News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3901 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:37 pm

Ben wrote:Which has nothing to do with CBD retail...
Thanks Ben. Image

For context, we’ve discussed here how busy the Uniqlo CBD store is, how it feels small and if they’ll expand either into other levels within the Myer Centre or into another store (see attached).

This story confirms they will expand into another store (which will be bigger than the CBD) and it’s in large part due to the success of their CBD location:

“Thanks to exceptional customer support since the arrival of our first Uniqlo store in the city, we are delighted to announce our second store here this autumn,” Uniqlo’s Australian CEO Fuminori Adachi said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3902 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 am

Sensational Adelaide geeting a metion in the Advertiser this morning:
South Australians have mixed emotions about the new Myer Centre building as upgrades nearly complete

South Australians are expressing mixed feelings about the upgrade to the ­facade of Rundle Mall’s Myer Centre, with some shoppers saying it doesn’t impress them at all.

Since it opened in 1991 at a cost of $570m, the centre had sported a distinctive yellow and green exterior and had become an icon of the Adelaide CBD.

But after the heady early days of the Dazzeland amusement park in the top floor and full occupancy, it had struggled in recent times for tenants and escalators to upper floors had been removed.

Myer itself last year launched a legal claim against Singaporean landlord, YTL Starhill Global Real Estate Investment Trust. Myer argued it had the right to terminate its lease, alleging YTL had let the 32-year-old shopping centre deteriorate to the point its upper levels are littered with empty stores.

Also last year, Stallard Meek Flight Path Architects (SMFA) were engaged to design and upgrade the facade.

Those works, producing a far less colourful result, appear to be nearing completion.

Connie Grida, 68, from Trinity Gardens said she doesn’t think the change was necessary and she had only just noticed the change.

“I don’t think they needed to spend the money,” she said.

Theresa, 37, from Goolwa, said the building “doesn’t impress me” and it didn’t appear to be much of an upgrade.

Another local shopper, who asked not to be named, said the change had “taken away the nostalgia” from what was once an iconic building.

People have expressed even stronger feelings on an online Adelaide development forum.

“It’s so ugly! If I was making a movie about a soulless dystopian future, this is the type of building I’d put in it,” one user posted on Sensational Adelaide.

“The only positive I can find about the facade change is that it lets in more natural light for tenancies facing the mall,” another commenter said.

Yet another questioned whether the building’s colour would ­create issues. “Does it get a five-star energy rating for its use of black cladding on the western wall (laughing emoji)?” they posted.

However, some locals and tourists said they liked the look of the new facade.

Donna and Chris Groth, both 60 and from Brisbane, said they were just relieved to see a Myer as the one in their local shopping mall recently shut down.

“It looks great,” Ms Groth said. “It looks really nice … I love it,” Mr Groth said.

“It’s nice to see a Myer in the CBD, the one in our shopping mall shut down.”

Gary Moldenhauer, 67, from Adelaide, said he liked the look of the new facade and he considered it a worthy ­update.

“It looks aesthetic,” he said. “It’s an attractive pattern.”

SMFA and Myer declined to comment.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... db168b6361

ChillyPhilly

#3903 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:19 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 am
South Australians have mixed emotions about the new Myer Centre building as upgrades nearly complete

South Australians are expressing mixed feelings about the upgrade to the ­facade of Rundle Mall’s Myer Centre, with some shoppers saying it doesn’t impress them at all.

Since it opened in 1991 at a cost of $570m, the centre had sported a distinctive yellow and green exterior and had become an icon of the Adelaide CBD.

But after the heady early days of the Dazzeland amusement park in the top floor and full occupancy, it had struggled in recent times for tenants and escalators to upper floors had been removed.

Myer itself last year launched a legal claim against Singaporean landlord, YTL Starhill Global Real Estate Investment Trust. Myer argued it had the right to terminate its lease, alleging YTL had let the 32-year-old shopping centre deteriorate to the point its upper levels are littered with empty stores.

Also last year, Stallard Meek Flight Path Architects (SMFA) were engaged to design and upgrade the facade.

Those works, producing a far less colourful result, appear to be nearing completion.

