[PRO] Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

[PRO] Re: #Proposed: Masonic Lodge- Nth Terrace- 17lvl 60m

#46 Post by Shuz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:35 pm

Oooh, aahhh, hmmm.

Sounds all very exciting. I'm more intrigued as to what's going to happen west of the apartments than the actual apartments itself....

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#47 Post by Ho Really » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:54 pm

Shuz wrote:Oooh, aahhh, hmmm.

Sounds all very exciting. I'm more intrigued as to what's going to happen west of the apartments than the actual apartments itself....
Retail, cafes, bars, restaurants? Something to liven the place up a little. Probably be paved and have plants and street furniture. A throughfare from Synagogue Place.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#48 Post by Ho Really » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:54 pm

Interesting to see how Globe (if it goes ahead) fits into all this.

Cheers

Ho Really

#49 Post by Ho Really » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:54 pm

Checked the side elevation, it seems it's 18 levels above ground (including ground floor).

Cheers
Last edited by Ho Really on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:22 pm

Shuz wrote:Sounds all very exciting. I'm more intrigued as to what's going to happen west of the apartments than the actual apartments itself....
And also what will happen with all the derelict buildings south of it on Synagogue place.

I'm not 100% sold but I think I like this. The profile from North Tce is interesting; as shown in the east elevation, the sight lines are such that you can't see the tower behind the lodge building at all. That'll keep the lodge's profile from North Tce intact.

I like that it's different from the standard white and glass contemporary boxes that we think look so cool right now but I wonder if they'll stand the test of time. We used to think '90's architecture looked cool, but now we think it looks ugly. Taste is so subjective.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#51 Post by SRW » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:10 am

I generally like the design, though my full support depends on more details about that intriguing façade and the southern and western elevations.

Great to have another apartment proposal, regardless. <strike>How many will this contain?</strike>

EDIT: Quick arithmetic off the floor plans tells me that there will be 114 apartments; 40 one bedroom and 74 two bedroom.
Last edited by SRW on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

bva
High Rise Poster!

#52 Post by bva » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:33 am

happy to reserve judgement
As you say one image is a hard basis to form a view, however, I would expect CofA to take a very strong line on design as this forms the backdrop to an important building and the edge context to our most important boulevard.
intrigued by the 'rust' material and look forward to seeing more detail

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Pistol » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:35 am

Quite interesting to look at that Google Earth image and see how much it has changed since that image was taken (it must be quite old)
There is no:
Alpha
223 Nth Tce
Majestic Rooftop hotel
East West Apts
Palais Apts
Bent St Apts.

I might have been quick to judge but you still have to wonder about the apartments on the north side from levels 3-10. They are facing directly into the back of the Masonic Lodge which would be what 4-7 metres away. No direct sunlight, no views I guess they would be reserved for student accommodation.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

urban
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by urban » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:59 am

Howie wrote:Can I just add that the brown you see there will look great on the building.. it's actually a form of rust, but as a feature.. i forget the name of the product perhaps you guys know it.. but it actually helps protects the building while giving it some character. It's a really unique design for the city, and it's extremely well finished. There will be floor to ceiling glass so the apartments will look really swish.
Sounds like Corten Steel. Steel plate which has been oxidised and then stabilised to prevent further rusting.

If the brown shown on the render is Corten steel then the building should look great behind the lodge. If the material is just rust coloured aluminium panels the building will look terrible and get worse as it gets older.

I like the way the Architects have reinterpreted some of the design elements of the lodge such as dividing the building vertically into a plinth, mid section and distinctive cap and breaking up the east facade into three vertical panels as per the original lodge.

The efforts to create a plaza and pedestrian thoroughfare are to be commended but have been compromised by much of the plaza and the buildings ground floor being taken up by driveway and the car park entrance.

I couldn't quite read what it said on the drawings but the buildings to the west appeared to be new buildings. If there are new buildings constructed there with an active frontage to the proposed thoroughfare then we might start to get some decent laneway action.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#55 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:00 am

Looks good to me. This is possibly the best proposal/development appearance wise I've seen for Adelaide in recent years.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by Howie » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:06 am

urban wrote:
Howie wrote:Can I just add that the brown you see there will look great on the building.. it's actually a form of rust, but as a feature.. i forget the name of the product perhaps you guys know it.. but it actually helps protects the building while giving it some character. It's a really unique design for the city, and it's extremely well finished. There will be floor to ceiling glass so the apartments will look really swish.
Sounds like Corten Steel. Steel plate which has been oxidised and then stabilised to prevent further rusting.
Yes thank you! That's the stuff... had a mental blank for a moment.

Btw, there's another render that I saw that looks very nice... that one does a good job of showing it's height in regards to Masonic Lodge, but i'll try to get another one that focuses on the new building itself.

urban
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by urban » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:20 am

It's worth remembering that renders of glass buildings look much better than the final product while renders of buildings which use materials such as corten steel, corrugated iron, exposed masonry don't look as good as the finished building.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#58 Post by SRW » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:44 am

urban wrote:It's worth remembering that renders of glass buildings look much better than the final product while renders of buildings which use materials such as corten steel, corrugated iron, exposed masonry don't look as good as the finished building.
Indeed, that has seemed the case. I think this Corten steel will look spectacular from a street perspective, though I'm less sure it will mesh in a skyline view. Looking at some examples of its use on other buildings, I think it will end up a much duller colour (once it has weathered).

Pistol mentioned that north-facing apartments on levels 3-10 might be reserved for student accommodation due to limited sunlight. I'm not so sure. It would seem to contradict the developer's statement that it will be owner/occupied.
Keep Adelaide Weird

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#59 Post by omada » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:13 pm

From what I see, it's thumbs up from me too! Love the way they are opening up the urban space around the building, this is precisely the type of considered development that we want in Adelaide.. the rust effect will be interesting too... wonder when this one comes up before the council?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by Will » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:56 pm

Like others I am too going to reserve judgement on this one until I see some more images.

The first reaction I got was: "why brown?", but after staring at the image it kind of has grown on me.