SA Economy

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: SA Economy

#811 Post by mattblack » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:23 pm

Mods can u please clean this thread up including my post so it's kept to SA Economy and not this tit for tat conspiracy stuff that people really don't want or need.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#812 Post by mattblack » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:44 pm

SA government announced that WOMADelaide has been secured for another 5 years

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#813 Post by Jaymz » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:19 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:27 pm
South Australia has had negative interstate migration since the 1970s, as has New South Wales. It's been an ongoing issue for both states for a very long time.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. I thought S.A's net interstate migration losses only became entrenched from 90/91 onwards (State Bank collapse and extended recession). Happy to see some stats though, I might even look it up myself at some point.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#814 Post by rev » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:56 am

Copper boom driving BHP’s expansion plans in far north SA
Global demand for copper could drive a rush for SA’s buried treasure – but operating costs and productivity are crucial to the expansion plan.

Paul Starick
Editor At Large
@paulstarick
3 min read
March 12, 2024 - 5:30AM

Resources giant BHP is insisting operating costs and productivity will be crucial in deciding a multi-billion dollar expansion plan in SA’s far north, aimed at fuelling an extraordinary global demand for copper.

An estimated $150bn investment worldwide is needed to scale up production of up to 140 new copper mines by 2030 alone, a BHP report finds.

This unprecedented upsurge in production of copper, a highly efficient conduit for electricity generation, transmission and storage, would support the rapid and widespread deployment of clean energy technologies like renewable energy, nuclear power, battery storage and electric vehicles.

A deposit at Oak Dam is touted as a game-changer in BHP’s plans to create an SA copper province, centred on the flagship Olympic Dam mine.

But BHP chief executive officer Mike Henry has declared the copper business relies on driving high levels of competitiveness and productivity, saying capital and ongoing operating costs will be closely examined ahead of the expansion decision.

Mr Henry says “a wonderful opportunity” lies ahead in SA copper and praises the SA government for being “very constructive with business” to work together to “find out how we can unlock opportunities”.

“In the case of South Australian copper, we’re looking at the potential to expand to over 500,000 tonnes per annum of copper production there now that we’ve consolidated the broader basin,” Mr Henry said, when delivering half-year results on February 20.

“But we’re still working the numbers, and as I said in respect of nickel, copper is something that’s even more reliant upon competitiveness or being able to drive high levels of productivity than perhaps some other export businesses are here.

“And as we work these numbers, of course, one of the things that we’ll be looking at is the underlying cost base, both in terms of capital and in terms of ongoing operating costs.”

Mr Henry last June in Adelaide branded same job, same pay labour hire laws a “productivity killer” that would cost BHP $1.5bn a year and create an economic drag on the nation.

In a veiled reference to these new laws, Mr Henry said recent changes affected BHP’s operating costs “not in a good way”.

“But, as to whether the numbers still come together in a way that supports attractive enough returns for us (in SA) when compared against the opportunities we have in Canada or Chile or elsewhere, time will tell, it is still a work in process,” Mr Henry said.

“We remain hopeful and, like I said, we’re working quite constructively with the state government as well.”

BHP wants huge amounts of water to enable an Olympic Dam copper smelter upgrade, potentially tripling the current capacity from 0.5 megatonnes to 1.7 megatonnes.

This could be supplied by the Northern Water project, a 600km pipeline from a 260 megalitre per day desalination plant on Eyre Peninsula, near Tumby Bay, for which BHP and the state government are co-funding feasibility studies.

The BHP-backed report released last November, called Rebuilding Australia’s Competitiveness, finds the Gawler Craton region, including Olympic Dam, contains up to $24bn of copper, gold, silver and iron ore deposits.

The report says a clean energy transformation would be possible only through the scaling up of mineral production – with estimates suggesting up to 140 new copper mines, 60 new nickel mines, 50 new lithium mines and 17 new cobalt mines will be needed by 2030 alone.

Visiting Oak Dam on February 26, Premier Peter Malinauskas forecast the proposed expansion would create thousands upon thousands of new jobs.

Mr Malinauskas said the Northern Water desal plant and 600km pipeline could start supplying water by 2028 to drive the potential tripling of BHP’s copper smelter.

“What the world looks like if we achieve all those things is thousands upon thousands of more jobs,” he said.

