News & Discussion: Electricity Infrastructure

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Electricity Infrastructure

#1186 Post by PD2/20 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:30 pm

abc wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:16 pm
the spin from you people is unbelievable

its like a religion or dare I say cult
Would you like to inform us what it is that you consider spin and why?

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1187 Post by Aidan » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:31 am

abc, your posts seem to have as much spin as anyone else's on this thread.

You also have quite poor comprehension: you mistook a post about a fire in a coal mine for an assumption about your opinion on coal seam gas!

I notice you posted a map of the coal fired power stations under construction but not the ones closing down. Some would say that was misleading. But I presume you posted it because you want to know why any at all are still being built. So here are some reasons:
  • Not everywhere in the world is sunny or windy.
  • Some places have too high a population density, so don't have space for enough solar and wind power to satisfy energy demands, but aren't well suited to nuclear power either (for technical or political reasons).
  • Using local coal is cheap in low wage countries, especially when environmental costs are ignored.
  • When construction started, transitioning to 100% renewables didn't seem to be possible.
  • Some power stations are built for political purposes rather than to serve a genuine need.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1188 Post by abc » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:47 pm

Aidan wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:31 am

You also have quite poor comprehension: you mistook a post about a fire in a coal mine for an assumption about your opinion on coal seam gas!

I notice you posted a map of the coal fired power stations under construction but not the ones closing down. Some would say that was misleading. But I presume you posted it because you want to know why any at all are still being built. So here are some reasons:
  • Some places have too high a population density, so don't have space for enough solar and wind power to satisfy energy demands, but aren't well suited to nuclear power either (for technical or political reasons).
  • Using local coal is cheap in low wage countries, especially when environmental costs are ignored.
  • When construction started, transitioning to 100% renewables didn't seem to be possible.
  • Some power stations are built for political purposes rather than to serve a genuine need.
this was the post I was responding to

now would you like to retract your statement?

it seems comprehension is your problem
mattblack wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:03 pm
abc wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:39 pm
PD2/20 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:41 pm

Genex Power, the owner and operator of the Bouldercombe Battery today issued an ASX announcement regarding the fire https://app.sharelinktechnologies.com/a ... baa65f64c6 .

The fire was described as minor, of low intensity and affecting only 1 of the 40 Megapack modules.
can't be put out with water

firefighters had no choice but to allow to burn out

do you still think this is good for the environment?
Give me a break with your diatribe.

Ever heard of a coal seam fire. Burned for 45 days in 2014. Long term affects on residents of the La Trobe Valley. There are hundreds/thousands around the world uncontrolled.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... tudy-finds

Go find some context.

PeFe

#1189 Post by PeFe » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:44 pm

Aidan wrote:
Sorry but I disagree......everywhere in the world is either sunny and/or windy. Even in climatic extremes like Antartica where the sun disappears for totally for 3 months and practically for 6 months you still have wind.....in fact it is the windiest place on earth and combine that with storage...

Some places have too high a population density, so don't have space for enough solar and wind power to satisfy energy demands, but aren't well suited to nuclear power either (for technical or political reasons).
Well lets take Hong Kong for example, yes its really dense and land is at a premium but that doesn't stop you installing rooftop solar on as many buildings as possible and building pumped hydro in the mountainous regions, plus batteries of course.
So making Hong Kong 100% renewable is doable.

Even in deserts 100% renewables is still possible......guaranteed solar every day, store excess energy in batteries etc. Where there is a will there is a way and there is lot of research world wide to build batteries/storage that is cheaper than lithium-ion batteries. The story continues.

rubberman

#1190 Post by rubberman » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:39 pm

abc wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:47 pm
Aidan wrote:

mattblack wrote:
abc wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:39 pm

can't be put out with water

firefighters had no choice but to allow to burn out

do you still think this is good for the environment?

Ever heard of a coal seam fire. Burned for 45 days in 2014. Long term affects on residents of the La Trobe Valley. There are hundreds/thousands around the world uncontrolled.

Go find some context.
So are you abc? Is this an alt account?

Coal seam fire =/= coal seam gas. Two different things.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1191 Post by abc » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:23 pm

rubberman wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:39 pm
abc wrote:
Aidan wrote:

mattblack wrote:

Go find some context.

nowhere in the article does it say "coal seam"

so why call it coal seam?

rubberman

#1192 Post by rubberman » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:34 pm

abc wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:23 pm
rubberman wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:39 pm
abc wrote:

nowhere in the article does it say "coal seam"

so why call it coal seam?
Because coal is deposited in layers called "seams". The article didn't have to specify that. It's reasonably common knowledge. Nobody expects news media to list definitions of every term they use.

SBD

#1193 Post by SBD » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:31 pm

Could you two please stop picking on each other and get back to discussing electricity infrastructure?

rubberman

#1194 Post by rubberman » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:24 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:31 pm
Could you two please stop picking on each other and get back to discussing electricity infrastructure?
There's at least five regular posters in the discussion...and it is about electricity infrastructure. :mrgreen:

abc
Legendary Member!

#1195 Post by abc » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:13 pm

remind me how the wonder battery prevented the recent power outages across Adelaide....

I'll wait

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#1196 Post by cocoiadrop » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:00 pm

Because a battery can't prevent high speed winds from knocking down trees and lines, just like a coal plant can't?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1197 Post by SRW » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:33 pm

images-3.jpeg
images-3.jpeg (8.17 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
Keep Adelaide Weird

abc
Legendary Member!

#1198 Post by abc » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:19 am

SBD wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:16 pm
abc wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:38 pm
mattblack wrote:

Go find some context.
why do you assume I support coal seam gas?

if you want context maybe start with the fact these batteries generate zero electricity
Correct - they don't generate electricity. They store it from times with excess generation to be released at times of excess demand. They also provide various kinds of technical modulation that had traditionally been provided by heavy flywheels. It seems like in a few years time, just about every major substation in the network will have a battery farm next to it. I assume this will improve resilience to adverse events that remove long transmission lines at random such as the big storm a few years ago. I think the batteries have just about taken over the need for the synchronous condensers that were only installed a few years ago to compensate for the loss of spinning "baseload" (always on) generators.
cocoiadrop wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:00 pm
Because a battery can't prevent high speed winds from knocking down trees and lines, just like a coal plant can't?
and here is my point all along...

:roll:

Aidan

#1199 Post by Aidan » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:31 pm

abc, there’s a big difference between the long transmission lines and the shorter distribution lines. The latter are much more vulnerable, but affect far fewer people.

More batteries in the metro area would reduce vulnerability to transmission line faults, though as these are rare it probably wouldn’t make much difference to overall reliability.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

SBD

#1200 Post by SBD » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:16 pm

Aidan wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:31 pm
abc, there’s a big difference between the long transmission lines and the shorter distribution lines. The latter are much more vulnerable, but affect far fewer people.

More batteries in the metro area would reduce vulnerability to transmission line faults, though as these are rare it probably wouldn’t make much difference to overall reliability.
Maybe once enough houses have solar and centrally controlled batteries, distribution failures can be isolated and individual streets can work as islands. That would take some major rethinking by SAPN to make able to happen, and require battery owners to be prepared to have their output controlled.