[COM] City Central 8 | 72m | 20lvls | office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City Central Tower 8 17 Levels

#31 Post by Ben » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:42 am

New website with renders and details of this and the other city central projects. Dissapointing the Franklin st frontage is only 12 levels. Construction due from July this year.

http://www.adelaidecitycentral.com.au

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:56 am

Thanks Ben. Hmmmm, another terrible western elevation! This looks just like a mix of CC1 and CC2. Hard to tell from the redners but if it is more green glass I will scream.

urban
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by urban » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:57 am

Better start screaming.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by Brando » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:01 pm

These are now so boring. They all look the same. I would have thought Aspen would have come up with something a little more interesting, daring and modern.
Maybe Aspen think Adelaide is an easy rollover.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:11 pm

I'm screaming! It's like they have taken all the worst parts of the previous two buildings and rolled them into one big dis-jointed building. Get rid of the darn pods especially that one on the eastern elevation and put your services near the main core so we at least have some glass on the western elevation. Yuck, really disapointed with this outcome.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by Ben » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:21 pm

They aren't even expecting to build next to the western wall as it is a heritage building there which is to be restored so i do not understand the blank western wall... maybe they are trying to dissapoint us. this whole development reminds me of the low rise office complex in Hindmarsh square with the 6 4 story buildings. Low standard and cheap just to fill a gap. this project was meant to be iconic and shift the centre of the city to Victoria Square... They haven't even tried from what I can see.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by Matt » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Horrible.
Like someone else said, they've taken the worst aspects of the first two and rolled them into one.
What a disappointment.

NEXT...

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#38 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:33 pm

What's the bet the ACC approves this with virtually no problems, yet the Currie Street proposal, which is far superior in its design, had to go through hell over some non-heritage listed buildings in a laneway.

nimeton
Gold-Member ;)

#39 Post by nimeton » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:51 pm

A few observations from looking at their precinct plan on the web site....

Perhaps T7 will become the iconic, taller tower? Can only hope so considering it is closer to victoria square and at back of post office. Would make some sense....

Second T8 looks much of a muchness but i don't think it looks *that* bad.

Thirdly... T8 Takes up a huge footprint. Are the developers of Bentham Street Apartments really proposing to squeeze that development into that tiny carpaprk at the back of the historic & adveriser buildings?

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by phenom » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:00 pm

Tower 8 is perhaps a bit disappointing from the perspective of speculation over something much higher, but I don't mind it - it's new, the green glass look is OK because that block is surrounded by very different looking buildings, it adds density to that area surrounding Vic Square and in light of all the other major developments going on in Adelaide at the moment it was very unlikely that demand for another large office tower would be sufficient to justify it. Yes, if the ongoing credit crunch doesn't cause major problems and our mining sector does take off (eventually) we will probably soak up most of this office space and then some over the next decade. But there's a lot of big ifs there.

Let's get the city looking awesome and newer and then when the time is right, it can be completed by a nice big tower or two (beyond those already proposed).

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#41 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:05 pm

We don't need a big tower for it to look good. They could have designed a great looking 17 level tower, not this! Maybe some curved elements to break up all the boxy development that has so far taken place would have been a good start. It would be okay to have green glass if the whole bloody block of new buildings weren't already green glass. A dark blue or black tinted glass would be perfect here to off-set all the green glass already on the site. Those pods darn it. I hate them on this building!

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by Snorkie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:41 pm

This whole development can go f**k itself. What a letdown. It wont even turn out as good as the renders, thats the sad thing. This is the most prime piece of realestate in this city being wasted on the most mediocre, uniform development i have seen. Individually these towers are pretty average, but collectivelly I think they will become an eyesore.

What pisses me off is that alot of better project go through so much trouble to get approved because of various design, heritage issues etc. Yet this project is probably the biggest culprit of negating all the urban design criteria that the ACC is after, will be approved in 2 seconds.

Where is our signature tower? Please, please tell me CC1 was not it. This whole development is an f**king joke and a disgrace to the other well designed buildings in this city, and to our building boom, because this project will have the largest impact on this city.

Sorry about the negativity guys, I was really getting my hopes up of this being a 100m+ awsome tower, with no resemblance to CC1 or CC2. Shit like this just really gets my blood boiling.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by frank1 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:01 pm

With the current AAC and the ridiculous height restrictions, i don;t think that site would have ever seen a 100m+ tower. As someone said earlier, a building can still be iconic at 50-60m, it just needs a awesome, bold design like the currie street tower that 'thinks out side the box'

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#44 Post by omada » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:29 pm

zzz zzz another sub 20 lvl glass tower zzz.zzzz..zzz somebody wake me up when something zzz zzz zz happens in this town... z zzzzz zzz z zz z

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by Plasmatron » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:56 pm

I didn't think it could be quite as bad as you guys were saying, then I checked out the City Central website... wow, what a wasted opportunity. The obsession these developers have with "pods", I'll never understand. There's still hope for Tower 4 or 7 to be bigger/better, right?
Last edited by Plasmatron on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions