Melbourne risks becoming 'a backwater like Adelaide': Brumby

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

Re: Melbourne risks becoming 'a backwater like Adelaide': Brumby

#46 Post by JamesXander » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:19 pm

SRW wrote:
JamesXander wrote: And no its not the people of Adelaide who make the place a Backwater, its geographical & population reasons why we are a backwater. We aren't on the East Coast, we are at the bottom of the continent ( not many freights will make the trip) & we have a small population.

Whats to say we aren't a backwater? We aren't booming, we don't have alot of power, we don't get huge tourist numbers, nor do we attract huge investment. Sounds like we are just an ordinary city. Something Melbourne doesn't want to become.

Like I said though, we can change this. Hopefully we follow the WA pattern, emerge from our shell.
We're also in the centre of the continent, more-or-less halfway between developed East and booming West, and that places us in an unrivalled position to become the hub. Besides that, we are placed within the traditional boomerang shape of urban development (Adelaide along the coast through to Brisbane) in Australia, which, if closeness to the East is a factor, should be favourable to development.

How do you expect Adelaide to not be a backwater if the prevailing psychology of the city is this negative, 'little Adelaide syndrome' (a la Downer's 'little Australia syndrome'). Adelaide's base is quite good relative to the rest of the world, and things are, as we type, getting better. People need to drop their conservatism, their pessimism, and seize onto the positives and run with them. Only then will the city progress lastingly, and drop this unfair tag of 'backwater'.
I am not negative about this city at all. I love this city, it has so much potential.

But we are a backwater. There is no disputing it. Do you honestly think a company would want to tag there name to Adelaide? We will never be in the top 3 cities of this country. We are in the middle of East and West...but I am sorry anyone going to or from Perth will do so in a plane.

We don't attract huge attention, nor any major events, nor any major investments or projects ( The ships are our biggest coup, like c'mon).

Its good that people are seeing this though. Everyone agrees this place is so backwards sometimes also. Maybe change is in the air. Or maybe the beginning of an exodus?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by AG » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:50 pm

JamesXander wrote:
I am not negative about this city at all. I love this city, it has so much potential.

But we are a backwater. There is no disputing it. Do you honestly think a company would want to tag there name to Adelaide? We will never be in the top 3 cities of this country. We are in the middle of East and West...but I am sorry anyone going to or from Perth will do so in a plane.

We don't attract huge attention, nor any major events, nor any major investments or projects ( The ships are our biggest coup, like c'mon).

Its good that people are seeing this though. Everyone agrees this place is so backwards sometimes also. Maybe change is in the air. Or maybe the beginning of an exodus?
The comment you make about Adelaide not being one of the largest 3 cities is quite an interesting one. Prior to the 1970s Adelaide was the 3rd largest city, and during the 1950s and 1960s many were saying the same thing about Brisbane as many are saying about Adelaide now. Yes, in it's way of thinking, Adelaide is largely a backwater but as someone said that could all well change. It's just that most people don't have the imagination, the vision or the will to imagine it as being any different to how it is now.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by ynotsfables » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:55 pm

It just goes to show that Adelaide is comparable to larger cities not just in Australia but around the world, otherwise why would anyone make such a big deal about who we are!

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#49 Post by JamesXander » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:14 pm

AG wrote:
JamesXander wrote:

The comment you make about Adelaide not being one of the largest 3 cities is quite an interesting one. Prior to the 1970s Adelaide was the 3rd largest city, and during the 1950s and 1960s many were saying the same thing about Brisbane as many are saying about Adelaide now. Yes, in it's way of thinking, Adelaide is largely a backwater but as someone said that could all well change. It's just that most people don't have the imagination, the vision or the will to imagine it as being any different to how it is now.
Back then Regional centres were much bigger. SA has probably the worst regional population to draw from. As everyone moved to the big smoke Adelaide was left behind.

I can't see Adelaide ever joining the top 4. Would mean we would haev to knock off Perth or Brissie. Indeed our position as 5th Biggest will be challenged in 20-30 years by the Gold Coast region.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by Pistol » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:35 pm

JamesXander wrote: I can't see Adelaide ever joining the top 4. Would mean we would haev to knock off Perth or Brissie. Indeed our position as 5th Biggest will be challenged in 20-30 years by the Gold Coast region.
Why do we need to be in the top 3, top 4 or whatever... Is it that big a deal to you?

