes to light patterns and where you can and can't turn has turned our previously quick and easy city to navigate into a nightmare and the tram DOES back up traffic down north terrace every peak hour so that it hardly moves hence getting out of the car parks is impossible. Even the David Jones carpark that has lights gets about 1 or 2 cars out of it either way for an hour in peak because the traffic just doesn't move and it's backed up to the edge of the intersection. I won't stop whinging until they fill it in or fix the problems.
I do travel across King William Street by car every day and find it no problem at all. Times have not increased noticably at all. That is fact. You talk about no right turns but they have been prohibited for a long time during peak periods. Nothing has changed in that regard. And do you know what? Prohibiting right turns actually improves traffic flow. Hence it was brought in. If you think things would be better by having right turns along King William Street then, quite frankly, you have no idea at all.

Congestion is caused by cars, not trams. Only a fool would think otherwise.

I've asked you before which route you travel through the city that makes your travel time so long. You (perhaps conveniently) didn't respond. I'll give you the benefit and assume you didn't see it. So, I'll ask you again, which route do you travel? I'm happy to do you a favour here and even offer you some advice on how to get across the city because clearly you are having difficulty that the rest of us aren't.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#1534 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:38 pm

Froggy wrote:It's laughable for all of you in here to whinge about the people whinging about the tram because from what I've read, absolutley none of you deal with the tram on a daily basis to experience what everyone else has. The no right turns and the changes to light patterns and where you can and can't turn has turned our previously quick and easy city to navigate into a nightmare and the tram DOES back up traffic down north terrace every peak hour so that it hardly moves hence getting out of the car parks is impossible. Even the David Jones carpark that has lights gets about 1 or 2 cars out of it either way for an hour in peak because the traffic just doesn't move and it's backed up to the edge of the intersection. I won't stop whinging until they fill it in or fix the problems.
I got a solution for you. How about instead of whining about peak hour city traffic, why dont you do what 10's of thousands of other people do. Drive or bus to your nearest interchange and catch a tram or train to the city.

I also personally hate driving in the city, and living near Marion, the City of traffic jams, I hate driving anywhere. But hey, im doing my bit for the environment, i dont have to concentrate on driving and get frustrated by traffic, and im saving heaps of money. So save me your sad story about how you got stuck in a traffic jam, boohoo.... join the club.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1535 Post by Norman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:31 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:
I do travel across King William Street by car every day and find it no problem at all. Times have not increased noticably at all. That is fact. You talk about no right turns but they have been prohibited for a long time during peak periods. Nothing has changed in that regard. And do you know what? Prohibiting right turns actually improves traffic flow. Hence it was brought in. If you think things would be better by having right turns along King William Street then, quite frankly, you have no idea at all.

Congestion is caused by cars, not trams. Only a fool would think otherwise.

I've asked you before which route you travel through the city that makes your travel time so long. You (perhaps conveniently) didn't respond. I'll give you the benefit and assume you didn't see it. So, I'll ask you again, which route do you travel? I'm happy to do you a favour here and even offer you some advice on how to get across the city because clearly you are having difficulty that the rest of us aren't.
Just find the quickest route from Martin Hamilton-Smith's office in the government house building to the Southern Parklands ;)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1536 Post by crawf » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:07 pm

Didn't think it would be long for the clown to return

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#1537 Post by bmw boy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:09 pm

HAHHAHA nice 1 norm!

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1538 Post by frank1 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:11 pm

Froggy wrote: I won't stop whinging until they fill it in or fix the problems.
Why would the government waste money (in your opinion) building a 31m tram line then a few weeks
later have it pulled up? surely this would be a waste of tax payers money. Even if you hate them it is much
cheaper to leave it in and would not fix really any traffic problems as the small number of people (including buses)
who use to turn right on king william street held up the people going straight. I catch the bus everday on king william
street and it is much faster with the buses making hook turns onto north terrace as before the tram line was there
i would have to wait through 4-5 traffic light changes.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1539 Post by AG » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:41 pm

Before the Hook Turn at North Terrace was extended to be at all times of the day, Payneham Road bus routes 174, 176, 177, 178 and 179, O-Bahn routes M44 and F40 and Sixth Avenue bus 291 used to have a hell of a time turning right, now they never spend more than 1 cycle waiting to turn right and are a lot quicker (I use the 291 to Marden).

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1540 Post by frank1 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:01 pm

Yeah i know as i catch the 179 and some people refuse to believe that the tram has actually improved traffic flow. They just want something to complain about as they don't want adelaide to change. The streets of adelaide are some of the widest in the country and can easily accommodate both cars and trams, hey they did in the past or have people forgot that?

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1541 Post by rogue » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:26 pm

I missed froggy.....

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1542 Post by Paulns » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:16 pm

Froggy wrote:I won't stop whinging until they fill it in or fix the problems
Maybe this person should get a life.....

Whats done is done?
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1543 Post by frank1 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:59 pm

I think Pat.Conlon sums it up best. First it was criticized for being a waste of money and now for being
too popular.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#1544 Post by Bulldozer » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:30 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:I dont think even after this extension has been completed, that the citys traffic is anywhere near bad as any other major city in Australia.
Last Friday night we went to Movie World. The buses departed work at 5pm and we got there around 6:15pm. 95% of that trip is on a freeway. (The other 5% being being Ann St from near the Fringe Bar in the Valley to the Riverside Expressway.) We crawled along for a number of kilometres and eventually curiosity got the better of me so I looked out the front of the bus to see what was up. Nothing was up, it was just four lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic as far as I could see. That's four lanes in the same direction.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Adelaide does NOT have a traffic problem. In Adelaide I worked with someone from LA who found peoples gripes about "rush hour" to be rather amusing.

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#1545 Post by Diamond » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:38 pm

Bulldozer wrote:
jimmy_2486 wrote:I dont think even after this extension has been completed, that the citys traffic is anywhere near bad as any other major city in Australia.
In Adelaide I worked with someone from LA who found peoples gripes about "rush hour" to be rather amusing.
Hear hear!
Once you've experienced peak hour traffic starting from something like 5 in the morning (ala L.A.), then start your complaints.
Vladimir Putin - TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year 2007