[COM] Grote Street Streetscape Upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Grote Street Streetscape Upgrade

#1 Post by Howie » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:28 am

1 March 2006 - Proposed Upgrade of Grote Street

Come and See the design for a new look Grote Street.

Following consultation, Council is keen for traders, shoppers, workers and local residents to view the future design. Community feedback will be given to council with the construction due to start soon.

View the DISPLAY at:
Grote Street Library and
Community Centre,
18 Grote Street (Opposite Coles)
From Thursday 9 March
until Friday 17 March

This Display will be staffed on
Thursday 9 March 11-1pm & 2-4pm
Friday 10 March 2-4pm & Friday 17 March 2-4pm
For further information please contact
Adelaide City Council Customer Centre
by telephoning 82037203
Anyone here heading down that way and can get some pics?
Last edited by Howie on Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#2 Post by Pants » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:11 pm

Might be down that way tomorrow afternoon.

I'll see what I can do.

I might shoe a few Grote St traders in the balls while I'm at it to make me feel a bit better about them fucking up the plans to close the road going through Vic Square.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#3 Post by Howie » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:42 pm

I've taken some snaps.. which i'll post later on in the evening hopefully. Spoke to a council rep named Fran who was very helpful in answering some of my questions.

Grote street from West Terrace to Victoria Square will be lined with more trees spaced out evenly on both sides of the street and through the median strip. New paving will be installed on the victoria square side. It's quite a stretch from one side to the other.. so that's an awful lot of trees that's to be planted as you'll see on the plans tonight. Dedicated bike lanes will also be introduced, no change to current driving lanes. Should be completed hopefully by June 2006.

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#4 Post by sam » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:27 pm

I went by today however Howie had already been past about 3 and a bit hours earlier and taken photos (I asked Fran after seeing Howie's name on the registration form.). I think the plans look good, especially with the greenery in the median strip.

PS: Howie, I added my name underneath yours on the registration sheet for notifications of changes etc...

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#5 Post by Howie » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:20 pm

LOL... yes i went out during my lunch break, had to get something down grote street so i figured i'd mosey on down.

For those who haven't had a chance to see the plans, i've taken some pics here. Please excuse the crappy stitching together.

Grote St West
Grote St East

southsider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM]

#6 Post by southsider » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:44 pm

Stoked that they are upgrading Grote. Hopefully it doesnt take as long as Pultney.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#7 Post by AG » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:28 pm

Yeh, the Pulteney Street upgrade obviously wasn't planned very well as a lot of the construction carried on at the busiest times rather than the quietest. It also took longer than it should have.

It's good to see that a pedestrian crossing has been considered under the plans in front of Moonta Street. There's a lot of pedestrians who run across the road at this spot every day. It may not be the case, but it looks like Pitt Street will become one way?

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#8 Post by Al » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:02 pm

The upgrades to Grote Street is great and if they do make a crossing around Moonta that'll be even better. Along with Flinders Street in the morning rush hour I'd call these roads "lemming lanes" due to the suicidal lemmings that dodge the traffic. It's nice to see the main east-west road of Adelaide getting a bit more attention.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#9 Post by Will » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:22 pm

I hope that this time the upgrade goes ahead. The plans look good and they will complement the new busport and it is also a better welcome to visitors from the airport driving into the city. I have always thought that Grote Street looks a bit industrial. However saying that whilst I support planting trees I hope council uses common sense and does not plant huge plane trees to obscure heritage buildings, like they have done with the Town Hall, Parliament House... Trees should be planted to obscure ugly conventional buildings like all those 1960's era warehouse style shops fronting Grote Street.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#10 Post by Ben » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:52 am

From this weeks messenger.

Grote st will be upgraded with new footpaths, kerbs, lights and landscaping between Victoria Square and Morphett St. Adelaide City council approved the $5.1M project this week and expects work to commence early 2007. The work will be completed over the next 3 years.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#11 Post by crawf » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:00 pm

good to hear, should look great with the City West Project and the proposed Central Markets Redevelopment

thanks mate :)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] $3.3m Grote Street Upgrade

#12 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:15 pm

City street's $3.3m revamp starts
January 18, 2007 02:00pm

WORK on a $3.3 million upgrade of Grote St in the city began today.

The upgrade includes 33 new mature trees, resurfacing of the road and footpaths, more seating, litter bins and bike racks.

Median strips will be installed, the traffic signals will be upgraded at Pitt St and a new pedestrian crossing will be installed at Moonta St.

There also will be improved lighting and stormwater drainage.

The 33 trees, mostly plane trees, will be planted on the footpaths in the section of Grote St between King William St and Bowen St.

Adelaide Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said the upgrade would "boost" the Central Market hub.

"Grote St is an important part of our lively Central Market precinct in the city and this upgrade will give it a new lease of life," Mr Harbison said.

No traffic disruptions are expected during construction.

Works should be completed by mid July, to coincide with the planned opening of the new bus station at Franklin St.

should look good :)

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#13 Post by Howie » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:15 am

It's started
City street's $3.3m revamp starts

January 18, 2007 02:00pm
Article from: The Advertiser

WORK on a $3.3 million upgrade of Grote St in the city began today.

The upgrade includes 33 new mature trees, resurfacing of the road and footpaths, more seating, litter bins and bike racks.

Median strips will be installed, the traffic signals will be upgraded at Pitt St and a new pedestrian crossing will be installed at Moonta St.

There also will be improved lighting and stormwater drainage.

The 33 trees, mostly plane trees, will be planted on the footpaths in the section of Grote St between King William St and Bowen St.

Adelaide Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said the upgrade would "boost" the Central Market hub.

"Grote St is an important part of our lively Central Market precinct in the city and this upgrade will give it a new lease of life," Mr Harbison said.

No traffic disruptions are expected during construction.

Works should be completed by mid July, to coincide with the planned opening of the new bus station at Franklin St.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#14 Post by Howie » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:16 am

Heya crawfie... there's a thread on this here.. so i think i might lock this one.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#15 Post by crawf » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:01 am

Howie wrote:Heya crawfie... there's a thread on this here.. so i think i might lock this one.
Ah sorry mate, i completely forgot we already had a thread on this