News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#5791 Post by rhino » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:08 pm

A decent newsagent, maybe incorporating a post office.
A pharmacist.
A bottle shop.
Stores that sell stuff people want to pick up on their way home.
cheers,
Rhino

Patrick_27

#5792 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:23 pm

rhino wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:08 pm
A decent newsagent, maybe incorporating a post office.
A pharmacist.
A bottle shop.
Stores that sell stuff people want to pick up on their way home.
This. I see a railway station in the same light as an airport, what do people need that is convenient to buy immediately before/after their commute? Adelaide Airport for instance have made good on providing various retail offerings to compliment the abundance of food offerings, and like Rhino said above, a pharmacy and post office/decent Newsagent wouldn't go astray. Hell, even a small scale Tony & Marks, or a cafe that sells decent coffee and healthy takeaway breakfast/lunch options (something that is already catered for but note the use of the word: 'decent').

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#5793 Post by A-Town » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:43 pm

The Station Arcade already has a newsagent and a pharmacy (albeit a small one), but I agree that these would be better suited to being inside the main station hall as they'll capture more visitors.

On a slightly different topic, the rest of the Station Arcade is terribly daggy and in need of a facelift.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5794 Post by Spotto » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:30 pm

A-Town wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:43 pm
On a slightly different topic, the rest of the Station Arcade is terribly daggy and in need of a facelift.
Interesting to note, the raised features on the upper walls already echo the architecture of the station concourse, it would be nice to see a refurbishment paint up the arcade in sandstone/natural tones to give the feel that it's an extension of the station.

ChillyPhilly

#5795 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:08 pm

I think ARS needs its own thread.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#5796 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:13 pm

A Level Crossing Removal Program is being set up, which will initially look at removing three railway crossings:

- Cormack Rd, Wingfield
- Kings Rd, Parafield
- Park Tce, Salisbury

All three are long overdue and, frankly, need to start tomorrow (well, maybe not Kings Rd and Park Tce at the same tine given the chaos that'll ensue).

Feedback for these proposals can be given via https://www.dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructur ... XPLqbXBQuo

[Shuz]

#5797 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:38 am

Thanks for sharing that information. I've already provided some feedback.

Cormack Road and Kings Road can both be removed without the need for a shut-down of either the rail line or road as a new road bridge can be built to the north of the existing level crossings. I suggested realigning Cormack Road directly into Duncan Road and creating a new four way intersection with Churchill Road North and duplicating Duncan Road through to Cavan Road thereby reducing the number of left/right turns for freight traffic at the Churchill Road intersection. Cavan Road has more room for safer left/right turns. Both of these crossings can be constructed in a similar manner to the Ovingham level crossing removal project.

Park Terrace is a tricky one but I think it's doable if they did a half-and-half approach, lowered Park Terrace just a bit and built a rail bridge over. This allows for a gentle gradient of Park Terrace between Salisbury Highway and Gawler Street without the need to reconfigure either of those intersections. It also allows a rail bridge to be built with a gentle slope leading up to and from Park Terrace suitable for freight trains and not needing to rebuild the rail bridge over Salisbury Highway further north. Salisbury Station would be an elevated station. But not like 10 metres off the ground, it would be more like 3 metres above the ground level therefore making it less visually obtrusive and allow a smoother trnasition to bus services adjacent.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5798 Post by rev » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:38 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:13 pm
A Level Crossing Removal Program is being set up, which will initially look at removing three railway crossings:

- Cormack Rd, Wingfield
- Kings Rd, Parafield
- Park Tce, Salisbury

All three are long overdue and, frankly, need to start tomorrow (well, maybe not Kings Rd and Park Tce at the same tine given the chaos that'll ensue).

Feedback for these proposals can be given via https://www.dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructur ... XPLqbXBQuo
Better to do it at once and get it over and done with.
Even if they did it individually, there'd still be people who complain because the delays are for a longer period.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#5799 Post by Eurostar » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:11 am

Should be rail trench from just before Parafield to just after Park Terrace. And connect Frost Road to Spains Road providing a new east-west connection thus taking pressure off of Park Terrace and Kings Road.

[Shuz]

#5800 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:38 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:11 am
Should be rail trench from just before Parafield to just after Park Terrace. And connect Frost Road to Spains Road providing a new east-west connection thus taking pressure off of Park Terrace and Kings Road.
Whilst a rail trench that distance would be the most costly option, if one were going to go down that path you'd also connect Jago Street to Banks Street and provide another east west connection.

Unfortunately I think all of these projects are at exttemely high risk of the cheapest option being built rather than the most effective option in terms of social, environmental and long term economic benefit. The government will want to make it look like they are doing something and tick a few boxes off for votes than actually delivering optimal outcomes.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#5801 Post by SBD » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:05 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:38 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:11 am
Whilst a rail trench that distance would be the most costly option, if one were going to go down that path you'd also connect Jago Street to Banks Street and provide another east west connection.

Unfortunately I think all of these projects are at exttemely high risk of the cheapest option being built rather than the most effective option in terms of social, environmental and long term economic benefit. The government will want to make it look like they are doing something and tick a few boxes off for votes than actually delivering optimal outcomes.
Is the corridor wide enough to dig a trench without closing the interstate freight line for six months? If it's closed for long enough that the users all find viable alternate methods of moving their freight, it might never return to that railway.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#5802 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:37 pm

The final piece has arrived!
This rail car completes the twelfth and final electric train on order as part of the Gawler rail line electrification project.
The custom-fitted rail car, crafted by Alstom in Dandenong, Victoria, journeyed through the south-east to reach Seaford Depot today.
https://www.facebook.com/DFITSA/posts/p ... mNMoQMAAnl
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Leigh744
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5803 Post by Leigh744 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:46 pm

Is there expected to be a new timetable in place soon now that all services are electric along the Gawler line?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5804 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:02 pm

Leigh744 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:46 pm
Is there expected to be a new timetable in place soon now that all services are electric along the Gawler line?
Yes, once all the active crossings have been turned on, because trains still have to crawl through those at 25km/h. Apparently this will be done by the end of the year. I really don't know why it's taking this long to enable them!

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#5805 Post by baytram366 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:43 am

Not sure if its been mentioned anywhere but I noticed last week that the pedestrian crossing across the tracks behind North Adelaide Golf Course is still fenced off. This crossing was upgraded as part of the Gawler line works but still sits there unused. Anyone know why?
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections