#VIS: Inner-City Stadium/Riverbank Precinct

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Vision: New Inner-City Stadium

#256 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:14 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:Sure, this really doesn't mean a whole lot, but it is a step in the right direction...now we just need Rann to move the hospital to somewhere else!
:lol: How many times do I need to repeat this?
The Railyard site isn't big enough.
If we're to do this properly and do this right, the site needs to be at least twice as big as the available space on the rail site.

Let's build a stadium by all means, but be realistic and find an inner city site where it will fit. I'm not the only one to have realised this. Have a look at the sites I suggested earlier in this thread or at this. http://www.lightstadium.com/ where a few more are suggested.

Please look into the amount of space required both for a stadium and the apron areas of a stadium (queuing areas, ingress, egress, vomitoriums, evacuation assembly points), let alone the extra facilities needed to support it as well as the interesting ideas for other facilities suggested elsewhere in this thread; AND then compare that with the amount of space available on the rail yard site.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

metalMONSTER
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#257 Post by metalMONSTER » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:16 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else think that building a large stadium close to our small CBD will just look tacky

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#258 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:17 pm

Wayno wrote:Does Madison like custard?
Loves it! Can't get enough of it, but will only eat it if it's a pudding. None of that drinking custard .. no way...

And don't even try to suggest yoghurt, he'll chuck a tanty.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#259 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:18 pm

metalMONSTER wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else think that building a large stadium close to our small CBD will just look tacky
Lack of tackyness is the architect's job to overcome. The design MUST provide harmony with its surroundings as well as be aesthetically pleasing. Of course a lot of that is subjective. It can be done without tacky. Just needs to be designed properly.

But yes it must not look tacky. Boo to tackyness!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#260 Post by Norman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:05 pm

If they build a new stadium, I still want the Marj to go ahead. We need a world-class hospital as well. As for the stadium, one right next to the Bakewell Underpass and Mile End Railway Station would be awesome. Mile End Station might actually be useful for once.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#261 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Norman wrote:If they build a new stadium, I still want the Marj to go ahead. We need a world-class hospital as well. As for the stadium, one right next to the Bakewell Underpass and Mile End Railway Station would be awesome. Mile End Station might actually be useful for once.
Totally agree, I favour that site also. It ties in with the entire sporting theme of that area, footbridges across the rail track linking the stadium area and its facilities with the rest of the sporting facilities there could make that area really work as a whole.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#262 Post by Just build it » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:21 pm

Good plan. A brand new shiny hospital in the CBD and a brand new shiny stadium at Mile End. Sounds like a city!

The hospital needs priority over the stadium though, the RAH is super tired and some sections of it are a total write-off.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#263 Post by crawf » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:47 am

Could really make the area much more vibrant and alive aswell!

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#264 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:32 am

monotonehell wrote:
cruel_world00 wrote:Sure, this really doesn't mean a whole lot, but it is a step in the right direction...now we just need Rann to move the hospital to somewhere else!
:lol: How many times do I need to repeat this?
If we're to do this properly and do this right, the site needs to be at least twice as big as the available space on the rail site.

Let's build a stadium by all means, but be realistic and find an inner city site where it will fit. I'm not the only one to have realised this. Have a look at the sites I suggested earlier in this thread or at this. http://www.lightstadium.com/ where a few more are suggested.

Please look into the amount of space required both for a stadium and the apron areas of a stadium (queuing areas, ingress, egress, vomitoriums, evacuation assembly points), let alone the extra facilities needed to support it as well as the interesting ideas for other facilities suggested elsewhere in this thread; AND then compare that with the amount of space available on the rail yard site.

Regardless of the whether the stadium fits here or not, I think wasting this space on the hospital is just that, a waste! I definitely think the hospital needs to go ahead, just not in that location. I wasn't necessarily stating that this should be the stadium's site.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#265 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:35 am

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
Govt rules out new stadium
GREG KELTON

March 08, 2008 12:10am

THE State Government has dug in its heels in opposing a new sports stadium for Adelaide despite mounting public support for the proposal.
Even an offer from the SANFL to bulldoze AAMI Stadium and move to a new venue has not changed the Government's thinking.

Support for a stadium in the Central Business District was evident on the AdelaideNow site yesterday with 74 per cent of voters in favour of a new stadium.

Only 13 per cent of the 2307 voters said AAMI should be retained while 11 per cent said the new stadium should be built on the West Lakes site.

Treasurer Kevin Foley said yesterday the Government did not have enough money to finance a stadium upgrade.

"We don't have the finances available to construct what some would like to see us do and if we have a billion dollars available to spend, we will spend that on hospitals, on roads and on our schools, not on a football stadium," he said.

"The AFL is a very rich code of football.

"The SANFL is a very rich and very wealthy sporting code. I am sure if they want to upgrade their AAMI Stadium, I'm sure they have plenty of financial resources to do that themselves."

Also yesterday, a new website, Light Stadium – Build It and They Will Come, appeared setting out why Adelaide needs a new sporting stadium.

The site purports to be the personal website of Colonel William Light, the man who designed the city of Adelaide.

"I have come back from the dead to put forward suggestions so that you, the people of Adelaide, can vote on where the stadium should be built," the site says. The Government has been under pressure on the issue since last month, when Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith proposed the stadium as part of his vision for the Adelaide metropolitan area.

On Thursday, the SANFL released a 14-point paper on a clear strategy to meet Adelaide's need for a world-class sporting venue.

The paper says the preferred option is to retain AAMI Stadium but an alternative is to either demolish it and rebuild at West Lakes or relocate to a central location similar to Telstra Dome in Melbourne.

Fuck the govt :P

utaussiefan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#266 Post by utaussiefan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:01 am

I reckon that they should build the Stadium at the railway yards and move the hospital to morphette St instead

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#267 Post by Wayno » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:40 am

monotonehell wrote: :lol: How many times do I need to repeat this?
<snip>
Many more times :wink:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#268 Post by Brando » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:29 am

monotonehell wrote::lol: How many times do I need to repeat this?

Is this your professional analysis or your 5 minute computer fix up? :roll:

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#269 Post by bmw boy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:37 am

Brando wrote:
monotonehell wrote::lol: How many times do I need to repeat this?

Is this your professional analysis or your 5 minute computer fix up? :roll:
exactly what I've been thinking. What makes your opinion more credible than anyone else who says it is big enough?

With all the plans of building a stadium on the proposed site, I don't think I've heard of anyone bringing up the issue of the site not being big enough. It's been in the advertiser how many times in the last few years, but no experts have come and stated what you're saying.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#270 Post by jk1237 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:14 pm

Ive noticed in some of the proposals, the need for a light rail link to West lakes (Aami Stadium). Does anyone else agree that to move a large number of people away from an area, that heavy rail is whats needed, ie 6-car electric suburban trains. How many trams would you need to move 15,000 people from Football Park to the city in an hour, if it was light rail. Hundreds of trams! Heavy rail aint that heavy anymore, just look at Perths trains.