News & Discussion: Electricity Infrastructure

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
abc
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Electricity Infrastructure

#1576 Post by abc » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:25 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 pm
abc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:55 pm
SBD wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:33 pm

From what I recall, it was always regarded as a commercial pine plantation. I can't access The Advertiser's beat up but SA Water has a few pages about it too, including:
I said plantation

they're still trees aren't they? yes or no?

do you need a science lesson?
Are you under the impression that the reason the pine plantation was cut down was to make room for the solar panels?
The reason is unimportant. The fact they were cut down and not replaced with new trees, but solar panels instead is contrary to your 'climate science'.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1577 Post by Nort » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:37 pm

abc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:25 pm
Nort wrote:
abc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:55 pm

I said plantation

they're still trees aren't they? yes or no?

do you need a science lesson?
Are you under the impression that the reason the pine plantation was cut down was to make room for the solar panels?
The reason is unimportant. The fact they were cut down and not replaced with new trees, but solar panels instead is contrary to your 'climate science'.
Nope it's not, just the straw man argument peddled by liars and the ignorant that the argument involves shutting down all human activity.

So which are you? Actively misrepresenting the 'climate science' as you put it, or just never bothered to research the thing you have so so many opinions on?

abc
Legendary Member!

#1578 Post by abc » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:41 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:37 pm
abc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:25 pm
Nort wrote:

Nope it's not, just the straw man argument peddled by liars and the ignorant that the argument involves shutting down all human activity.

So which are you? Actively misrepresenting the 'climate science' as you put it, or just never bothered to research the thing you have so so many opinions on?
Why do you people always get personal when the flaws in your ideology are pointed out?

abc
Legendary Member!

#1579 Post by abc » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:52 pm

all that vacant baron land on the other side of South Road, but instead they put the solar panels where a forest of trees grew... it just doesn't make sense from an environmental point of view

Nort

#1580 Post by Nort » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:59 pm

Bugger it, block list it is.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#1581 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:36 pm

abc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:52 pm
all that vacant baron land on the other side of South Road,
aka Glenthorne National Park

abc
Legendary Member!

#1582 Post by abc » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:03 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:36 pm
abc wrote:
treeless national park, but do whatever you need to do to score junk time points

SBD

#1583 Post by SBD » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:34 am

abc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:03 pm
PD2/20 wrote:
abc wrote:
treeless national park, but do whatever you need to do to score junk time points
Plantation timber is usually used to build stuff, so counts as carbon capture and storage. One of those pages pointed out that Aleppo Pines don’t form hollows for nesting, and it was an environmental monoculture. They are planting native understory around the solar farm to increase biodiversity and habitat.

Part of the reason the tree coverage is lower in Adelaide than other capital cities is that most of Adelaide wasn’t a forest before it was cleared.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#1584 Post by mattblack » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 am

Nort wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:59 pm
Bugger it, block list it is.
You'll feel alot better for it Nort, guaranteed. Not dealing with inane baseless thought bubbles are tiresome and frustrating and nearly impossible to counter is great especially because you can't argue on facts with some. Enjoy the peace and quiet and logical discussions.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1585 Post by abc » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:29 am

SBD wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:34 am
abc wrote:
PD2/20 wrote:

Plantation timber is usually used to build stuff, so counts as carbon capture and storage. One of those pages pointed out that Aleppo Pines don’t form hollows for nesting, and it was an environmental monoculture. They are planting native understory around the solar farm to increase biodiversity and habitat.

Part of the reason the tree coverage is lower in Adelaide than other capital cities is that most of Adelaide wasn’t a forest before it was cleared.
^
a lot of irrelevant points here

the only thing that's relevant is trees (carbon sinks) are being replaced by solar panels

rather than acknowledge this point, forumites are choosing to bury their collective heads in the sand by putting inconvenient truths on ignore

its very much a cult-like behaviour I'm observing

SBD

#1586 Post by SBD » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:23 pm

abc wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:29 am
SBD wrote:
abc wrote:

^

the only thing that's relevant is trees (carbon sinks) are being replaced by solar panels

rather than acknowledge this point, forumites are choosing to bury their collective heads in the sand by putting inconvenient truths on ignore

Did you read the fact sheet?
In conjunction with the above activities, a 20-metre width of native vegetation will be planted
behind the remaining Aleppo pine trees along Black Road. Planting of the 10-metre width of
native vegetation along South Road is complete.
The "native vegetation" looks like it will grow to mask the view, but is a long way from there yet (Streetview August 2023). I guess it will absorb carbon as it grows. Do mature trees keep locking in carbon?

Looking at Streetview of the strip left along Black Road, I'm not sure what value it will provide. If they fall over and get eaten by fungi, the carbon will be released again anyway, won't it?

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#1587 Post by PD2/20 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:18 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:23 pm
In conjunction with the above activities, a 20-metre width of native vegetation will be planted
behind the remaining Aleppo pine trees along Black Road. Planting of the 10-metre width of
The "native vegetation" looks like it will grow to mask the view, but is a long way from there yet (Streetview August 2023). I guess it will absorb carbon as it grows. Do mature trees keep locking in carbon?

Looking at Streetview of the strip left along Black Road, I'm not sure what value it will provide. If they fall over and get eaten by fungi, the carbon will be released again anyway, won't it?
The retention of the strip was to preserve visual amenity for the residential estate north of Blacks Road. The original plan in 2019 had been for clear felling right to Blacks Road.

rubberman

#1588 Post by rubberman » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:28 pm

SBD wrote:
abc wrote:
SBD wrote:

^

Even if they had a point, the fact that the solar panels will reduce the carbon load far more than the trees they replace, is a fact that they struggle to grasp.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1589 Post by abc » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:31 pm

SBD wrote:
abc wrote:
SBD wrote:

^

20 metres of aesthetics retained doesn't account for what was removed

SBD

#1590 Post by SBD » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:23 pm

abc wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:31 pm
SBD wrote:
abc wrote:

^

20 metres of aesthetics retained doesn't account for what was removed
Assuming it was harvested for furniture, building etc, the removed timber continues to contain the carbon it captured. The new plants growing will capture more carbon. Like Rubberman pointed out, the panels also reduce the creation of new carbon dioxide by not needing fossil fuel to drive the pumps, filtration etc.