Connie Grida, 68, from Trinity Gardens said she doesn’t think the change was necessary and she had only just noticed the change.

Theresa, 37, from Goolwa, said the building “doesn’t impress me” and it didn’t appear to be much of an upgrade.

Another local shopper, who asked not to be named, said the change had “taken away the nostalgia” from what was once an iconic building.

People have expressed even stronger feelings on an online Adelaide development forum.

“It’s so ugly! If I was making a movie about a soulless dystopian future, this is the type of building I’d put in it,” one user posted on Sensational Adelaide.

“The only positive I can find about the facade change is that it lets in more natural light for tenancies facing the mall,” another commenter said.

Yet another questioned whether the building’s colour would ­create issues. “Does it get a five-star energy rating for its use of black cladding on the western wall (laughing emoji)?” they posted.

Donna and Chris Groth, both 60 and from Brisbane, said they were just relieved to see a Myer as the one in their local shopping mall recently shut down.

“It looks great,” Ms Groth said. “It looks really nice … I love it,” Mr Groth said.

Gary Moldenhauer, 67, from Adelaide, said he liked the look of the new facade and he considered it a worthy ­update.

We're internet famous! :banana:
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3904 Post by Ben » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:00 pm

Veronica Maine and Cue have closed now in Adelaide Central Plaza after moving to Rundle Street. ACP would have been an ideal spot for a two level Zara fronting the mall and would fix the issue with the ever vacant second floor.

Commonwealth Bank will also close on 1st March.

Nathan

#3905 Post by Nathan » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:42 pm

Ben wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:00 pm
Veronica Maine and Cue have closed now in Adelaide Central Plaza after moving to Rundle Street. ACP would have been an ideal spot for a two level Zara fronting the mall and would fix the issue with the ever vacant second floor.

Commonwealth Bank will also close on 1st March.
And following on from that, Body Shop are moving to where Veronica Maine was. Not completely freeing up that side though, as some kind of luxury watch shop is opening where the Louis Vuitton pop-up was.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3906 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:10 pm

Update from around Rundle Mall today:

The Scooter Guy

#3907 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:59 am

The AFL Store on King William Street (where a chemist was) has unknowingly shut its doors again after just six years.
(It first opened next to Southern Cross Arcade in the mid 2000s but closed in the early 2010s)
I feel very bad for the people who have to consume petrol and their own time trekking to Marion for the other one. :oops:
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

abc
Legendary Member!

#3908 Post by abc » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:57 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:19 am
Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 am

We're internet famous! :banana:
well 3 of us are 8)

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3909 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:38 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:The AFL Store on King William Street (where a chemist was) has unknowingly shut its doors again after just six years.
(It first opened next to Southern Cross Arcade in the mid 2000s but closed in the early 2010s)
I feel very bad for the people who have to consume petrol and their own time trekking to Marion for the other one. :oops:
That trip to Marion may not be needed. New Sporting Giftworks opening soon on Rundle Mall next to Adidas.

ChillyPhilly

#3910 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:26 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:59 am
The AFL Store on King William Street (where a chemist was) has unknowingly shut its doors again after just six years.
Strange, it was open just days before your post.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3911 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:16 pm

New Sportsgirl Rundle Mall coming soon.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3912 Post by Ben » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:23 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:16 pm

I’m pretty sure this also includes the former spend less shoes store so it’s quite deep.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3913 Post by SRW » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:34 pm

Ben wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:23 pm
AndyWelsh wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:16 pm

I’m pretty sure this also includes the former spend less shoes store so it’s quite deep.
They've been doing stuff on the upper levels too so I wonder if the former Coffee Pot space is finally being updated.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3914 Post by SRW » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:39 pm

Lighting feature for new Myer Centre façade was on the other evening. Not exactly a redeeming feature, but better than without:
IMG_4497.JPG
IMG_4496.JPG
IMG_4495.JPG
Keep Adelaide Weird

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#3915 Post by Mpol02 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:05 pm

It seems Rundle mall is just a giant chess board of shops closing and relocating in new locations. Hardly ever any new stores coming through