News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Public transport in Adelaide vs. public transport in Europe

#61 Post by jk1237 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:39 pm

a sign from those stats, is to build more and more med density housing around public transport nodes, so that we get more density where it would be best suited. Mawson Lakes is a good example, and the proposal around Islington Station. Ethelton and Glanville (soon) have now some med density housing around it. As the market has shown, theres no lack of demand for this style of housing, especially when there will be more o/s students in the next few years. Along the western train line in Sydney, each station has heaps of recently built large housing towers around them, in between the city and Strathfield.
When I used to live in Tea Tree Gully, there was a proposal to build some multi storey aptments around Modbury Interchange, however the local oldies were outraged at the idea. Stuff em! I say
There is quite a lot of land to the west of Elizabeth Stn, so I hope they put some med density there, when the RAAF base finally gives the land over. Even Klemzig Stn on the o'bahn has a few empty patches near the Torrens for some highrises

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#62 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:42 pm

If we're gonna have high density housing surrounding stations, those stations will need high freqencies.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by Edgar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:54 pm

There really is nothing wrong with our public transport in Adelaide, the problem is service intervals. The trains in particular, even during peak hours the service intervals sucks. So everyone rushes to catch the same train during peak hours, and there are all packed. The seats are not comfortable and I do not fancy the I-Face-You-You-Face-Me seating arrangements.

If they could increase the service frequency, it would make public transport a better experience.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#64 Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Edgar wrote:. The seats are not comfortable and I do not fancy the I-Face-You-You-Face-Me seating arrangements.

I must admit, i too hate looking at a stranger straight across from me. Then saying a nervous "Hi' so i don't seem rude (on a train with few people of course)

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#65 Post by AG » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:10 pm

Cruise wrote:
Edgar wrote:. The seats are not comfortable and I do not fancy the I-Face-You-You-Face-Me seating arrangements.

I must admit, i too hate looking at a stranger straight across from me. Then saying a nervous "Hi' so i don't seem rude (on a train with few people of course)
In Sydney, the newer train sets now have reversible seating so that the back can be flipped to change direction and passengers can choose which way to sit. Most intelligent people choose to sit facing the direction they are travelling in.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by AtD » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:11 pm

monotonehell wrote:Speaking of this, does anyone have a population density map for the Greater Metro Area? I've only been able to find one for the Square mile and North Adelaide.
http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats ... 4_2006.pdf (very large file)
Page 15 of the file. The whole thing is fascinating bedtime reading, maps of public transport use, high/low income households, education levels, types of dwellings, etc. There's versions for all capital cities.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by Edgar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:29 pm

Cruise wrote:

I honestly do not mind standing in the train, but because of the seating arrangements in horizontal leaving not much room for standing passengers, everyone ended up clogging the entrance/exit passage way of the train. Again affecting the accessibility in and out of the train. Worse when bikes are carried onto the train.

Again, a popular issue with Adelaide is inaccessibility to everything. Even when entering/existing the central station, why do we have to be on the queue just so we leave/enter the station by having to re-validate our tickets? And when you ticket gone wrong, you need to go to the counter to validate it before you can exit, what a damn stupid idea.

I really went ahead and took the initiative as encouraged by a lot of people in this forum to start taking public transport, but are constantly being let down by all the inconvenience and proved not beneficial for me at all. If this persists, I might swear to not even go close to public transport in the future constantly being put off by the way it is being run, and I already have my point.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#68 Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:03 pm

AG wrote:
Cruise wrote:

In Sydney, the newer train sets now have reversible seating so that the back can be flipped to change direction and passengers can choose which way to sit. Most intelligent people choose to sit facing the direction they are travelling in.
I was in Sydney 10 years ago and you could do this. must have been new then i guess?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#69 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:06 pm

Edgar, you have to "revalidate" (it's more checking, it's not being validated) your ticket at all Sydney train stations and at all central Melbourne train stations. It's the same in Brisbane and Perth.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#70 Post by AtD » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:11 pm

Norman wrote:Edgar, you have to "revalidate" (it's more checking, it's not being validated) your ticket at all Sydney train stations and at all central Melbourne train stations. It's the same in Brisbane and Perth.
Adelaide Station simply needs more gates. In morning peak, sometimes the queue can reach back into the train!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#71 Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:11 pm

Edgar wrote:
Again, a popular issue with Adelaide is inaccessibility to everything. Even when entering/existing the central station, why do we have to be on the queue just so we leave/enter the station by having to re-validate our tickets? And when you ticket gone wrong, you need to go to the counter to validate it before you can exit, what a damn stupid idea.
Back in the old days you could just walk onto your train with no worries at central station
Edgar wrote:
I really went ahead and took the initiative as encouraged by a lot of people in this forum to start taking public transport, but are constantly being let down by all the inconvenience and proved not beneficial for me at all. If this persists, I might swear to not even go close to public transport in the future constantly being put off by the way it is being run, and I already have my point.
This i agree with

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#72 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Norman wrote:Edgar, you have to "revalidate" (it's more checking, it's not being validated) your ticket at all Sydney train stations and at all central Melbourne train stations. It's the same in Brisbane and Perth.
To clarify, the gates at the railway station are just to check that you have a valid ticket. We didn't used to have to do this, they introduced it as a way to limit the number of people fare evading. If you catch a train out of Adelaide they get you going in. If you catch a train into Adelaide they catch you trying to go out.

If it's still the same as it was when they first installed them, the gates don't take a ride off your ticket. I haven't caught a train since 2003.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#73 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:28 pm

monotonehell wrote:
To clarify, the gates at the railway station are just to check that you have a valid ticket. We didn't used to have to do this, they introduced it as a way to limit the number of people fare evading. If you catch a train out of Adelaide they get you going in. If you catch a train into Adelaide they catch you trying to go out.

If it's still the same as it was when they first installed them, the gates don't take a ride off your ticket. I haven't caught a train since 2003.
Until they demolish the O-Bahn of course.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#74 Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:42 pm

Norman wrote:
monotonehell wrote:

Until they demolish the O-Bahn of course.
*awaits O-bahn dance*

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#75 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:48 pm

Cruise wrote:
Norman wrote:Until they demolish the O-Bahn of course.
*awaits O-bahn dance*
*Performs OBahn dance (with lyrics) on Norman's head* :twisted:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.