Rundle Mall - A Smokers' Paradise - No more

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Edgar
Legendary Member!

Re: Rundle Mall - A Smokers' Paradise

#31 Post by Edgar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:05 am

the examples on the bus is very true.

I have also came across school teens placing their bags on the seat next to them in the bus. And when the bus gets crowded, and people were standing all over them, still refusing to remove their bags and offer the seats.

Totally unacceptable. This is true especially with females.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#32 Post by rev » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:47 am

Hoops wrote:The thing is people do not have manners anymore. Manners are Dead or at least dying.

Don't Believe me?
A customer (60+ woman with some form of leg disability) was catching a bus that had all its seats taken.)

Bus is apparently full. Her not being able to stand up while its in motion asks a PAC boy to move... He goes... Do I HAVE TO?
She says something along the lines of "well you can move or I'll sit on you" He moves.. But leaves his bag on the seat next to her. A Elderly lady comes in next stop and the first Woman asks him to move his bag he says "to where? I'll have to carry it then"

Yes this is also an example of how the richer you get the more head fucked you are.
But No one has manners anymore.

Sure smoking is a choice and not illegal to be done in open public spaces.

But should you be smoking onto people that choose not to smoke and infact strongly dislike it?.

Sure nonsmokers try and avoid smokers smoke as much as possible but with the amount of people walking in multiple directions its sometimes impossible.

It's not really about manner when it comes to smoking in open spaces. It's about those who don't smoke, having enough common sense to not congregate around smokers.
If someone elses second hand smoke bothers you, then move away from that person. Its really quite simple, and I cant understand why some of you think the world revolves around us non-smokers and smokers should give a shit about us. Its our choice not to smoke, their choice to smoke. You cant expect them to not smoke or move away in an area smoking is allowed, just because you don't like it.

Hoops
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by Hoops » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:34 am

So...Say I wanted to hold a Loud Emo Music rock concert outside your house at 2am. you'd be ok with that? Because its my choice to hold it and your choice to ignore it... You can just move away...

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by Brando » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:06 pm

Hoops wrote:So...Say I wanted to hold a Loud Emo Music rock concert outside your house at 2am. you'd be ok with that? Because its my choice to hold it and your choice to ignore it... You can just move away...
Maybe try a different analogy.
Last edited by Brando on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#35 Post by Cruise » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:20 pm

Hoops wrote:So...Say I wanted to hold a Loud Emo Music rock concert outside your house at 2am. you'd be ok with that? Because its my choice to hold it and your choice to ignore it... You can just move away...

Mr. Cricket Bat would prevent you from doing such things near my house

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#36 Post by rev » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Smoking in an open, public place, is not against the law.
Doing what your suggesting, is against the law, unless you have a permit from the local council or other relevant authorities to stage a music festival or whatever you wish to call it, and in any case, in a residential area, they wouldn't grant one.

Moving away from a smoker or smokers, is common sense and has zero cost.
Moving house because someone has a rock concert outside your house, would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#37 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:47 pm

rev wrote:...Moving away from a smoker or smokers, is common sense and has zero cost.
In some cases that is true, but as I said above if you wish to catch a bus you must join a queue at a bus stop. If one of the people in the queue then lights up and smokes, it's not possible for the others to move away as they are waiting for a bus. If they move away the cost they pay is losing their place in the queue or missing the bus.

Not smoking around a group of people that are congregating like that is manners.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Bulldozer » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:26 pm

Hoops wrote:But leaves his bag on the seat next to her. A Elderly lady comes in next stop and the first Woman asks him to move his bag he says "to where? I'll have to carry it then"
And you just sat there watching it rather than picking up the bag and throwing it off the bus? Punks like that need a kicking.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by Howie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:12 am

I think smoking was a bigger problem in the mall back when I was growing up. Nowadays, you're more likely to see people smoking in the alleyways than in the mall itself, it's no longer socialable to stand in the middle of mall in front of shoppers puffing away. Even when I was a smoker, i always found a private area away from rundle mall proper to have a puff.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#40 Post by Omicron » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:15 pm

I recall the days of the smoking section in the Westfield Marion food court; of course, our more mature (wise, respected, most honourable :wink: ) members will have far greater experiences with smoking inside the supermarket and such, but a charming little memory nonetheless.

Hoops
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by Hoops » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:06 pm

Bulldozer wrote:
Hoops wrote:But leaves his bag on the seat next to her. A Elderly lady comes in next stop and the first Woman asks him to move his bag he says "to where? I'll have to carry it then"
And you just sat there watching it rather than picking up the bag and throwing it off the bus? Punks like that need a kicking.

You missed the bit in the post that it happened to a customer.. She retold this story to me..

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

#42 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:41 pm

Have a Winfield and build a bridge!! Seriously...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:22 am

.::G!oRgOs::. wrote:Have a Winfield and build a bridge!! Seriously...
As long as you light up downwind and the bridge is "iconic" I don't think the S-A members will have a problem. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#44 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:50 am

THANK GOD!!!!
Push to butt out in Rundle Mall

Chris Day

18Jun08

A SMOKING ban in Rundle Mall will be among the first issues discussed by its new management board next month.

City Cr Anne Moran this week proposed the smoking ban for the complete length of the mall and possibly its side streets.

"We're competing with covered malls and they are non-smoking," Cr Moran, who is herself a smoker, said this week.

In April, the council voted to create a subsidiary to manage the mall, handing it a budget of $2.7 million in 2008/9.

The board will be appointed by next month and include property owners, retailers and councillors. Council chief executive Stuart Moseley said the board could recommend a ban but the final decision would rest with the State Government.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#45 Post by Shuz » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:35 am

I'm against this.