[PRO] Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: #Proposed: Masonic Lodge- Nth Terrace- 17lvl 60m

#61 Post by skyliner » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:25 pm

As someone else said, interesting similarity to globe. With this in mind i like the brown and the general style. IMO it retains the 'blocky' look to fit in with the same appearance of the old Freemasons bldg in front. However, not much else is in sympathy with it. Glad to see the original bldg. preserved - definite architectural merit there.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#62 Post by Hippodamus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:29 pm

In terms of visual appeal, i believe the project does not have any (from the perspective taken from North Terrace)...

The design looks like an 1960's to early 1970's monstrosity... reminds me of that disgusting highrise you can see from the West Parklands (B27) the old West Adelaide soccer grounds.

like the height, don't like the materials chosen... bad!!

Mants
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by Mants » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:00 pm

Hippodamus wrote:In terms of visual appeal, i believe the project does not have any (from the perspective taken from North Terrace)...

The design looks like an 1960's to early 1970's monstrosity... reminds me of that disgusting highrise you can see from the West Parklands (B27) the old West Adelaide soccer grounds.

like the height, don't like the materials chosen... bad!!
id rather this than a city central/flinders link replica anyday!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:49 pm

For some reason, I do like it... :o

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#65 Post by Omicron » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:59 pm

That faux-rust material, when used properly, does look very good, and I agree that it would be very hard to convey its actual appearance in a render.

I'm not completely sold on this just yet, but it's not awful, and I do like the attempts made to liven up the nearby laneways.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by Howie » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:39 am

$4.5m to buy penthouse luxury
Article from: Sunday Mail (SA)

RENATO CASTELLO

April 20, 2008 12:30am

OWNERS of the two penthouses in a planned $120 million Adelaide apartment tower will have their own swimming pools – and developers expect the luxury pads to fetch a record $4.5 million each.
This would eclipse the current South Australian record for an apartment sale, held by a penthouse at The Place on Brougham, North Adelaide at $4.14m.

The median house price in SA is $362,500.

The 500 sq m penthouses, which feature sweeping 270-degree views across the city, are the centrepiece of a 17-storey tower to be built behind the state heritage-listed Masonic Centre on North Tce.

Developers Advantis (QLD) Pty Ltd lodged plans with the Adelaide City Council last week for the 60m building that will feature:

134 one and two-bedroom apartments.

GYM, sauna and separate pool for residents.

BASEMENT parking for 136 cars and ground floor retail.

STORMWATER capture and re-use, and solar hot water systems.

A spokesman for the developer described the four-bedroom, two-storey penthouses as "a big house on top of a building".

"These are for the discerning purchaser . . . someone who wants a city lifestyle but doesn't want to give up the North Adelaide or Burnside palatial living," he said. "You won't get any opportunity for anything like this in the distant future."

The penthouses will feature north-facing outdoor terraces, a master bedroom suite on the top floor and high-end appliances.

But internal finishes to kitchens and bathrooms are still to be determined.

The building will be constructed using cor-ten steel, which naturally rusts – but the structure doesn't corrode – as it is exposed to the elements.

The steel is predominantly used in outdoor sculptures, bridges and in the transportation industry.

"We don't want to clash with the Masonic Lodge, it is a timeless piece and we want it to blend in," the spokesman said.

The grand hall at the rear of the Masonic Centre would be demolished as part of the project, which has been designed by Adelaide architectural firm Tridente Architects.

But under a deal with the Freemasons, who sold the site in 2004, the developers will spend $1.5m on restoring the 80-year-old building.

The Freemasons will remain on site under a 99-year lease agreement with the developers.

A buy-back clause allows the Freemasons to repurchase the lodge should it be viable.

A new pedestrian plaza linking North Tce with Rundle St via Synagogue Place will be created.

The plans are expected to go out for public consultation later this year.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by Mants » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:06 pm

excellent, the developers will be using cor-ten steel. will be something quite different from the usual cement and green glass of late!

from adelaidenow.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#68 Post by Joely » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:03 pm

I actually don't mind the design of this building at all. There seems to be quite a bit of glass aswell on the balconies etc. I'm not really sure what cor-ten steel looks like, but if it the brown sections of the building turn out to be a metalic copper material, it will look excellent IMO. I also love the blades on the roof.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by monotonehell » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:57 pm

Joely wrote:I actually don't mind the design of this building at all. There seems to be quite a bit of glass aswell on the balconies etc. I'm not really sure what cor-ten steel looks like, but if it the brown sections of the building turn out to be a metalic copper material, it will look excellent IMO. I also love the blades on the roof.
I think you have the wrong concept. It looks like rust basically.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#70 Post by Joely » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:05 pm

:| ooooh, hmm, I cant really picture what it's going to look like. From what I can gather it will look like a shipwreck :(. This building has the potenial to be something really cool and modern, or look like a rusty monstrosity from the 60s. I really hope it doesnt turn out like the latter. I guess its something different for a change. I'm getting so sick of that damn green glass!!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#71 Post by monotonehell » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Joely wrote::| ooooh, hmm, I cant really picture what it's going to look like. From what I can gather it will look like a shipwreck :(. This building has the potenial to be something really cool and modern, or look like a rusty monstrosity from the 60s. I really hope it doesnt turn out like the latter. I guess its something different for a change. I'm getting so sick of that damn green glass!!
I think it's a result of everything that architects try to make that looks shiny eventually weathers badly, so they have decided just to go with it and find something that's pre-weathered. :lol:

Done well it can look good, it makes a great contrast feature, but if overdone then your shipwreck analogy is apt.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#72 Post by Howie » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:07 pm

I think that there's so many architectural ideas put into this building - all that glass alongside the corten steel, then the waterfeature in the underground carpark, and the striking blades on the top of the building.. i'm sure it's bound to be a success.

alfer7_3
Gold-Member ;)

#73 Post by alfer7_3 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:01 pm

This rusty metal look is something which the sculptor Richard Serra works with alot. the sculpture which monotonehell posted is one of his works. I think it looks great, minimalist and will be a contrast on our skyline while the rust metal also complements the stone of the masonic lodge

urban
Legendary Member!

#74 Post by urban » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:46 pm

Adelaide Sculptor Greg Johns has also done some very large projects using Corten Steel. If you pick up the Art walk booklet from the ACC you will find a few of his sculptures scattered around the city.

BTW it is not faux rust and it does not look like rust. It IS rust. It has been stabilised to prevent further rusting. I know our building industry is mainly cheap and nasty imitation materials but it is still possible to build using real materials ie stone, timber, rusted steel, galvanised steel etc

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#75 Post by Pants » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:54 pm

I really like it fwiw. Given its location it's an appropriate blend of old and new and shows alot more thought and care for its surroundings than so many new proposals going around these days. The use of materials other than concrete, bare steel and glass is also a real plus.

Wish it had more of an impact on North Tce, but it's probably best that it doesn't outshine the lodge too much.