#VIS: Inner-City Stadium/Riverbank Precinct

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Vision: New Inner-City Stadium

#316 Post by Wayno » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:30 am

Seems to me the State Govt plays only a minor role in any scenario here. As we have seen, the ACC pretty much holds all the cards when it comes to any CBD/Parkland based proposal.

Get the ACC onside with the notion of an "entertainment/sporting precinct" and other parties will then come to the table (with the state govt probably being the last to sit down and simply look for ways to score political benefit)...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

BenJ
Gold-Member ;)

#317 Post by BenJ » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:56 am

I know this was mentioned before but If the AFL/SANFL have completely rejected the idea of a new stadium, maybe this is the only chance we have:

From the Advertiser 17/2/08:
ADELAIDE United has become the state's first major sporting club to back plans for a new city-based sporting stadium – and has signalled its intention to build a $270 million, 45,000 seat soccer stadium on the fringe of Bonython Park...He said his plans would include a hotel complex, which would also house bars, cafes, shops and cinemas.
And from Wikipedia:
The design of the stadium is supposedly based upon the designs of a stadium in Frankfurt used during the 2006 World Cup. A business plan for the construction of the venue will be completed soon. [4]
Being a soccer nut, I would love this. I have to say I would laugh if this went ahead and cemented the popularity of soccer in SA to the detriment of aussie rules. I believe many people would be very tempted to skip AAMI in favour of coming to a convenient, central location to watch a sporting match. If numbers at AAMI dropped the SANFL would really start to look very silly and might rue their lost opportunity...

The stadium in Frankfurt on which AUFC's plan is based:
Pretty bloody impressive...
Extend the tram line down Port road eventually to Port Adelaide and we'd be laughing.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#318 Post by Cruise » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:59 am

Ummm... but the state government has ruled out a new stadium

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#319 Post by Wayno » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:10 am

Cruise wrote:Ummm... but the state government has ruled out a new stadium
So? if the ACC is open to the idea, and sporting codes agree to pay for it (without asking the SA Govt for more cash above which they already receive)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#320 Post by AtD » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:40 am

metalMONSTER wrote:The railyards are a bad spot for a stadium. A stadium is too large in comparison to the adjacent buildings. Is there any evidence that a stadium in/near the CBD would increase the number of people in the city. If you look at the footy fixture there is not a great deal of games held in SA on a friday or saturday night (as opposed to the MCG or TD). Saturday and Sunday afternoons people have better things to do then 'go to the city for whatever'.

Im not saying a hospital is the best solution either, as visitors are still in the middle of nowhere, they arent exactly going to want to rush to Hindly street.
Perfect example is Adelaide Oval and the crowds after a one-day international. Almost everyone heads south after the match.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#321 Post by rev » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:04 pm

metalMONSTER wrote:The railyards are a bad spot for a stadium. A stadium is too large in comparison to the adjacent buildings. Is there any evidence that a stadium in/near the CBD would increase the number of people in the city. If you look at the footy fixture there is not a great deal of games held in SA on a friday or saturday night (as opposed to the MCG or TD). Saturday and Sunday afternoons people have better things to do then 'go to the city for whatever'.

Im not saying a hospital is the best solution either, as visitors are still in the middle of nowhere, they arent exactly going to want to rush to Hindly street.

Have you ever thought to your self, that maybe its because of the outdated facilities and useless location of our current major stadium, that we don't get more events be they sporting or otherwise? Such small mindedness in this state has only helped to hold our progress back.
How wouldn't a stadium in the CBD increase the amount of people in the cbd at night on a weekend? Thousands of the people who went to the A League match between Adelaide and Sydney at Adelaide Oval, went out in the city after the game.
People want something to do. Maybe YOU are happy to go home and read your books or look at your stamp collection, but you don't represent the majority.
Saturday and Sunday afternoons? AFL games finish in the evening, some well after 8pm. A League games finish in the evening too.

What do you mean a stadium is too large for the rail yards? What, you think your little pissy effort at photoshop is the be all and end all of how a stadium would fit on that site?
I have a suggestion for you. You purposely aligned that cut out stadium so it would look like it doesn't fit, so you can manufacture an argument.

And here you go, just in case you still want to purposely mislead people with your lies about a stadium not fitting on the site, I threw this together.
This is the stadium in Frankfurt that the Adelaide United proposal is based upon. The dimensions and scaling might not be perfect 1/1, but you can clearly see unless you have your nimby blinders on, that a stadium WOULD fit on the railyards site.

metalMONSTER
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#322 Post by metalMONSTER » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:38 pm

who gives a shit about faggy soccer. If you want to have proper footy at a stadium it requires large ovals. Do you really think that the threshold of the stadium can be on Port Road or North Terrace. Do yourself a favour and read up on requirements under things such as the BCA and AS. You know things that we professional builders have an understanding of. This may be beyond some of you computer geeks who just overlay pictures and think 'gee that looks good'

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#323 Post by rev » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm

So your a professional builder? Okay then, enlighten us.
Hm, now I'm pretty sure, for a supposed computer geek who overlays pictures, that it is possible to build on top of rail lines. The extension of the convention center is exactly that. Built over the rail lines. Oh my.

Faggy soccer? So, am I a "faggot" because I follow soccer? What exactly is faggy about it? There is more touching and feeling between players in AFL then there is in soccer. Oh sorry do you consider the mean faces they put on when they hip and shoulder each other out of the way like gorillas to counter that and make it the most manly sport on earth?

Btw, very few countries call it soccer. Its proper name is football.
Proper football? Sorry, but AFL is not proper football, it is a game were you spend half the time handballing it to other players and groping other men while trying to pick the ball up with your hands, and very little time using your feet, whereas soccer you actually need to be skillful with your feet. You know, because you actually need to do more then just kick the ball as far as you can occasionally. The game is played with your feet, with things like your chest and head only coming in occasionally. Unless your a goalkeeper. What is football? Definitely not Aussie Rules.

A lot of people give a shit about 'faggy' soccer btw. Its the worlds most popular sport. The World Cup is the single biggest sporting event on the planet. Billions of people follow this sport. The AFL is going to become completely irrelevant as "soccer" continues to chip away at the AFL, and that is what the AFL, SANFL, and people like your self are afraid of.

Now don't get me wrong, I like AFL and follow it as much as football.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#324 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:02 pm

metalMONSTER wrote:who gives a shit about faggy soccer. If you want to have proper footy at a stadium it requires large ovals. Do you really think that the threshold of the stadium can be on Port Road or North Terrace. Do yourself a favour and read up on requirements under things such as the BCA and AS. You know things that we professional builders have an understanding of. This may be beyond some of you computer geeks who just overlay pictures and think 'gee that looks good'
rev wrote:So your a professional builder? Okay then, enlighten us.
Hm, now I'm pretty sure, for a supposed computer geek who overlays pictures, that it is possible to build on top of rail lines. The extension of the convention center is exactly that. Built over the rail lines. Oh my.

Faggy soccer? So, am I a "faggot" because I follow soccer? What exactly is faggy about it? There is more touching and feeling between players in AFL then there is in soccer. Oh sorry do you consider the mean faces they put on when they hip and shoulder each other out of the way like gorillas to counter that and make it the most manly sport on earth?

Btw, very few countries call it soccer. Its proper name is football.
Proper football? Sorry, but AFL is not proper football, it is a game were you spend half the time handballing it to other players and groping other men while trying to pick the ball up with your hands, and very little time using your feet, whereas soccer you actually need to be skillful with your feet. You know, because you actually need to do more then just kick the ball as far as you can occasionally. The game is played with your feet, with things like your chest and head only coming in occasionally. Unless your a goalkeeper. What is football? Definitely not Aussie Rules.

