[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: 'Northern Connector'

#16 Post by monotonehell » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:09 pm

Norman wrote:
crawf wrote:Just saw a report on this on 7news, looks very nice and very similar to what is been built in WA (like a railway line in the middle of the freeway). I think MHS comments that this 'pie in the sky' very hypocritical especially when he proposing projects left right and centre.
Exactly... he promises the world to us, but when there's some smart spending in line, he resents it.
Just watched MHS on ABC news. In response to Conlan's claim that these roads pay for themselves due to the movement of freight, clearly meaning as a benefit to the over economy, MHS said "That's code for a toll road."
:roll:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by Will409 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:19 pm

I live within 100m of the main northern line which sees something in the order of 8 - 12 freight and passenger trains in a 24 hour period (some days like Wednesday and Saturday are busier then Sunday). However, the NIMBY problem doesn't really exist here in regards to the railway. I havn't heard a single complaint about noise or safety of the railway other then Kings Road and Park Terrace level crossings which have in part been remedied. Not only that but 15 minutes in an interstate rail journey means nearly nothing and the speeds which freight trains travel here are fairly high (average of 90-100km/h). SCT are also about to start contruction of a huge new terminal beside the current line at Bolivar costing several million.

On the plus side, the proposed alignment is double track all the way allowing for greater flexibility in passing services. From the artists impression, the new line would link into the current Dry Creek passing loop. A possibility exists for extending double track to Islington freight terminal also exists since the alignment is wide enough.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:24 pm

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Howie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:34 pm

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by frank1 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:03 pm

Well done MHS, for appearing like and idiot once again because of jealousy(i bet it so bitter it's like acid in your mouth). I hate the way the news pretends like the government acquiring 10-20 houses is like the end of the
world :roll: This is seriously a good visionary project and is exactly what this state needs 8)

Now, back to SIM CITY 4 where i can plan and get things done without nimby's and negativism :lol:

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#21 Post by Ho Really » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:43 pm

frank1 wrote:...This is seriously a good visionary project and is exactly what this state needs 8)...
Yes, when the fools could have done this a long time a ago at a much cheaper rate by upgrading Port Wakefield Road into a freeway. The proposed freight rail corridor is fine, but will The Ghan and Indian Pacific use this standard gauge line or will they still go through the burbs?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Will409
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #Proposed : 'Northern Connector'

#22 Post by Will409 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:49 pm

It does really depend whether ARTC decide to keep both lines (if the new one is built) or decide to rip up the current line (which I doubt for the reasons I have already listed).
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

bs
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#23 Post by bs » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Ho Really wrote: The proposed freight rail corridor is fine, but will The Ghan and Indian Pacific use this standard gauge line or will they still go through the burbs?
The Ghan, The Indian Pacific and all other standard gauge traffic would use the new route. If the project goes ahead it will be dependent on a majority of the funding coming form the Federal government through AUSLINK. As park of the AUSLINK funding arrangement it is likely the new railway will be transferred to the ARTC who will probably abandon the old alignment

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#24 Post by Cruise » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:23 am

Shuz wrote:
Cruise wrote:maybe the rail line could then be extended to buckland park :wink:

besides that watch the video it will show the route.

Dont forget under Rudds Eastlink program we are also getting $500 million on south road. a non-stop link from Regency road to to Gawler in around 6 years sounds promising!!! :)
We are?

yes we are, the funding is also for a overpass (rRdds words not mine) at sturt road in the same time frame, it has been posted on this site somewhere.

Now, if by around 2015 labor promises another underpass on south road im sold.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by crawf » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:17 am

I will be sold when the train network finally gets a major revamp :wink:

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by Queen Anne » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:22 am

Please excuse my ignorance - I've been away from Adelaide for 18 months - but what is the new township at Buckland Park?
Thanks, Anne

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by ozisnowman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:28 am

Before you all take turns to take a swipe at MHS i dont think he is quite that wrong.
I dont think he is directly disapproving of the governments plans rather lack of plan.

If you look at the big picture of infrastructure requirements for the state this just
does not cut it. The brochure notes Transport Planning for the next Decade well
if thats all we get for the next ten years SA will be in a real sorry state indeed.
Without a plan for a North South Freeway, Electrification and Upgrade of our Railways
this City and State will not go too far...

MHS i believe is complaining that rather than coming up with a comprehensive
plan even with estimated timelines, costs and priorities etc this Government is
really providing us with a piecemeal plan of single projects rather than an integrated
city and statewide plan.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#28 Post by rhino » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:35 am

ozisnowman wrote: MHS i believe is complaining that rather than coming up with a comprehensive
plan even with estimated timelines, costs and priorities etc this Government is
really providing us with a piecemeal plan of single projects rather than an integrated
city and statewide plan.
:shock: How did you decipher that? Look at the YouTube clip again. He never said a single word of what you have written above.
cheers,
Rhino

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by Howie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:42 am

I'm not too sure about piecemeal approach.. all steps taken so far have been pretty logical and even ironically following parts of the old MATs plan. Planned North-South Corridor, Northern and Port River Expressways, and a Connector to make sense of the two expressways. If the government can get these off the ground then they're well ahead of the pack.

Remember that MATs was the most visionary planning document in our States History. It took two years before all the details was publically available and the reaction was mixed, it polarized the community. By staging it the way they have they could get it through with less public scrutiny than the MATs plan... just my take on it.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#30 Post by rev » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:25 pm

AtD wrote:I would hazard a guess that the main idea of this project is to get rail freight out of the hills, in part to shut the NIMBYs out there up. It'd keep Outer Harbor bound trains out of the suburbs.
Pretty much, they want to get rail freight out of residential areas.

Anyway, I was reading the comments on news.com.au about this, and my god I can't believe how unsatisfied people are. There is obviously a greater plan here that the government is working with, I don't understand why people are so blind or stupid. It's 2008, if an outsider spoke to some of these people he'd be convinced Adelaide was stuck in the 19th century. I can understand now why they wouldn't want to release all their plans for transport infrastructure at once, the amount of whining and moaning people would do would absolutely kill it all off.