[COM] Rundle Lantern

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #Approved - Rundle Convergence

#421 Post by AtD » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:06 am

Edgar wrote:Thank goodness it is approved.

I would love to see the panels covered up the entire building instead, even though it could mean higher cost, but why does Adelaide always get second best? Wouldn't it be nice if they were to add more panels just so they could cover the entire ugly facade of the existing carpark.

But still, something is better than nothing, uh.. :wank:
The car park has no veltilation system so they have to leave the majority of its façade open.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#422 Post by Omicron » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:56 am

Excellent news! I look forward to being drunk and transfixed by flashy lights in the sky. :D

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#423 Post by jk1237 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:55 pm

nice one, cant wait for this one, and its only gonna take 4 months. ACC, are you feeling ok, 4 months is quite quick actually :lol: Hope its on time

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#424 Post by Edgar » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:18 am

The panels are pre-made and is just a matter of attaching them to the beams of the carpark and wirings and computer side of things. 4 months are pretty reasonable.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Hindley Street Alley
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Re: #Approved: Rundle Convergence

#425 Post by Hindley Street Alley » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi this is my first post.
I'm curious if anyone knows about what kind of material will be displayed on these screens/displays?
I read something like 'patterns and colours', but I suppose I'm wondering if anyone is designing these patterns and colours and if so, who?
Where is the material coming from? and could members of the public contribute designs if we knew the design parameters?

I'd be interested in any information anyone might have regarding these points!
Thanks,
HSA

toby1
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#426 Post by toby1 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:45 am

Anyone that amde it to the Big day Out this year, and ventured into the Boiler Room will probably recall the cubic light display that was on show there - apparently it's called a Quad Cubatron - and I can only hope that the Rundle Lantern will approach what that thing showed is possible. Of course I realise that they are intrinsically different beasts, but what is displayed could be somewhat similar.

The cubatron is about 5000 lights in a 3d pattern, programmed to move and change colour wiht enough resolution to resemble a hologram - it did all sorts from waves to fountains to flocks of birds and rain and much more. I mention this because I hope that the Lantern can have a similar (albeit 2-d) function. So hopefully they can program it to move colours from one side to another in such a fashion that it replicates natural motion and effects. HSA - this is what I hope for!

Can't wait to see it up, and to be transfixed (Word up Omicron!) :)
Thou Shalt Ignite That Which Burns

Matt
Legendary Member!

#427 Post by Matt » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:10 pm

From what I could gather, I reckon that's what it will be doing.

The quality of the images won't be fantastic, but it will still be pretty spectacular.

Does anyone know when construction is planned on this?

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#428 Post by Omicron » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:48 pm

toby1 wrote:Anyone that amde it to the Big day Out this year, and ventured into the Boiler Room will probably recall the cubic light display that was on show there - apparently it's called a Quad Cubatron - and I can only hope that the Rundle Lantern will approach what that thing showed is possible. Of course I realise that they are intrinsically different beasts, but what is displayed could be somewhat similar.

The cubatron is about 5000 lights in a 3d pattern, programmed to move and change colour wiht enough resolution to resemble a hologram - it did all sorts from waves to fountains to flocks of birds and rain and much more. I mention this because I hope that the Lantern can have a similar (albeit 2-d) function. So hopefully they can program it to move colours from one side to another in such a fashion that it replicates natural motion and effects. HSA - this is what I hope for!

Can't wait to see it up, and to be transfixed (Word up Omicron!) :)
8)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#429 Post by monotonehell » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:25 am

This thread has been all about the light display on Rundle Carpark, which is interesting, but are there any other plans to create an interesting and engaging space down below? I heard whispers when this Convergence idea was mooted, but nothing except the light show seems to have surfaced. Or have I been sticking my head in the sand?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#430 Post by AtD » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:28 am

That's a very valid point. But it will be an interesting problem to resolve, as the intersection's function as a road thoroughfare will probably dominate its function as a social space. If, one day they do decide to extend the Mall eastwards, I'd like to see a Pultney Street / Rundle Street underpass to allow the mall to be uninterrupted. But that's rather pie in the sky.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#431 Post by monotonehell » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:49 am

AtD wrote:That's a very valid point. But it will be an interesting problem to resolve, as the intersection's function as a road thoroughfare will probably dominate its function as a social space. If, one day they do decide to extend the Mall eastwards, I'd like to see a Pultney Street / Rundle Street underpass to allow the mall to be uninterrupted. But that's rather pie in the sky.
Heh, nice idea, but yes, not much room for an underpass. Interesting thought though, would traffic be hurt greatly if the section of Pulteney Street between North Tce and Grenfell Street was restricted to local traffic only and made a pedestrian shared zone? Pulteney Street itself is a major thoroughfare connecting points down the Eastern side of the city to Glen Osmond Road, but would it hurt to "Mall-inate" the entire stretch of Rundle Street, and send traffic down East Tce and King William instead of down Pulteney and Frome?

(But perhaps that discussion is better in the Visions forum)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Mawen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#432 Post by Mawen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:37 pm

In reflection - it is a great idea, and should not have to be even considered. It just needs to be rubber stamped and approved! But, in respect of what Perth is planning with its water front - YAWN!!

We build a screen (sorry) we talk abot building a screen, talk about it some more, do not approve on first render, try a 2nd -- 3rd - 4th, downsize, 5th, 6th, hold more debate and than give up on first idea and go with the smaller version and Perth is planning to build a massive waterfront......

.. Adelaide totally deserves the label 'backwater'.
Work It

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#433 Post by crawf » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 am

Mawen wrote:In reflection - it is a great idea, and should not have to be even considered. It just needs to be rubber stamped and approved! But, in respect of what Perth is planning with its water front - YAWN!!

We build a screen (sorry) we talk abot building a screen, talk about it some more, do not approve on first render, try a 2nd -- 3rd - 4th, downsize, 5th, 6th, hold more debate and than give up on first idea and go with the smaller version and Perth is planning to build a massive waterfront......

FFS!

Stop whinging, this project is going to be fantastic for Adelaide. Btw that waterfront precinct hasn't even been developed yet nor approved and its not the first time theres been something been planned for the Perth waterfront.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#434 Post by Will » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:51 pm

Mawen wrote:In reflection - it is a great idea, and should not have to be even considered. It just needs to be rubber stamped and approved! But, in respect of what Perth is planning with its water front - YAWN!!

I really do not understand the comparison between the screen and Perth's waterfront proposal.

You make it seem as though the Rundle Convergence project is Adelaide's only development.

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#435 Post by shiftaling » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:48 pm

Please please PLEASE can Northern Lights be made a permanent nightly fixture. It looks just so fantastic, and would fit in well with the Rundle convergence