News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#4906 Post by RetroGamer87 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:17 am

Cross Road/Marion Road followed by South Road followed by the Seaford/Flinders/Belair line. Three bunny hops in a row. I almost wonder if it would be better to just raise up the section of tramline between Cross Road and Goodwood station and enable even more roads to go underneath.

urban
Legendary Member!

#4907 Post by urban » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:48 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:17 am
Cross Road/Marion Road followed by South Road followed by the Seaford/Flinders/Belair line. Three bunny hops in a row. I almost wonder if it would be better to just raise up the section of tramline between Cross Road and Goodwood station and enable even more roads to go underneath.
Surely then you extend to go over Goodwood Rd, but wait, then Greenhill roads not far away.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4908 Post by Spotto » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:25 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:17 am
The only level crossing in that section worth removing would be Leah Street/East Avenue, Beckman Street isn't a significant thoroughfare. It wouldn't be worth the cost and mass disruption to raise that entire section of track. And raising the tracks wouldn't necessarily mean that local streets would be connected for cars.

That hypothetical money would be far better spent on solving the nightmare at Morphett Road.

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#4909 Post by MT269 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:30 pm

I am so sick of these stupid consecutive governments believing that intersections provide better efficiency than grade separation. Particular when close to rail crossings.

The road network is an absolute mess. It requires billions of dollars, if not trillions of dollars to fix, when at the same time, public transport requires similar. What's the solution? To leave it as it is, and have the longest red light cycles possible, until no more cars can fit on the roads?

The South East freeway needs a complete rebuild from Glen Osmond to near Bridgewater to provide a steady gradient, with an overpass at Glen Osmond. But this could possibly consume the entire state budget at worst. If there was grade separation there, and another ramp for runaways, several accidents could've been averted, including one where a bus was rear ended.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4910 Post by SBD » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:59 pm

MT269 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:30 pm
I am so sick of these stupid consecutive governments believing that intersections provide better efficiency than grade separation. Particular when close to rail crossings.

The road network is an absolute mess. It requires billions of dollars, if not trillions of dollars to fix, when at the same time, public transport requires similar. What's the solution? To leave it as it is, and have the longest red light cycles possible, until no more cars can fit on the roads?

The South East freeway needs a complete rebuild from Glen Osmond to near Bridgewater to provide a steady gradient, with an overpass at Glen Osmond. But this could possibly consume the entire state budget at worst. If there was grade separation there, and another ramp for runaways, several accidents could've been averted, including one where a bus was rear ended.
That is the newest section of the South Eastern Freeway, and the constant grade has become part of the problem. The previous version had sharp turns and gradient variations so a runaway vehicle was less likely to reach the traffic lights.

There have also been a number of collisions that could have been avoided by duplicating the Swanport Bridge and continuing to upgrade the Dukes Highway.

Ultimately, any entrance to the suburban area on that route is always going to end at traffic lights somewhere. The roads continue downhill to Greenhill Road (on Portrush), Fullarton Road (on Glen Osmond) and Unley Road (on Cross) - at least, maybe even further.

The road can't be put in tunnels, as we would not want runaway vehicles to encounter traffic stopped at the lights in a tunnel, and probably not even in an open trench. We wouldn't want (parts of) a runaway truck collision to fall off of an elevated road onto residents, businesses and other traffic below either.

One possibility would be straight on through the hill at the bend a few kilometres back, and eventually join the north south motorway near Edwardstown. I'm not sure if that has any chance of avoiding the crash-in-a-tunnel problem though.

Another possibility is the Short South alternative in the 2019 GlobeLink Scoping Study report. A new freewway from Mount Barker to St Marys wouldn't stop all the heavy vehicles that use the SEF entrance, but could capture the ones coming from Mount Barker or beyond. It would also provide another route for all the people who are moving to Mount Barker for the "country lifestyle", but then move into new developments packed with houses with small backyards, and decide to commute to Adelaide anyway.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#4911 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:57 pm

Demolition for the Marion/Cross Road overpasses is continuing, with the old service station on the corner of Marion/Cross being knocked down this afternoon. A number of houses to the North of the tram between Marion/Cross have been fenced off
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

abc
Legendary Member!

#4912 Post by abc » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:00 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:57 pm
Demolition for the Marion/Cross Road overpasses is continuing, with the old service station on the corner of Marion/Cross being knocked down this afternoon. A number of houses to the North of the tram between Marion/Cross have been fenced off
that's going to have an interesting effect on traffic in the ensuing months

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4913 Post by Eurostar » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:04 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Why would that site need demolishing ?

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4914 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:04 pm
SouthAussie94 wrote:
Dilapidated eyesore. Could be used to store plant and construction vehicles.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4915 Post by Spotto » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:50 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:04 pm
SouthAussie94 wrote:
They’re adding dedicated left turn lanes to and from the eastern part of Cross Road which will encroach onto those properties.

Government buys the land, slices off what they need, then sells or repurposes it once the project is finished. The leftover land acquired for the Springbank/Daws Road intersection is being used for a new ambulance station.

I’m guessing that they might also use the old petrol station as a worksite/storage while they have ownership of it, since it’s already concreted.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#4916 Post by Dvious » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:40 am

I assume it would get turned in to a park rather than sold off. Cant imagine the site contamination would allow for a house to be built on it.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#4917 Post by SouthAussie94 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:29 pm

Dvious wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:40 am
I assume it would get turned in to a park rather than sold off. Cant imagine the site contamination would allow for a house to be built on it.
Contaminated land probably doesn't make for a great park either. In many ways, medium to high density housing with minimal garden is a good way of dealing with contaminated soil. Essentially cap the soil with concrete and 'forget' that its there. See Tonsley as an example of this
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

abc
Legendary Member!

#4918 Post by abc » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:36 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:29 pm
Dvious wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:40 am
Contaminated land probably doesn't make for a great park either. In many ways, medium to high density housing with minimal garden is a good way of dealing with contaminated soil. Essentially cap the soil with concrete and 'forget' that its there. See Tonsley as an example of this
Hungry Jack's get built on these sites.