#Article : Adelaide 'the next boom town'

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Article : Adelaide 'the next boom town'

#16 Post by Wayno » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:49 pm

Channel 10 News said today that SA is on the verge of a jobs boom with 340,000 additional jobs expecting to be created in the next 2 decades! They did not state their source - anyone know where they pulled these numbers from??
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by AtD » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:41 pm

Today's AFR:
Attachments
boom.gif
boom.gif (419.38 KiB) Viewed 2428 times

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by Bulldozer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:06 pm

As the AFR article points out - there are big problems facing SA that must be rectified if we are to take full advantage of the coming "boom". There's a lack of power, water and transport facilities - the regional rail system is in a state of disrepair, roads are struggling to cope, ports are lacking and don't get me started on the power and water.

Don't shy away from the problems and pretend they don't exist, because they're real and here and need to be addressed - as people in business keep pointing out.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by crawf » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:36 pm

Also in the news report, a mining expert said SA's growing boom will be greater than WA and Queensland.

Probably because our boom will not only just be focused on resources, but defence aswell as other things.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by frank1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:47 am

crawf wrote:Also in the news report, a mining expert said SA's growing boom will be greater than WA and Queensland.

Probably because our boom will not only just be focused on resources, but defence aswell as other things.
Bigger than WA and Queensland, I find that hard to believe

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by omada » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:26 am

I could believe our boom could be bigger than Queenslands, but WA! Now that's a big ask...

Also heard on the news last night, that in order to cope with this boom, SA will need another 350,000 workers over the next 10 years... (I think that was the figure, but someone please correct me)

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:29 pm

frank1 wrote:Bigger than WA and Queensland, I find that hard to believe
Yeah I doubt it will be, but perhaps if you measure it in terms of relative growth between pre and post-boom periods it could be. Of course though that ignores the fact that 1% of growth in QLD or WA would be the same quantity as maybe 5% of growth in SA since their economies are that much bigger than SA's.

I doubt there'll be a need for 350,000 extra workers though - that's 35,000 new jobs per year! 35,000 new workers over a decade sounds more reasonable as that's 3,500 new jobs per year. Of course if it is 350,000 then I'd start buying up land around Pt Augusta, Pt Pirie, Whyalla and Pt Lincoln if I had the money as they'll need to double in size to accommodate all the extra workers. :)

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by AG » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:17 pm

omada wrote:I could believe our boom could be bigger than Queenslands, but WA! Now that's a big ask...

Also heard on the news last night, that in order to cope with this boom, SA will need another 350,000 workers over the next 10 years... (I think that was the figure, but someone please correct me)
There's all sorts of figures flying around from different sources. A few months ago one article (think it was the 'Tiser) suggested we would need over half a million more workers by 2030. Another I read thought it would be about 150000 new jobs by 2025. It's rather encouraging if there's several sources suggesting similar directions, although the difference between 150000 new jobs and 500000 is still enormous.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:20 pm

I wouldn't believe the 35,000 figure, 340,000 jobs sounds amazing but I reckon its true. Just think of the stack load of major mines, defence jobs, new retail jobs, business jobs etc... to be created over the next 20 years

On current growth SA will hit 2 million by 2030, which is only 21 1/2 years away

Adelaide, Port Augusta, Whyalla, Roxby Downs, Mt Barker/Strathabyln, Cooper Triangle, Port Wakefield etc... are starting to have a huge population surge mostly thanks to the mining boom (though Mt Barker is mostly lifestyle choice). Even down on the South East, Mt Gambier is starting to pick up which will be boasted by the $1.5bn Pulp mill