Besides in 20-30 years time we will still be the 5th biggest city in Australia as the Gold Coast will just become another suburb of Brisbane.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:23 pm

.....and when that happens Pistol, Brisbane/GoldCoast combined might end up bigger than Melbourne.......

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#52 Post by Will » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:35 pm

JamesXander wrote:
AG wrote:
JamesXander wrote:

Back then Regional centres were much bigger. SA has probably the worst regional population to draw from. As everyone moved to the big smoke Adelaide was left behind.

I can't see Adelaide ever joining the top 4. Would mean we would haev to knock off Perth or Brissie. Indeed our position as 5th Biggest will be challenged in 20-30 years by the Gold Coast region.
Why do you assume that we will have no population growth?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#53 Post by crawf » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:51 am

Indeed our position as 5th Biggest will be challenged in 20-30 years by the Gold Coast region.
Yeah right.

By the time Gold Coast reaches the same size as Adelaide is now, It will be more like a suburb of Brisbane and Adelaide would be much bigger.

Done
Gold-Member ;)

#54 Post by Done » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:19 am

This sketch made me laugh- yesterdays Advertiser:

Will409
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by Will409 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:35 am

In my personal opinion, I don't think Adelaide is a backwater (to me, a backwater is where absolutely nothing happens at all for long periods of time, and we of all people know how much is going on to a better extent then most). HOWEVER, I do believe that we are behind the other states and we do move at a slower pace but not so much to be called a backwater if you know what I mean.

Adelaide and South Australia as a whole does have a lot of potential with the mining and defence expansions now knocking on our doorstep. In a few years, Brumby may regret saying those words.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by AtD » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:48 am

Done: That's gold. :)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#57 Post by crawf » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:49 am

I wonder if people will think Adelaide is a backwater at the end of the year, when there will probably be over 20 cranes in the skyline and even more exciting projects planned for Adelaide.

When Adelaide had a disgraceful airport and bus terminal, the deadly princes highway - worst entrances to Adelaide. And when the city, had very little economic and population growth I would of called Adelaide a backwater then. But now, I would not call Adelaide a backwater.

Yes we don't have skyscrapers (wasn't demand in the past for it), mega freeways (poor planning and State Bank) and our train system is a complete disaster atm (lack of funds). Though that does not make Adelaide a backwater.

I think this debate has brought some good stuff, such as there are large number of people that want 'change' and Adelaide brought into the '21st century'. Hopefully our leaders are listening and bite bullet on a few things (such as Victoria Park). I really think one of the main reasons why so many people have agreed with Brumby is because of Victoria Park, LeCornu Site and the Tramline Extension.

Though I find it quite hypocritical that Harbo has said that many people in Adelaide don't want the city brought into the 21st century when he rejected the LeCornu site and Victoria Park.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#58 Post by crawf » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:09 am

Also another thing, While as we all know Melbourne is all the rave at the moment and yes its booming. However this is only good in the short term, because we hear so much about Melbourne these days eventually people are going to get sick of Melbourne and the city wont always be a 'boom town'. Mr Brumby could be eating his own words in a few years time

The now strong chance of Melbourne being Australias most expensive city to live, is not a good sign for them. Maybe during the boom period, but definitely not when it goes bust. Just look at what has happened to Sydney

Personally if Sydney was cheaper I would love to move there (in about 6months-2years) however because the prices are outrageous. The next option is Melbourne though not if the prices continue to go like they have been. Darwin is definitely a option aswell.

Remember people we love the Tall poppy syndrome in this country. Who knows in the future Melbourne could be the backwater again, and Adelaide will be the booming and vibrant city - anything is possible. :wink:

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#59 Post by Edgar » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:36 am

NIMBYs are the backwater of Adelaide. :wank:

Adelaide could have progress better and more, if not because of NIMBYs and their 'shadows', 'impacts', 'heights', 'high-rise' concerns.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by Wayno » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:53 am

Edgar wrote:NIMBYs are the backwater of Adelaide. :wank:

Adelaide could have progress better and more, if not because of NIMBYs and their 'shadows', 'impacts', 'heights', 'high-rise' concerns.
Agree 100%
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.