[COM] Festival Plaza Tower 1 | 115m | 27 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Festival Plaza Incl. 115m Tower | $800 million

#1921 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:40 pm

I’ve had a bit of an epiphany I don’t really believe Adelaide should have a second tower next to the current tower and festival Plaza site. I feel like Adelaide should start thinking about maintaining its current old heritage buildings instead. Let’s face it we will never be like Melbourne, will never be super modern or forward thinking, so we should really start making a brand for ourselves as a European city with beautiful architecture, and not trying to catch up with the rest of the country with glass sculptures and skyscrapers. We’ve got one festival tower. Let’s leave it at that.

Imagine some of you might agree

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#1922 Post by Mpol02 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:51 am

Thanks for that ted talk.

I actually think Adelaide can be progressive and forward thinking. I think there is quite alot of boomer/old money in power that prevents that.

We have so much space in our CBD. We don’t need to build here.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#1923 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:05 am

But why be progressive when you’ve got Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Perth doing that too. It’s just reality we will never be able to catch up, and we should stick to what we’re good at, being a small European style city.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#1924 Post by Mpol02 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:01 am

And just be like those cities and have an identity all of it own?

Melbourne Sydney and Brisbane are hardly that progressive in the grand scheme of things.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1925 Post by abc » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:05 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:05 am
But why be progressive when you’ve got Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Perth doing that too. It’s just reality we will never be able to catch up, and we should stick to what we’re good at, being a small European style city.
We're more like a small North American style city. There's nothing European about it with the suburbs beginning at 500m from the town centre. We don't even have an 'inner city'.

Regardless, what you want or not, it is what it is and practical geographical, economic and expediency factors will determine its direction.

likeperu
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1926 Post by likeperu » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:05 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:05 am
What’s with all these comparisons? We’re not any those cities, this is about the progression of Adelaide irrespective of what’s going on over there.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1927 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:58 pm

I visited Melbourne last week, the first time since February. Having previously lived there almost a decade ago for five years, I was shocked at how overcrowded, dirty and soulless it has become. Any appeal I once had for living there has certainly gone. Of course, Melbourne has always been a bit gritty and that was they marketed as their aesthetic, but it has really got away from those in government. I understand the underground rail project is contributing to some of the ick and disorder around Swanston Street/Fed Square, but it's not just there, it's everywhere. Hell, even their inner city is not that appealing, Richmond Train Station for instance is a foul.

Anywho, something in particular that I noticed is that their construction of high rises buildings is routine and almost operating like a production line. One example I note was on a big CBD site on Collins Street near the corner of Spencer Street, they were simultaneously still in the demolition phase of the old at one end of the site whilst already at the pilling stage at the other end of the site, that speaks volumes of the demand for premium offices and apartments.

I agree that Adelaide is more of the same ilk as a smaller US city, think Des Moine or Portland, but that still highlights what Viny was saying that less is more. Aside from LA, Philly, New York, Chicago; most US cities have only a handful of taller high-rise buildings and the rest is significantly low rise, similar to how Perth looked 10 years ago. So it's with that in mind, I'd rather Adelaide have fewer developments of the larger scale and they be thoughtful inclusions to our skyline rather than some of the corner cutting crap we've seen go up here.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1928 Post by SRW » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:22 pm

The government will spend another $34 million on the Festival Centre to upgrade its fire system to current standards, which inexplicably wasn't done when the Centre was closed for more than a year during the last upgrade.
https://indaily.com.au/news/2023/12/21/ ... et-update/

Of note, "additional work would be done to improve the plaza’s connection with Elder Park and provide a “seamless integration”." I can only hope this means revisiting the ramp/former amphitheatre area, which is a total failure that disconnects not only plaza from park but the promenade from shell to shell. Add to that, the carpark entrance on King William Road is an astonishing pedestrian hazard on what's supposed to be a significant connection from city to park.
Keep Adelaide Weird

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#1929 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:36 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:22 pm
The government will spend another $34 million on the Festival Centre to upgrade its fire system to current standards, which inexplicably wasn't done when the Centre was closed for more than a year during the last upgrade.

Of note, "additional work would be done to improve the plaza’s connection with Elder Park and provide a “seamless integration”." I can only hope this means revisiting the ramp/former amphitheatre area, which is a total failure that disconnects not only plaza from park but the promenade from shell to shell. Add to that, the carpark entrance on King William Road is an astonishing pedestrian hazard on what's supposed to be a significant connection from city to park.
Some further pictures here: https://glamadelaide.com.au/adelaide-fe ... on-revamp/

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1930 Post by SRW » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:43 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:36 pm
SRW wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:22 pm

Some further pictures here: https://glamadelaide.com.au/adelaide-fe ... on-revamp/
So yes, they will be getting rid of the ramp in favour of stairs and lift. Sadly, it doesn't look like they're doing anything to the weird grassy tiered area, so the new stairs will still lead down to an unresolved space.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Llessur2002

#1931 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:12 am

SRW wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:43 pm
So yes, they will be getting rid of the ramp in favour of stairs and lift. Sadly, it doesn't look like they're doing anything to the weird grassy tiered area, so the new stairs will still lead down to an unresolved space.
I don't mind that bit - I always presumed it was a nod to the old amphitheater.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#1932 Post by floplo » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:47 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:12 am
SRW wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:43 pm
I don't mind that bit - I always presumed it was a nod to the old amphitheater.
To be honest, when I first saw the current configuration I actually thought it was an amphitheatre type outdoor event space... And they actually should turn it into one when they get rid of the ramps...

Llessur2002

#1933 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:01 am

floplo wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:47 pm
To be honest, when I first saw the current configuration I actually thought it was an amphitheatre type outdoor event space... And they actually should turn it into one when they get rid of the ramps...
That's what I presumed its intention was too. I do quite often see people sitting on the tiers looking out over the Torrens but haven't ever seen an event of any description taking place there. There's no reason why it wouldn't work though.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1934 Post by SRW » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:31 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:01 am
floplo wrote:
That's what I presumed its intention was too. I do quite often see people sitting on the tiers looking out over the Torrens but haven't ever seen an event of any description taking place there. There's no reason why it wouldn't work though.
IMO aside from being very exposed, the tiers are not deep or levelled enough to offer decent sight lines, and in any event, view only towards a bunch of utitlity boxes:
Screenshot 2024-01-09 112649.png
If it's imagined as an event space, than the former amphitheatre was maybe a better solution. However, we know the amphitheatre was unsuccessful, probably due to lack a programming, audience comfort, or both.
Keep Adelaide Weird

claybro

#1935 Post by claybro » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:51 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:31 am
Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:01 am
floplo wrote:
IMO aside from being very exposed, the tiers are not deep or levelled enough to offer decent sight lines, and in any event, view only towards a bunch of utitlity boxes:
Screenshot 2024-01-09 112649.png

If it's imagined as an event space, than the former amphitheatre was maybe a better solution. However, we know the amphitheatre was unsuccessful, probably due to lack a programming, audience comfort, or both.
These "are they steps...is it a ramp.... is it a seat?" things are popping up everywhere at present. In my observation- they are dangerous, and a confusing use of space. In some instances I have noticed they have already been altered after a short period as people tumble down trying to use them as steps etc. It looks rediculous, is not functional and in this case you can bet that the ACC will allow the lawn sections in between to become an overgrown mess in winter- and probably dead in summer. Sorry for the negative rant- but I think they are really in danger of over thinking this whole area now..it is starting to look tacky.