[PRO] 188 Grenfell Street | 64m | 19 Levels | Student Accom

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: 188 Grenfell Street | 14lvls | 46m | Mixed Use

#46 Post by Nort » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:13 pm

abc wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:36 pm
Saltwater wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:23 pm
Save the Cranker firing into action. You heard it here first.

(I'm all for seeing our CBD grow up, just now historic pubs that are still a big part of our live music scene, when there are still plenty of other suitable sites available).
live music is going the way of boomers.

the kids want to see DJs play recorded music now
I'm guessing you haven't been to the Cranker in a while! "The kids" are very much into the live gigs played there.

abc
Legendary Member!

#47 Post by abc » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:18 pm

Nort wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:13 pm
abc wrote:
Saltwater wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:23 pm
Save the Cranker firing into action. You heard it here first.

(I'm all for seeing our CBD grow up, just now historic pubs that are still a big part of our live music scene, when there are still plenty of other suitable sites available).

I'm guessing you haven't been to the Cranker in a while! "The kids" are very much into the live gigs played there.
They are in a minority for their generation. Its no accident live venues are going the way of the dodo.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:17 pm

abc wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:18 pm
Nort wrote:
abc wrote:

They are in a minority for their generation. Its no accident live venues are going the way of the dodo.
Lol, the same baseless crap coming from abc. The decrease in venues servicing Adelaide’s live music scene is the result decades of different hurdles; poker machines being one, development being another, and to an extent how technology has allowed people access music. If you honestly believe that this menial development has more merit than the retention of a long-standing, prominent live music venue, then you’re a fool.

abc
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by abc » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:23 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:17 pm
abc wrote:
Nort wrote:

Lol, the same baseless crap coming from abc. The decrease in venues servicing Adelaide’s live music scene is the result decades of different hurdles; poker machines being one, development being another, and to an extent how technology has allowed people access music. If you honestly believe that this menial development has more merit than the retention of a long-standing, prominent live music venue, then you’re a fool.
you insult me, then you give reasons why you agree with me, then you insult me again, not to mention lie about what I think has merit

...and you call me a fool :lol:

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by HiTouch » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:09 pm

abc wrote:
Nort wrote:
abc wrote:

What a cooked comment, if you actually look at the numbers, live music venues are generally more profitable than ever in Adelaide's CBD, (for example, unibar's capacity needed to be expanded beyond cloysters to barr smith lawns). It's not a general thing either, if you go beyond Australia, the live music entertainment scenes in New Orleans, Jakarta, Chengdu, Bangkok and Singapore are at another level directly due to an increased population in middle class youth. With the increase in international students, this will only increase. However, "unsmart" and desperate development that we have been seeing recently will damage this demand. If they incorporated the cranker into the development somehow, it would be a different story but they haven't and they won't.

abc
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by abc » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:35 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:09 pm
abc wrote:
Nort wrote:

What a cooked comment, if you actually look at the numbers, live music venues are generally more profitable than ever in Adelaide's CBD, (for example, unibar's capacity needed to be expanded beyond cloysters to barr smith lawns). It's not a general thing either, if you go beyond Australia, the live music entertainment scenes in New Orleans, Jakarta, Chengdu, Bangkok and Singapore are at another level directly due to an increased population in middle class youth. With the increase in international students, this will only increase. However, "unsmart" and desperate development that we have been seeing recently will damage this demand. If they incorporated the cranker into the development somehow, it would be a different story but they haven't and they won't.
The Adelaide Unibar is probably the worst example you could've given to suggest live music venues in the CBD are more profitable than ever. Its part of a university FFS which has multiple funding sources.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#52 Post by HiTouch » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:44 pm

abc wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:35 pm
HiTouch wrote:
abc wrote:

The Adelaide Unibar is probably the worst example you could've given to suggest live music venues in the CBD are more profitable than ever. Its part of a university FFS which has multiple funding sources.
UniBar is a great proof that young people are into live music though... It also functions profitably on its own because of its established network with promoters... I know the directors. Would you like another venue example with young people engaged into a live music venue? Because I can give you heaps... How about Lion Arts Factory? It rebranded and targeted Gen Z because they knew that was where it was profitable...
ABC you are coming from an observation that because there are no Gen Z's listening to live music in your dreary pub where you complain your life away and yell at clouds, Gen Z's don't like live music.
But reality is Gen Z generally don't like going to pubs for live music (cranker being the exception), but they still like going to live music... maybe in breweries though? Go to Little Bang, Pirate Life, Smiling Samoyed. There will be Gen Zers there on a weekend enjoying live music. Wine Bars are also growing in live music popularity. You could bring up Enigma as an example of live music closing, but the problem is they never targeted Gen Z in the first place. That's the problem, live music operators don't adapt to target this demograph. Cranker did and are benefiting from it

I can tell you confidently that most pubs that have closed in Adelaide had a demographic of 60+. Yours included.

abc
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by abc » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:26 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:44 pm
abc wrote:
HiTouch wrote:

UniBar is a great proof that young people are into live music though... It also functions profitably on its own because of its established network with promoters... I know the directors. Would you like another venue example with young people engaged into a live music venue? Because I can give you heaps... How about Lion Arts Factory? It rebranded and targeted Gen Z because they knew that was where it was profitable...
ABC you are coming from an observation that because there are no Gen Z's listening to live music in your dreary pub where you complain your life away and yell at clouds, Gen Z's don't like live music.
But reality is Gen Z generally don't like going to pubs for live music (cranker being the exception), but they still like going to live music... maybe in breweries though? Go to Little Bang, Pirate Life, Smiling Samoyed. There will be Gen Zers there on a weekend enjoying live music. Wine Bars are also growing in live music popularity. You could bring up Enigma as an example of live music closing, but the problem is they never targeted Gen Z in the first place. That's the problem, live music operators don't adapt to target this demograph. Cranker did and are benefiting from it

I can tell you confidently that most pubs that have closed in Adelaide had a demographic of 60+. Yours included.
so now you're agreeing with me... gen Z ADHD... :roll:

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by HiTouch » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:25 pm

abc wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:26 pm
HiTouch wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:44 pm
abc wrote:

so now you're agreeing with me... gen Z ADHD... :roll:
If you’re competent, read the second part of the sentence.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by HiTouch » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:37 pm

Just to help dispel abc's clueless assertions that young people aren't into live music at the cranker, here's an article from the shatvertsier with the exact opposite. The cranker is far from the typical dreary and depressing pub that abc might be into. Maybe abc should head into the city to see what's around once in a while before making such clueless comments.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 40e4959c7

Thousands of music lovers are rallying to protect the future of CBD institution the Crown & Anchor, saying plans to develop multistorey student housing on the site have put the pub’s 171-year history “at great risk”.

A ‘Save the Cranka’ Facebook group supporting the petition, launched on Friday, has already gathered almost 4000 members.

“The Crown & Anchor Hotel is more than just a building. It’s a symbol of our community, our history, and our love for live music,” organiser Matt Barnes said.

“This hotel has significant heritage value, but more so its value as a cultural site. It is a church to many. A safe haven, a senate, a party, a listening ear, a delightful ale.

“The hotel serves as a meeting place, a melting pot of society where people from all walks of life come together.”
Last week, The Advertiser revealed Singapore-based purpose-built student accommodation developer Wee Hur Holdings Ltd had applied for planning consent with the State Planning Commission for construction of a multi-level student accommodation building at 188 and 196 Grenfell St.

The sites are currently home to venues Roxie’s and Chateau Apollo, Midnight Spaghetti and the Crown & Anchor – best known to Adelaide’s live music fans as the ‘Cranker’ or ‘Cranka’.

The heritage-listed, Victorian-era building cannot be knocked down, but the proposed “partial demolition and adaptive reuse” of the site has thrown the pub’s business operations into doubt.

Last week, the Crown & Anchor’s proprietor Tom Skipper warned that venues like the ‘Cranker’ must be preserved so that “the next generation of Australian musos can get their start”.

Since it was first licensed in 1853, generations of South Australians have been part of its history and we are determined to continue a tradition of cold beer, great friends and loud music,” Mr Skipper said.

“Our history is not just in our walls and our floors. We are privileged to have had some of Australia’s best bands, including Tex Perkins and the Superjesus grace our stage, and to have assisted in launching the careers of Bad//Dreems, the Grenadiers and so many more.

“Nothing is set in stone at this stage and we will continue work to ensure the Crown and Anchor remains the uniquely Adelaide institution that we all love.”

On Friday, Greens MLC Robert Simms said the venue’s closure would be a “huge loss” for Adelaide’s cultural heritage, urging developers to eye a different location for student housing to preserve the CBD’s already flailing hospitality and arts scene.

“For over 30 years, countless local and touring independent bands have entertained South Australian audiences on the Cranker’s stage,” Mr Simms said.

“While it’s clear that there is a significant need for new housing to address the ongoing housing crisis, there are already vacant sites in the CBD that could be investigated for use instead of constructing a tower on the location of one of the handful of CBD pubs that still regularly hosts live music.”

Rumours have been circulating for years regarding the future of the site and venues after South Australian developer Karidis Corporation purchased the 188 Grenfell St site in 2004, before acquiring the Crown & Anchor site in 2016.

Karidis Corporation confirmed to The Advertiser that it still owned the land, but declined to provide details about any future development.

Developer Wee Hur Holdings Ltd has been approached for comment.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by cmet » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:43 pm

I’d be surprised if this gets up. I reckon the cranker is one of the only buildings/institutions in Adelaide that would result in genuine unrest if it was about to be bulldozed.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by HiTouch » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:54 pm

cmet wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:43 pm
I’d be surprised if this gets up. I reckon the cranker is one of the only buildings/institutions in Adelaide that would result in genuine unrest if it was about to be bulldozed.
Agree wholeheartedly. I think most people would be happy if they incorporated the building into their design or if the development was placed in the vicinity of the Cranker but that's not what they're doing.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#58 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:27 pm

noted
High Rise Poster!

#59 Post by noted » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:28 pm

I hope it gets rejected, not only because it looks bloody awful, but also because that isn't just a partial demolition of a heritage building- it is a complete butchering of one.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#60 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 pm

This is definitely not sensational. If anything, it needs to be set back further and retain the existing space for a live music venue.