A lot of people give a shit about 'faggy' soccer btw. Its the worlds most popular sport. The World Cup is the single biggest sporting event on the planet. Billions of people follow this sport. The AFL is going to become completely irrelevant as "soccer" continues to chip away at the AFL, and that is what the AFL, SANFL, and people like your self are afraid of.

Now don't get me wrong, I like AFL and follow it as much as football.

Hey guys, time out okay? If you can't debate things in a rational way without trading emotional insults I suggest that you give it a rest until you can.

Let's respect each others positions and debate on the facts, please?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#325 Post by muzzamo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:23 pm

Good to see some more sensible discussion on the issue...
Footy bosses backed AAMI plan 'weeks ago'
Article from: Sunday Mail (SA)

RENATO CASTELLO, JESPER FJELDSTAD, SCOTT WALSH

March 16, 2008 12:30am

SOUTH Australian football bosses told the Federal Government at least a month ago they preferred upgrading AAMI stadium to building a new venue in Adelaide's CBD.
SOUTH Australian football bosses told the Federal Government at least a month ago they preferred upgrading AAMI stadium to building a new venue in Adelaide's CBD.

SANFL, Adelaide Crows and Port Power chiefs made their position clear at a meeting with Federal Sports Minister Kate Ellis, where she kept the door open for future Federal Government funding for any stadium upgrade.

The meeting was at Ms Ellis' office.

It was the first joint meeting SA's football hierachy has held with Ms Ellis since she was appointed to the sports portfolio.

The revelations come after the SANFL, Crows and Power on Friday publicly supported upgrading AAMI Stadium to the tune of $250 million, distancing themselves from plans for a new stadium in the city.

It is believed a new multi-purpose, FIFA World Cup standard venue would cost up to $1 billion, money the SANFL said should be spent on other priorities such as health, transport and education.

Friday's joint announcement came despite SANFL chief executive Leigh Whicker saying last week he would be prepared to support moving to a new stadium if his organisation retained control of the venue.

The meeting with Ms Ellis was attended by Mr Whicker, SANFL chairman Rod Payze, Crows' supremos Steven Trigg and Bill Sanders and Port chiefs Greg Boulton and John James.

A spokesman for Ms Ellis said yesterday the SANFL and football clubs had made it clear their preferred option was to upgrade AAMI.

"There was no formal cash request or formal request for funding but they did outlay their proposals," he said.

"They spoke about a range of issues, not just the stadium, but they did seem to be clear that they were preferring the AAMI (upgrade) option."

He said Ms Ellis had indicated she was happy to continue talk "down the track" about funding arrangements.

"But she also made it clear that the support of the state and local governments is also important," he said.

On Friday, Mr Whicker declared neither federal, nor state, nor private enterprise would fund a new stadium.

He did not return calls to the Sunday Mail yesterday.

Adelaide Crows chairman Bill Sanders yesterday confirmed the meeting had taken place and said it had been initiated by the SANFL to ascertain the Federal Government's position on the stadium issue.

He would not disclose the nature of the discussions. However, he did say that he would be "very, very surprised" if there was a positive response from either tier of government for a new stadium.

"We as the Adelaide footy club haven't approached anybody – as far as we're concerned, AAMI Stadium is our home and we have no reason to move," he said.

"We're fully supportive of the SANFL's position of refurbishment of the current facilities."

Port president Greg Boulton said he was unaware of any moves by the SANFL to attract cash backing for an inner-city stadium from the Federal Government or the private sector.

"I don't think there is any private enterprise that could make a profit on a $1.2-billion venture - and that is today's cost, it might be $1.8 billion," he said. "It would be very, very unlikely to stand up financially, but that is only my personal assessment."

Mr Boulton said he was satisfied the SANFL had investigated all necessary options in ignoring a new inner-city stadium.