“What we see is royalties, the revenue coming into the state government. But also, more importantly, a lift in the prosperity of our state more broadly, which is good for families.”

Asked then if BHP’s expansion plans could continue without Northern Water, BHP Copper South Australia asset president Anna Wiley said the project had been split into two phases to dramatically reduce reliance on taking water from the Great Artesian Basin.

“But it is incredibly important that we deliver both stage one – to support our existing operations – and stage two, to support our growth activities,” she said.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... nt-1-SCORE

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#815 Post by mattblack » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:38 pm

Mining exports soar

Release date: 15/03/24

South Australian mineral and petroleum exports increased by a remarkable 14.3 per cent to more than $5 billion in 2023, according to new Australian Bureau of Statistics figures.

Of our $17.9 billion export record in 2023 reported by the ABS, the resources sector contributed $5 billion, according to ABS data. However, this does not include a further $2 billion in confidential energy and mineral goods – mainly copper ores and uranium.

More than $3 billion of this $7 billion total came from iron and steel, refined copper and lead - highlighting the significance of our energy and mining sectors in driving South Australian’s export growth.

While copper was a significant export driver, our iron ore exports reach almost $1.2 billion for the 2023 calendar year - but there is a bigger opportunity.

We’re home to 16.8 billion tonnes of magnetite iron resource in the Northern Gawler, Southern Gawler and Braemar provinces that could be beneficiated here – using hydrogen.

The resources sector is already a pillar of South Australia’s economy. Exporting a value-added green product would be game-changing.

The sector’s 2023 exploration expenditure was the highest since 2012 - when Oz Minerals was spending tens of millions of dollars discovering the extent of the Carrapateena and Prominent Hill copper mines in the north, now owned by BHP.

Between April 2022 and December 2023, exploration expenditure under the Malinauskas Labor Government ($426 million) exceeded expenditure over all four years of the former Marshall Liberal administration ($368 million) – despite mining continuing to operate as a designated essential industry throughout the COVID pandemic.

abc
Legendary Member!

#816 Post by abc » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:48 pm

mattblack wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:38 pm
Mining exports soar

South Australian mineral and petroleum exports increased by a remarkable 14.3 per cent to more than $5 billion in 2023, according to new Australian Bureau of Statistics figures.

Of our $17.9 billion export record in 2023 reported by the ABS, the resources sector contributed $5 billion, according to ABS data. However, this does not include a further $2 billion in confidential energy and mineral goods – mainly copper ores and uranium.

More than $3 billion of this $7 billion total came from iron and steel, refined copper and lead - highlighting the significance of our energy and mining sectors in driving South Australian’s export growth.

While copper was a significant export driver, our iron ore exports reach almost $1.2 billion for the 2023 calendar year - but there is a bigger opportunity.

We’re home to 16.8 billion tonnes of magnetite iron resource in the Northern Gawler, Southern Gawler and Braemar provinces that could be beneficiated here – using hydrogen.

The resources sector is already a pillar of South Australia’s economy. Exporting a value-added green product would be game-changing.

The sector’s 2023 exploration expenditure was the highest since 2012 - when Oz Minerals was spending tens of millions of dollars discovering the extent of the Carrapateena and Prominent Hill copper mines in the north, now owned by BHP.

Between April 2022 and December 2023, exploration expenditure under the Malinauskas Labor Government ($426 million) exceeded expenditure over all four years of the former Marshall Liberal administration ($368 million) – despite mining continuing to operate as a designated essential industry throughout the COVID pandemic.
source premier of SA...
https://www.premier.sa.gov.au/media-rel ... ABS%20data.

are you working for him?

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#817 Post by mattblack » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:30 pm

abc wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:48 pm
mattblack wrote:
Mining exports soar

source premier of SA...

are you working for him?
What is the matter with you??

This is a thread about the SA Economy. Information about mining exports increasing by 14% is directly related to the SA Economy.

Seriously, get a life and stop bitching about peoples apparent political bias.

As already explained to you on several occasions, I have no political affiliations and are genuinely interested in the SA economy and seeing this state thrive as are many others on this site.

abc
Legendary Member!

#818 Post by abc » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:59 pm

mattblack wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:30 pm
abc wrote:
mattblack wrote:
Mining exports soar

source premier of SA...

are you working for him?

