News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Spotto
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#5881 Post by Spotto » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:57 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:33 am
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=RtaFA8

Gawler line closure for pedestrian crossing installations and Elizabeth turnback
The Elizabeth turnback? Wasn’t that built over a decade ago when the line was renewed?

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#5882 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:19 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:33 am
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=RtaFA8

Gawler line closure for pedestrian crossing installations and Elizabeth turnback
In recent weeks there has been quite a bit of preparatory work. At War Memorial drive a work compound has been established next to the pedestrian crossing, the base for the crossing control cabinet has appeared and power transformer for crossing lighting. At N Adelaide the control cabinet installed during the resignalling has been removed! From N Adelaide to Islington a number of new LED signals have been installed or commissioned.

The reference to the Elizabeth Turnback is puzzling. Signals and points were installed during the electrification/resignalling. The turnback was indeed constructed around 2013 but were subsequently removed and replaced with plain rail when the electrification was cancelled in 2014.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5883 Post by Spotto » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:17 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:19 pm
The reference to the Elizabeth Turnback is puzzling. Signals and points were installed during the electrification/resignalling. The turnback was indeed constructed around 2013 but were subsequently removed and replaced with plain rail when the electrification was cancelled in 2014.
Can you clarify “replaced with plain rail”? From Google Earth it looks like the turnback has physically been there ever since it was built.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#5884 Post by PD2/20 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:23 pm

Spotto wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:17 pm
PD2/20 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:19 pm
Can you clarify “replaced with plain rail”? From Google Earth it looks like the turnback has physically been there ever since it was built.
The last sentence should have read "The turnback was indeed constructed around 2013 but the point blades were subsequently removed from the through tracks and replaced with plain rail when the electrification was cancelled in 2014". This is visible in the current Google Earth images from 2018. The turnback track remained in situ but was inaccessible.

Sorry for the omission.

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#5885 Post by RetroGamer87 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:34 am

Ho Really wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:04 am
One of my earliest concepts with the Gawler line going through the CBD to Unley and onto Millswood. With also new subways running from the northeast to south and southeast.

Cheers
It is a very nice concept. Unfortunately, if they ever go underground, they'll probably avoid tunneling under the Torrens.

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#5886 Post by RetroGamer87 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:39 am

Norman wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:55 pm
MT269 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:28 am
In contrast to the well received suggestions of demolishing stations for the purpose of amalgamating them, I was wondering if there would be enough demand for a new station immediately north of the Onkaprainga River bridge on the Seaford line. There seems to be a modest number of houses nearby, and it would save folks from having to go to Noarlunga or even Seaford Meadows to make the train.

I was also thinking that if there is enough demand, an additional station about 1.5kms south of Hallett Cove Beach could be built to serve the shoeboxes that will inevitably end up there, as well as saving folks from having to venture up to 1.5kms north in all sorts of conditions. There is also an industrial area just to the south which has no rail access.

Maybe even a branch line to the west to serve the ocean as well, via some sort of pier.

And how was the concept of closing Clapham, Hawthorn, and Milswood received in the 1990s when the line to Belair became single line operation? Was it met with roses being planted on parliment house, and celebrations?
In the 1980s, before the Southern Expressway was built, the Seaford Line Extension was proposed to go along Old Honeypot Road, with a station just south of Cardijn College. The line would then continue south along what was then proposed to be called the "Noarlunga Freeway" and terminated at Perry Road.
So much of the land in the area you described is still undeveloped.

It seems strange that they would build houses further out from the city when there are still fields closer to the city. Has that land been set aside for some other purpose?

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5887 Post by SBD » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:32 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:39 am
Norman wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:55 pm
MT269 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:28 am
In contrast to the well received suggestions of demolishing stations for the purpose of amalgamating them, I was wondering if there would be enough demand for a new station immediately north of the Onkaprainga River bridge on the Seaford line. There seems to be a modest number of houses nearby, and it would save folks from having to go to Noarlunga or even Seaford Meadows to make the train.

I was also thinking that if there is enough demand, an additional station about 1.5kms south of Hallett Cove Beach could be built to serve the shoeboxes that will inevitably end up there, as well as saving folks from having to venture up to 1.5kms north in all sorts of conditions. There is also an industrial area just to the south which has no rail access.