BenJ
Gold-Member ;)

#326 Post by BenJ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:41 pm

Let Adelaide United go ahead with their plans for a 40,000 seater, $270m soccer only stadium over the old police barracks near Bonython park. They should negotiate with the SANFL to make sure that AAMI stays an aussie rules only stadium, significantly reducing the cost of the planned upgrade (eg they wouldn't have to make the pitch completely flat). The SANFL wouldn't need to ask the state government for so much money and instead the state government could help fund the soccer stadium. Everybody wins. It would then just be up to Adelaide United to secure the rest of the money. I'll be interested to see their business plan for the stadium which should be completed this month.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#327 Post by rogue » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:24 pm

Since the SANFL will need government assistance, I would prefer my tax dollars invested in a new city based stadium.

I cant believe there is even a debate in this forum suggesting that a new world class stadium wouldn't fit over the railyards. There is ample room and if more is needed, fill in some of the Torrens.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#328 Post by muzzamo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:36 pm

If i remember correctly the last soccer stadium the government funded turned out to be a huge white elephant...

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#329 Post by adam73837 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:05 pm

I am absolutely flabbergasted that those bums at the SANFL say that they would rather see the money spent on more important things. That is just rubbish. It's not rubbish that we neeed money for those things, its rubbish that the SANFL are saying that they think that. They do NOT think that. They think that the government should give them more money to continue to upgrade their white elephant at West Lakes.
Well let me tell them something, Adelaide needs a world-class stadium whether the SANFL likes it or not. If we want to host the Commonwealth Games, we will have people flocking to a suburban area (West Lakes) and then disappearing into suburban Adelaide. However if we were to build a stadium in the city, people would go into the CBD like water being absorbed by a sponge. Same thing with the World Cup. If Australia wants to host the World Cup in 2018, one city that won't be hosting matches is Adelaide. I mean, Townsville will host matches because they have a large enough rectangular stadium. But there's speculatiuon that Adelaide won't host the WC Qualifier between Australia and China/ Iraq. Why? BECAUSE OUR SOCCER STADIUM IS TOO SMALL AND OUR STATE FOOTBALL (aussie rules) FEDERATION WANT TO HAVE CONTROL OF A STAIDUM IF IT WERE TO BE BUILT IN THE CBD (CONTROL FREAKS!!!). AND LET'S NOT FORGET THE FACT THAT THE ADELAIDE UNITED ARE COMMITED, HOWEVER BECAUSE OUR BELOVED SANFL COMMITEE (whose state and national clubs i have respect for) DOESN'T WANT TO LEAVE ITS CRIB, WE ARE GOING TO BE HELD BACK AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come on guys, we'll be here in the next 20-30 years to see how this city will be affected by today's decisions, so WE need to speak up, rather than the old farts who won't be here in the next 20-30 years to see the outcomes of today's decision. IF YOU ASK ME, SENSATIONAL-ADELAIDE CAN NO LONGER JUST SIT HERE AND ARGUE AND MAKE DECISIONS AMONGST OURSELVES. WE HAVE PEOPLE WITH VISION AND PEOPLE WITH IDEAS, SO WE NEED TO SPEAK UP AND BE HEARD SO THAT WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO THIS CITY WHICH IS GOING TO LOSE THE OPPORTUNITIES WHICH ARE BEGINNING TO ARISE!!!!!!!!!
Cheers. :D
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Disillusioned
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#330 Post by Disillusioned » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:22 pm

I do believe a multi-purpose CBD venue is the only real option and the use of public funds would be appropriate in such a case. Unfortunately the SANFL, in what can only be called greed, are not willing to be involved. The AUFC soccer venue proposal (with the undoubted help of a Federal Government FIFA World Cup grant), although nice doesn’t maximise the positives a multi-purpose stadium would provide the city. Frankly this debate is as much about revitalising the city as it is about any particular sporting code. It is more than a bit rich that the SANFL would hold the development of the CBD to ransom, yet still hold out their cap for Government funding to increase their own asset base. If the SANFL wish to be so protective of their little empire let them fund a redevelopment of AAMI themselves.