This is a thread about the SA Economy. Information about mining exports increasing by 14% is directly related to the SA Economy.

As already explained to you on several occasions, I have no political affiliations and are genuinely interested in the SA economy and seeing this state thrive as are many others on this site.
Context is important for the reader of such articles to know who authored them.

You should attribute sources of your articles. Its proper etiquette and in some cases legally required.
Unless you work in the office of the premier of course in which case you can claim it as your own work - hence why I asked.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#819 Post by SBD » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:26 pm

I like how the press release leaves an impression that the Malinauskas Government might have done something to facilitate the increased expenditure without actually saying it. What have they actually done for mining and exploration in this term?

Encouraged Terramin to work up a plan to reopen an old mine at Woodside, then at the last moment say "not now, not ever".

Maybe they had a hand in the final approvals to dig underground at Kanmantoo, but I suspect that was before them. Have they introduced uncertainty that Rex's Hillside project near Ardrossan seems to be dragging?

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#820 Post by mattblack » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:58 pm

abc wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:59 pm
mattblack wrote:
abc wrote:

source premier of SA...

are you working for him?

You should attribute sources of your articles. Its proper etiquette and in some cases legally required.
Unless you work in the office of the premier of course in which case you can claim it as your own work - hence why I asked.
Well you know what, as soon as you post something worthwhile abc, make sure that you use proper etiquette and abide by your legal obligations.

I would've thought its fairly obvious to most the way it is written and that it says 'release date' meaning press release, it is not something I just pulled out of my arse.

Until 'attribute sources' police come knocking, I'll continue to post as I see fit.

abc
Legendary Member!

#821 Post by abc » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:35 pm

mattblack wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:58 pm
abc wrote:
mattblack wrote:

Well you know what, as soon as you post something worthwhile abc, make sure that you use proper etiquette and abide by your legal obligations.

I would've thought its fairly obvious to most the way it is written and that it says 'release date' meaning press release, it is not something I just pulled out of my arse.

Until 'attribute sources' police come knocking, I'll continue to post as I see fit.
One must ask why someone would continually post press releases from the Premier on this website, especially in relation to the economy which is highly politicised...

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#822 Post by rev » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:44 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:26 pm
I like how the press release leaves an impression that the Malinauskas Government might have done something to facilitate the increased expenditure without actually saying it. What have they actually done for mining and exploration in this term?

Encouraged Terramin to work up a plan to reopen an old mine at Woodside, then at the last moment say "not now, not ever".

Maybe they had a hand in the final approvals to dig underground at Kanmantoo, but I suspect that was before them. Have they introduced uncertainty that Rex's Hillside project near Ardrossan seems to be dragging?
I'd say a lot of the ground work from a government perspective was done in previous Labor governments mostly.
It takes quite a few years to get a mine up and running, and minerals being exported.

Regardless of which government laid the ground work, the main focus should be that our mining industry is growing.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#823 Post by mattblack » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:55 pm

abc wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:35 pm
mattblack wrote:
abc wrote:

One must ask why someone would continually post press releases from the Premier on this website, especially in relation to the economy which is highly politicised...
You seem to be the one politicing it. I'm just posting info which I get from a variety of sources for people's benefit.

You know, one doesn't always have to question somebodies motives continuously because of your own bias.

If u have any info relating to the SA economy about impending doom and gloom that you seem to be gunning for, please post. I promise I won't question you motives.

abc
Legendary Member!

#824 Post by abc » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:06 pm

mattblack wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:55 pm
abc wrote:
mattblack wrote:

You seem to be the one politicing it. I'm just posting info which I get from a variety of sources for people's benefit.

You know, one doesn't always have to question somebodies motives continuously because of your own bias.

If u have any info relating to the SA economy about impending doom and gloom that you seem to be gunning for, please post. I promise I won't question you motives.
Why do you assume my biases?

You're wrong though, one should always question somebody's motivation. It informs us as to what's true and what isn't, or whether factoids have been spun up, cherry picked or not.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#825 Post by SBD » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:51 pm

abc wrote:

If the Opposition has released a rebuttal, feel free to post that too. Then we can do the Spin analysis to discuss where the truth might lie.