Maybe even a branch line to the west to serve the ocean as well, via some sort of pier.

And how was the concept of closing Clapham, Hawthorn, and Milswood received in the 1990s when the line to Belair became single line operation? Was it met with roses being planted on parliment house, and celebrations?
In the 1980s, before the Southern Expressway was built, the Seaford Line Extension was proposed to go along Old Honeypot Road, with a station just south of Cardijn College. The line would then continue south along what was then proposed to be called the "Noarlunga Freeway" and terminated at Perry Road.
So much of the land in the area you described is still undeveloped.

It seems strange that they would build houses further out from the city when there are still fields closer to the city. Has that land been set aside for some other purpose?
I can't work out if this is the fault of Renewal SA or of property developers, but it is the same at the northern end of town. There are new developments in the "Playford North Extension" area adjacent to the Northern Expressway, which is fine, and was scheduled for development anyway, although I thought not this early.

However there are also three large developments between Willaston (north end of Gawler) and Roseworthy and the government made much fanfare about "releasing for housing" land at Concordia (east of Gawler).

There are two large tracts of land that were "released for housing" by the Rann or Weatherill Government around 2010 or 2011. They were called Blakeview West adjacent to the Blakes Crossing development and Blakeview East on the higher land to the east. Blakes Crossing has streets that stop at the boundary. A developer had a masterplan for Blakeview East. Both have grown crops every season since (it was harvested last week).

To keep on the theme of this thread - at least the Roseworthy developments and Concordia land are adjacent to unused broad gauge railway lines.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#5888 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:14 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:10 am
Ah, I missed that - I thought it was only 3121/22. 3017 wasn't paired with 3009 yesterday, but with I think 3020 or thereabouts (I didn't make it that far up the platform and only saw it from a distance). Whatever it was it wasn't green-wrapped and I noticed that whilst 3017 had the green wrapping it didn't have the Hybrid Technology graphics that 3121/22 have.
Another 3100 set has been converted and green wrapped: 3131/32.

abc
Legendary Member!

#5889 Post by abc » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:56 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:34 am
Ho Really wrote:
One of my earliest concepts with the Gawler line going through the CBD to Unley and onto Millswood. With also new subways running from the northeast to south and southeast.

Cheers
It is a very nice concept. Unfortunately, if they ever go underground, they'll probably avoid tunneling under the Torrens.
why? Its only about 3 feet deep if you ever seen it drained

not that we'll ever see an underground line anywhere in Adelaide in our lifetimes

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#5890 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:48 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Ho Really wrote:

Cheers
Imagine the people of Unley/Millswood sharing a line with the Gawler line - Prue and Trude meets Dazza and Shazza :D

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#5891 Post by Saltwater » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:45 pm

I like the idea of the Gawler line travelling underground through the CBD and connecting with the Seaford Line. They're the lines with the highest usage so let's connect them up and run them as a proper metro service, and get building along both lines.

As for north meets south, there's a similar arrangement in Sydney where the Western line turns into the North Shore line

rhino

#5892 Post by rhino » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:44 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Ho Really wrote:

Cheers
I would like to see that airport tramline go around the NE end of the runway, then follow a widened (and prettied up) Richmond Road, then through the South Park Lands parallel to Greenhill Road and join the existing tramline to travel all the way through the city, rather than just to the northern edge.
cheers,
Rhino

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#5893 Post by RetroGamer87 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:29 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:45 pm
I like the idea of the Gawler line travelling underground through the CBD and connecting with the Seaford Line. They're the lines with the highest usage so let's connect them up and run them as a proper metro service, and get building along both lines.

As for north meets south, there's a similar arrangement in Sydney where the Western line turns into the North Shore line
We may see that in real life in one or two decades but I suspect the northern entrance to the tunnel will be south of the Torrens.

ChillyPhilly

#5894 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:22 pm

For anyone interested. A visual refresh of Mile End Railway Station.

I personally think the whole station needs to be replaced, but that's another story.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

abc
Legendary Member!

#5895 Post by abc » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:44 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:22 pm
For anyone interested. A visual refresh of Mile End Railway Station.

I personally think the whole station needs to be replaced, but that's another story.
it already has artwork
https://maps.app.goo.gl/kiHwWA1q9i4gNTwb7