[COM] COM: 223 North Terrace | 5/7lvls | 53m Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#16 Post by Will » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:23 pm

Great photos Chris, thanks for sharing. Great to see that the speed of construction has finally reached a normal rate.

This building is listed on Emporis as reaching a height of 45m, however when it is compared to the 38m tall Eastwest apartments, I think that it will be taller. There are still a few floors to go, so my estimate is that the building will reach a height of 50m, a similar height of the Horizon Apartments. In that part of the city it will definately make an impact, and I'm also glad that it is having an impact on the city skyline when viewed from Light's lookout.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#17 Post by Algernon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:19 pm

Sorry about the quality guys, sun just wasn't in the right spots. :(

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#18 Post by Howie » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:20 pm

Nah looks great mate.. thanks for posting them up!

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#19 Post by UrbanSG » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:49 am

Taken today. Having a nice impact on this part of the Adelaide skyline.

Algernon

[COM]

#20 Post by Algernon » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:26 pm

Thanks chief.

I drove past this one at about 7 this morning, and it appears the building has another couple of levels set back from the northern face. It's possible they're building another level onto the northern face, so the setback would be in a step like formation.

Surely the facade is coming soon!

Algernon

[COM]

#21 Post by Algernon » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:53 pm

Algernon

[COM]

#22 Post by Algernon » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:59 pm

Eastern side of the north tower has reached full height.

Here's a close up of the southern tower:

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#23 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Pic from today:

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#24 Post by Adelarch » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:00 pm

God, this one really is slow

fortunately the finishes already on there give me some hope that the result will eventually be worth the wait

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#25 Post by AG » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:47 am

Plenty of room to park CBD record
Maurice Dunlevy
April 18, 2006
A 1960s CBD car park is an unlikely location for a record-breaking apartment sale.
But in Adelaide you can expect the unexpected, with the $2.5 million sale of a penthouse atop a seven-storey car park adjoining David Jones.

The development is the work of solicitor and property developer Neville Obst and his Martin Towers group, but has its origins in the foresight of the Haywards, the wealthy merchant family that owned John Martins Ltd, South Australia's best known department store.

"Johnnies" closed in 1998, but not its North Terrace car park which, along with an arcade of 10 shops, was owned by Julius Colman's MCS Property group, later to be taken over by Centro Properties Group.

When the car park was built 35 years ago, the Haywards planned to build an international hotel on the rooftop and reinforced the structure to take the extra weight.

The hotel never happened, and a later proposal by MCS to build student accommodation was turned down by an Adelaide City Council, which was not convinced that cheap student digs were the best use of the prime location.

Mr Obst, a city solicitor, who acted for Chinese investors in Adelaide's successful Queen Victoria Hospital apartment development in the 1990s, bought the air rights in 2001.

The result was a twin-tower project known as 223 North Terrace, where 90 per cent of the 111 apartments sold off-the-plan in the first stage release in 2003, mostly to owner-occupiers attracted to the location directly behind Rundle Mall, the city's main retail thoroughfare.

Six penthouses, three sub-penthouses and six courtyard apartments in the North Tower were released for sale in December last year, with the $2.5million penthouse selling off-the-plan that month.

While that sale, to a local businessman nearing retirement, set an apartment record, it's a record that could fall, with a larger penthouse on the opposite corner of the same tower on the market for about $3 million.

For the money, the buyer will get a 300sqm apartment with three balconies.

"You won't find anything else like it in the city, with unrivalled views over the CBD and parklands to the coast and Adelaide Hills," Mr Obst said.

Construction started in 2003 with a transfer slab on the car-park roof that supports the weight of the lightweight steel apartment towers.

Designed by Adelaide architects Tectvs, the focus was to provide uninterrupted views as well as to ensure the edgy industrial-look apartments weren't out of place with nearby historic North Terrace buildings that include the State Library, South Australian Museum, Art Gallery of South Australia and the 130-year-old University of Adelaide.

While the five-level south tower, with 45 apartments, is almost complete, the seven-level north tower, with 66 apartments, should be finished in August.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#26 Post by Howie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:31 am

Thanks for posting the article AG. A good read with some very interesting facts.

The hotel proposal would have been nice.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#27 Post by Pikey » Mon May 08, 2006 8:05 am

Tower crane's gone now
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#28 Post by Howie » Mon May 08, 2006 8:08 am

So that's what all the road blockages over the weekend was about? They had another two cranes up to remove this one and closed half of north terrace on saturday.

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#29 Post by Thunderstruck » Mon May 08, 2006 11:08 am

Im sad this crane has gone :( was up there for a long time, nearly two years I think. Stood out well coming into city from the N and E.
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

Algernon

[COM]

#30 Post by Algernon » Mon May 08, 2006 12:46 pm

I just think it's a shame that all of the facade work has been done behind the green mesh, so there's been no opportunity to take progress pics. :(

I guess all I can say for our interstaters is that all the facade elements, such as balconies etc, have been done. There's also the vertical line facade features bits but no glass installed from what I can see.