News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

Re: Adelaide Parklands Trail - new and improved!

#16 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:11 am

jk1237 wrote:haha, let me try that again, did that pic work for you all now?
Yeah it worked!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Old depot to become urban forest

#17 Post by Wayno » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:43 pm

Nothing on this topic for ~14 months...
wetlands.JPG
wetlands.JPG (51.71 KiB) Viewed 8610 times
Is this simply awaiting completion of the Victoria Square SA Water building (presumably due for completion in Oct 2008)?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:54 pm

Yeah Wayno I would say that's what they are waiting for. It will be great to have that area as parklands again and some important water detention areas etc. It will also be great as I won't have to go there for water mains issues/plans for work anymore. Not the best offices and it isn't easy to get in an out of that site either. Plus I may get to inside the new VS1 eventually. That would be a bonus :D

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Wayno » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:05 pm

I might run a tote on whether this land gets converted to wetlands or continues as industrial (or even a residential) site! what odds would you consider fair? :)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by jk1237 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:35 pm

well i spose its a good idea, but if there is one thing i think Adelaide has more than enough supply of - is parklands. How much underutilised parklands are already in that area. Is it a good spot for the Marj hospital, or a med-high density residential area? As if that would happen though.
They have also begun making that new bit of parkland off Frome Rd near the uni buildings, near Botanic garden, as there is not enough parklands nearby :roll: I would have rathered more university buildings actually

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:24 pm

Yeah but look where its located, who in the right mind would wanna live there atm.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by ozisnowman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:14 am

Mr Rann's words were "The plan was to create a contemporary woodland park
setting using indigenous species and sustainable landscape principles"
i dont see that as exactly as an urban forest... Its more likely to look like
the southern and western parklands scrubland...

The need to make it look more like the botanic gardens and veile gardens
with a proper storm water/wetland lake.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Parkland control change in the wind

#23 Post by rhino » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:13 am

From today's Advertiser:

Libs to seize parklands
GREG KELTON, STATE EDITOR
February 08, 2008 12:10am

EXCLUSIVE: A FUTURE state Liberal government will seize total control of the Adelaide parklands.

The policy will form part of the Liberals' master plan for Adelaide, which will include new transport, infrastructure and development policies.
Under the move, it is understood all day-to-day operations and decisions on parkland development and use will be be taken from the Adelaide City Council and vested in the State Government.
Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith will unveil the controversial policy in a major speech today to the SA Press Club.
He briefed his frontbench MPs on the policy yesterday, telling them "the parklands belong to all South Australians".
Other details of the policy were thrashed out at a meeting of Liberal Party MPs at Port Lincoln two weeks ago. Part of the policy is expected to be plans to electrify the metropolitan rail network – estimated to cost $1.5 billion.
The Liberals are keen to make transport and infrastructure two of the key items on the political agenda for the 2010 state election.
The role of the parklands has become a major political issue since the Government announced plans for a $50 million redevelopment to allow a permanent structure on the Victoria Park site.
The future of the parklands has also become a central issue in the Government's plans to build the new $1.7 billion Marjorie Jackson-Nelson Hospital.
Parklands preservation groups and the Adelaide City Council have opposed the Victoria Park redevelopment, resulting in the Rann Government deciding not to proceed with the proposal after Treasurer Kevin Foley had originally threatened to overrule the council.
Under Mr Hamilton-Smith's plan, which will be part of a detailed 21-page policy, control of the parklands would be transferred to the State Government.
The Liberals have already foreshadowed moves to introduce a Bill allowing a lease to be secured for the Victoria Park redevelopment. It is understood under the proposal to be outlined today, all redevelopment and day-to-day operations of the parklands would be taken out of the hands of the Adelaide City Council.
Mr Hamilton-Smith told his frontbenchers yesterday the parklands belonged to all South Australians. He said they reached beyond the city of Adelaide in their appeal and were important for tourism, for major events such as Clipsal, the Glendi festival, Carnevale and the Schutzenfest.
It is understood he told his front bench: "It is not necessarily the case that a future Adelaide City Council will always be the best custodian and protector of the parklands."
Mr Hamilton-Smith told The Advertiser last night the master plan for Adelaide was "the most comprehensive direction statement for SA since the time of Sir Thomas Playford." He said the parklands proposition was "a small piece in a very big picture that is Adelaide's future".
"An enormous amount of work has been done by my parliamentary colleagues in piecing together this vision that takes us forward 20 years," he said.
He said Labor had made a mistake with its plans for the parklands with legislation in 2005.
"They were also wrong to abandon the redevelopment of Victoria Park," Mr Hamilton-Smith said.
"It is not too late.
"Labor must reverse its decision to abandon this premium site."

Comments?
cheers,
Rhino

MGR
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Parkland control change in the wind

#24 Post by MGR » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:58 am

I like it and i think its gutsy of Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith putting it out there. its sure to get people talking. this is huge i cant wait to see how this develops! :o
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." - William Shakespeare (Hamlet)

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by muzzamo » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:08 am

Its a fantastic idea. I'm a labor man but they really do have them by the balls on this one. The Libs know that there are relatively powerful elements of state labor that have roughly the intelligence level of the parklands preservation group, in particular Jane Lomax Smith so its a pretty effective wedge

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by crawf » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:36 am

Yes about time, a serious opposition for this state.
I like what the libs have planned for Adelaide and SA (such as the well needed $1.5bn for the train system), though it better not turn into a another major talk fest.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#27 Post by rhino » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:02 pm

crawf wrote:I like what the libs have planned for Adelaide and SA (such as the well needed $1.5bn for the train system), though it better not turn into a another major talk fest.
This one wasn't a plan Crawf - they just said they'd "look into it", and when they were asked how they'd fund it, MHS said they'd save the money by not building the Marj, but upgrading the RAH instead. When it was pointed out to him that he'd already used that idea for getting funds to upgrade country hospitals, and he couldn't spend the same money twice, he didn't have an answer.

But this parklands idea I do like, so long as there are some controls put in place. The libs like to sell off assets, and I don't want the parklands sold.
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Wayno » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:13 pm

Having the State Govt control the parklands is a good plan in principle - devil is in the detail...

The major problem with an Opposition Party who makes grandiose plans is that the Incumbent party now can't implement the plan for risk of being labelled directionless copy-cats, even if it's a no-brainer. So this means we will wait until 2010, more likely 2012/2013 before it might happen :-(

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by crawf » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:37 pm

rhino wrote:
crawf wrote:I like what the libs have planned for Adelaide and SA (such as the well needed $1.5bn for the train system), though it better not turn into a another major talk fest.
This one wasn't a plan Crawf - they just said they'd "look into it", and when they were asked how they'd fund it, MHS said they'd save the money by not building the Marj, but upgrading the RAH instead. When it was pointed out to him that he'd already used that idea for getting funds to upgrade country hospitals, and he couldn't spend the same money twice, he didn't have an answer.

But this parklands idea I do like, so long as there are some controls put in place. The libs like to sell off assets, and I don't want the parklands sold.
Yeah sorry I over read that statement. I'm just so fed up with the train system here in Adelaide.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by JamesXander » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:16 pm

rhino wrote:

We all know why they had to sell the assets.

This is just like how the liberals at Federal level would say 'Interest rates'!

The Liberals will NEVER sell off another public asset.