[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

#1 Post by Al » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm

These pics were from an earlier post I made on SSC. I heard there's a rumour that there's going to be another underpass to be announced soon and it's not the Gepps cross one (although that may still happen). Apparently it's also going to be along South Road. If this goes ahead it should make South Road a lot more traffic friendly in the long term but hell in the short term.

South Road and Port Road underpass:

South Road and Anzac Highway:

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#2 Post by AG » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:11 pm

Several underpasses are a start for South Road, but more needs to be done to increase it's capacity and reduce congestion hotspots. Unfortunately we'll soon start hearing the moans of drivers complaining about the short term congestion, without considering the long term effects.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#3 Post by ReallyBad » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:51 am

While I really like both of these plans - I still don't think South Road should become a pseudo North - South freeway.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#4 Post by bdm » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:08 pm

I hope they at least make both of these additions six-lane to cope with future growth (and to ease a transformation into a north-south freeway).

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#5 Post by Al » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:44 am

Just announced. It's on the junction of South Road and Sturt at a cost of $140+ million dollars. It's due to start after the other two underpasses are complete.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#6 Post by Al » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:07 pm

Render: :D

bdm
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#7 Post by bdm » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:35 pm

It looks speccy sure, but more needs to be done! Cars will still be piled up at the Southern Expressway Junction!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#8 Post by Howie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Bet you've been dying to post that Al. Nice one.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#9 Post by Will » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Great find Al!

Is that project an election announcement? and if so from what party is it from?

Although that project would add considerable time to my journey to uni, I welcome it because it is for the benefit of the greater Adelaide. It is an excellent project and it is urgently required for that intersection.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#10 Post by Al » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:43 pm

The South Rd/Sturt road project is a Labor project but they say it won't start until the other two projects on South Rd are finished which could mean we may see two elections before this project actually goes ahead. It's still good news though as any improvement along South Rd will be welcomed.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#11 Post by Algernon » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:32 pm

140 million on an intersection is great, 20 million on a light rail link between the glenelg tram and train station is not.

Sick of this crap.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#12 Post by ReallyBad » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:50 pm

Looks like the RAA's plan is coming true - bit by bit.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#13 Post by Al » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:57 pm

I'm still not sure whether it looks like $140m worth of underpass considering that the Anzac Highway underpass is worth $65m and the 600m tunnel under Grange and Port road will be $122m. Seems quite expensive.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#14 Post by UrbanSG » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:00 pm

I agree Algernon. This seems like such a waste of money for one underpass compared to public transport projects such as the tram line extension. I agree our roads are fairly pathetic but our public transport system apart from buses is a joke. I realise that this intersection needs to be improved but might an overpass be a cheaper option?

I am getting sick of travelling on the worst suburban train system in Australia each working day. I understand why people would rather take their cars and pay more. In my opinion the tram line extension to North Terrace and then a complete overhaul of the suburban train network is extremely important. Focusing heavily on the actual stations as they are the biggest embarrassment! Waiting at one of them in summer is a joke let alone winter!!! They are often what draw people to use the service and they make you want to walk straight back from where you came from and get in a car in their current state!

Mawson Lakes Interchange is a good example of a new station apart from the western platform's corogated iron wall which will become a wall of art, of the illegal kind. Don't know what they were thinking there, it is obviously a weather shield but it is ugly not to mention stupid. Maybe it will change over time. That is a minor flaw on what appears to be a good example of a station/interchange development.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#15 Post by AtD » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am

Decent frequency on the Noarlunga line, or any of the rail lines for that matter, would do a hell of a lot more to ease traffic on South Road than this underpass.