Riverlea (Buckland Park) | 12,000 dwellings | $3b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Riverlea (Buckland Park) | 12,000 dwellings | $3b

#466 Post by SBD » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:25 pm

EBG wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:16 pm
I don't live in Riverlea, I was just visiting, I live in the Eastern suburbs. If I had known it was so far from civilisation I would have brought a packed lunch and filled up in Salisbury or Gepps Cross. You all realise that before the Government decided to call this project Riverlea it was known as The Lower Light Flood Plain.

EBG B. Eng. (Civil).
Riverlea Park (suburb named by the Government - Riverlea is the housing estate named by Walker Corp) would not have been the Lower Light Flood Plain as it's south of the Gawler River. The Light River is north of Two Wells.The water features in Riverlea Park are supposedly designed to channel the flood water from the Gawler River safely away to the Thompson Creek outflow (adjacent to the Bolivar outflow drain) as normal ground level is below Gawler River flood level.It's the same as if the lower Torrens overflows, the excess ends up in the Patawalonga outflow.

bits
Legendary Member!

#467 Post by bits » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:01 am

It was previously called Buckland Park.
30km from Adelaide CBD.
Aldinga is 45km. Mt Barker is 33km. Gawler 40km. Munno Para 32km. Seaford 32km. Greenwith 23km. Hahndorf 28km.

ChillyPhilly

#468 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:53 am

SBD wrote:
EBG wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:16 pm
I don't live in Riverlea, I was just visiting, I live in the Eastern suburbs. If I had known it was so far from civilisation I would have brought a packed lunch and filled up in Salisbury or Gepps Cross. You all realise that before the Government decided to call this project Riverlea it was known as The Lower Light Flood Plain.

EBG B. Eng. (Civil).
Riverlea Park (suburb named by the Government - Riverlea is the housing estate named by Walker Corp) would not have been the Lower Light Flood Plain as it's south of the Gawler River. The Light River is north of Two Wells.The water features in Riverlea Park are supposedly designed to channel the flood water from the Gawler River safely away to the Thompson Creek outflow (adjacent to the Bolivar outflow drain) as normal ground level is below Gawler River flood level.It's the same as if the lower Torrens overflows, the excess ends up in the Patawalonga outflow.
Can we rename the development Riverleak?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#469 Post by rev » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:29 pm

Buckland Park still exists. It's west and south of what's now RIverlea Park.

I've noticed as well quite a few of the homes built, have a noticeable elevation from the footpath, about a foot or 2 or there about's.
Most houses have some drop from the home to the foopath anyway, so not sure if it's just the way they've done the front yards to be able to build those small retaining walls on the front and side boundaries, or if it's perhaps for some small flood mitigation?

SBD

#470 Post by SBD » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:16 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:29 pm
Buckland Park still exists. It's west and south of what's now RIverlea Park.

I've noticed as well quite a few of the homes built, have a noticeable elevation from the footpath, about a foot or 2 or there about's.
Most houses have some drop from the home to the foopath anyway, so not sure if it's just the way they've done the front yards to be able to build those small retaining walls on the front and side boundaries, or if it's perhaps for some small flood mitigation?
I think that is likely deliberate as part of the flood mitigation works. Housing in floodable areas near the Murray River and its Victorian and NSW tributaries and anabranches have minimum floor heights above expected flood levels, often built on top of slight mounds above the street and back yard. I've noticed at least one of the estates near Roseworthy seems to have similar construction requirements where the land east of the Horrocks Highway is higher so runoff will inevitably cross to the lower estate before being channelled to a drain and ultimately the Gawler River.

There has been major infrastructure built for flood mitigation upstream of Gawler, but there is now also significant development happening in Roseworthy, Angle Vale, Evanston, Concordia, etc all of which will eventually drain to the Gawler River, and hard surfaces lead to shorter, higher floods.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#471 Post by rev » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:43 pm

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour ... 7RmkqcJYE0

Link will prompt to download a pdf from the adelaide plains council. Or Google search Adelaide Plains Council flood map

1 in 100 year flood mapping for Gawler and Light rivers.
Looks like most of Riverlea is in the clear?
Of course who knows how the recent and coming development may impact the flow of water in such an event or worse.

abc
Legendary Member!

#472 Post by abc » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:49 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:43 pm

Link will prompt to download a pdf from the adelaide plains council. Or Google search Adelaide Plains Council flood map

Of course who knows how the recent and coming development may impact the flow of water in such an event or worse.
funny the same government that tells us sea levels are rising due to climate change puts a new housing dev on a flood plain

SBD

#473 Post by SBD » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:22 pm

abc wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:49 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:43 pm

funny the same government that tells us sea levels are rising due to climate change puts a new housing dev on a flood plain
Maybe that's the reason for the elevated construction, and that the water features are intended to be salt water not fresh water.