[PRO] Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: #Proposed: Masonic Lodge- Nth Terrace- 17lvl 60m

#76 Post by skyliner » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:59 pm

I just dragged some badly rusted star pickets out of the ground a few days ago. Looked like they were painted that colour. The rich orange/brown rust colour was striking. Hope there is no fading on the proposed bldg - It will look equally impressive. Good position to lift the skyline as well. It does'nt completely detract from the masonic bldg.

Overall vote - thumbs up. :D :D

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#77 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:01 pm

skyliner wrote:I just dragged some badly rusted star pickets out of the ground a few days ago. Looked like they were painted that colour. The rich orange/brown rust colour was striking. Hope there is no fading on the proposed bldg - It will look equally impressive. Good position to lift the skyline as well. It does'nt completely detract from the masonic bldg.

Overall vote - thumbs up. :D :D

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER SKYLINER
Argh don't remind me of my time working for the ACC, pulling out all of the bunting and star pickets around the parklands after an event.
Kick rip Kick rip Kick rip Kick rip Kick rip Kick rip Kick rip Kick rip Kick rip... :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#78 Post by Shuz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:05 am

urban wrote:Adelaide Sculptor Greg Johns has also done some very large projects using Corten Steel. If you pick up the Art walk booklet from the ACC you will find a few of his sculptures scattered around the city.

BTW it is not faux rust and it does not look like rust. It IS rust. It has been stabilised to prevent further rusting. I know our building industry is mainly cheap and nasty imitation materials but it is still possible to build using real materials ie stone, timber, rusted steel, galvanised steel etc
Would one of these sculptures be near the Adelaide University on the corner of Frome and Kintiore roads? Looking at the picture before, and thinking of that sculpture they appear to be the same thing. I think it'll be a fantastic and architecturally stunning contrast to the other materials around.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#79 Post by Mants » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:06 pm

Shuz wrote:
urban wrote:Adelaide Sculptor Greg Johns has also done some very large projects using Corten Steel. If you pick up the Art walk booklet from the ACC you will find a few of his sculptures scattered around the city.

BTW it is not faux rust and it does not look like rust. It IS rust. It has been stabilised to prevent further rusting. I know our building industry is mainly cheap and nasty imitation materials but it is still possible to build using real materials ie stone, timber, rusted steel, galvanised steel etc
Would one of these sculptures be near the Adelaide University on the corner of Frome and Kintiore roads? Looking at the picture before, and thinking of that sculpture they appear to be the same thing. I think it'll be a fantastic and architecturally stunning contrast to the other materials around.
frome road and kintore avenue never intersect...where exactly are you referring to?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#80 Post by Shuz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:23 pm

Oh wait, um not Kintoire... erm, whats the one that runs along the Torrens. Its not War Memorial Drive, cos thats on the other side.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#81 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Victoria Drive

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#82 Post by Shuz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:39 pm

Thankyou! Well anyway, its on the corner of Victoria Drive and Frome Street, theres some sculpture there, on the corner which looks like it is made out of Corten steel, as it had that rusty colour to it. If this is the material to be going up, I can tell you it will look impressive.

Off-topic, but while I'm talking about the area, whats happening with the site across the road on Frome? It's been demo'd, barricaded, etc. I couldn't see a pit or core or anything, so I knew it wasn't the Engineering building being built. Anyone know whats going on here?

urban
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by urban » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:48 pm

I haven't seen that one but I think it is one of Greg Johns

rcasson
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#84 Post by rcasson » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:49 pm

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Rob Casson and I am a Freemason. I have some knowledge of the issues realting to the Masonic Centre but the comments I make are unoffical and are my personal opinions. The circumstances relating to the future of the building goe back a number of years. With falling membership and diffculty in finances the sale of the building was inevitable.

I make the following comments on some of the postings relating to The Masonic Centre.

Aug 14 2006
Finally that great carpark behind the masonic center's going to get some adequate use.

There is no 'great carpark' behind the Masoinc Center. There is a relative new car park to the east of the building and an 'old' car park to the west.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:09 pm
" . . .It's nothing special trust me... a half used carpark and that's about it, and a derelict hall that looks way beyond it's used-by-date.

Againg I am not aware of the 'half used' car park. The Frome Street car park is often full and the 'old' car park to the west of our building often has the "Car Park Full' sign out.

Howie on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:01 am
Wonder if Advantis bought the tiny carpark next to the masonic building also?

My understanding is that Advantis did not buy the 'tiny' car park. I further understand that that particular site is owned by the University.

Howie on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:30 pm
From what I hear the freemasons are happy about this development because :
1) the building at the front will undergo a total restoration,
2) the hall at the back won't be missed as it has some serious maintenance issues.. for example, did you know there's massive amounts of running water underneath the hall? and that the floors on the hall are so thin, if you were to hold some major event there you'd probably fall right through? obvious safety issues there.

The Freemasons are not happy about the develoment, nor are they unhappy about the development. A decision making process is still taking place which will include input from the general membership with the Board of Management making the formal decision.

The hall at the back is part of the history of the building. To say it wont be missed is pure speculation. There are not 'massive amounts of water running underneath the hall'. There is a basement under the hall comprising supper and meeting rooms, storage area and a ladies lounge and a function room. To say 'the floors on the hall are so thin, if you were to hold some major event there you'd probably fall right through?' is just not true. The premises comply with all OHWS standards and in 2007 (?) The Festival Fringe erected a scaffold of tiered seating on the floor. Hardly an action on a floor that you 'would fall right thru'

i hope my comments are of benefit to subscribers to this list and might I suggest if you haven't taken the thursday tour to do so, but, dont expect the tour guide to have information re the future of the building

Rob Casson

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#85 Post by Howie » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:56 pm

Thanks for your comments Rob. As you know we often hear information secondhand - so it's great to have it from the horses mouth so to speak. So Rob what are your personal thoughts about the development? Do you think that this development would be detrimental to the building or would it enhance it? Are you happy/unhappy to see it go up?

rcasson
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#86 Post by rcasson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:22 pm

I have no wish to enter into a discussion on the pros and cons of the development. My concern is the welfare of the lodges (inlcuding my own) that currently meet on the premises.

Previous attempts to have the heritage listing lifted have failed, I imagine that compensation may be sought if the Hall is demolished. The real estate value of the property would have been considerably enhanced if demolition was known to be able to take place.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#87 Post by Ben » Thu May 01, 2008 9:07 am

This is now on public notification already. No time wasted on this proposal.

There are a lot more renders but i'm not too sure how to post them.

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/netc ... DevID=1053

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#88 Post by Howie » Thu May 01, 2008 9:57 am

Here you go :)

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#89 Post by Ben » Thu May 01, 2008 9:59 am

Thanks Howie.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#90 Post by Ho Really » Thu May 01, 2008 10:56 am

Won't those (thick) square-edged flanges at the top of these apartments date quickly? What about rounded ones?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.