News & Discussion: Other Transport Projects

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #Transport Projects

#61 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:00 pm

This is pretty much a non-event, as the Oaklands station is being upgraded anyway (could have been a cause) and the whole track is being upgraded to concrete sleepers in the next few months.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#62 Post by AtD » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:43 pm

Interesting news. Adelaide may be handling post-panamax container freight while Melbourne's port is still stuck in the courts. :mrgreen:
http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Shipping/10193269.html
DP World invests Dh121m in Adelaide Port expansion
By Saifur Rahman, Business News Editor
Published: February 28, 2008, 00:39

Adelaide: Global terminal operator DP World is investing Dh121 million (A$35 million) in the expansion of the quay and other facilities in Adelaide Port, where it operates a container terminal, according to a top official.

"We have recorded 28 per cent growth in container throughput to 255,000 twenty foot equivalent units (TEUs) in 2007, up from the previous year's 202,000 TEUs," Andrew Towers, general manager of DP World Adelaide, told Gulf News yesterday.

"We are investing A$35 million in upgrading facilities including buying cranes, other equipment and expanding the terminal's quay by 149 metres alongside the existing 510 metres, which will satisfy our needs till 2012."

New equipment

The planned investment include two new Post Panamax Cranes planned for commissioning by 2009, four new generation Noell Straddle Carriers due for delivery this year, upgrade and redevelopment of hard-stand, other heavy lift equipment for use in terminal and depot and the development of regional intermodal hub.

The port's draft has been increased to 14.2 metres.

DP World currently operates five container terminals in Australia's major ports - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth in Western Australia.

It acquired the management of Adelaide port through DP World's global acquisition of CSX World Terminals in 2004 while the rest came under its management through the acquisition of P&O.

"The port is running at nearly full capacity. By 2012, we might need to construct a third terminal to handle the demand," Towers said.

Towers said, the company is investing A$800,000 in building an eco-friendly office for its management just near the terminal. It employs 180 people.

"DP World's taking over the terminal is good for the South Australian economy. They are willing to invest in infrastructure and employees," he said.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by Edgar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:02 am

great news, how did you came about hearing this Adam?
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#64 Post by AtD » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:08 pm

I was wasting time at work, so typed Adelaide into Google News. :lol:

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#65 Post by Ho Really » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:20 am

The planned investment include two new Post Panamax Cranes planned for commissioning by 2009...
For those that don't know Panamax portainers have a reach of 13 containers wide. Post-Panamax portainers have a reach of 18 containers wide (meaning a container ship with a breadth of 18 containers). Very big ships indeed!
"The port is running at nearly full capacity. By 2012, we might need to construct a third terminal to handle the demand," Towers said.
I'm wondering why the grain wharf was built at OH 8? Shouldn't that have been left as a future container wharf (on top of the current 149m extension)? The grain wharf should have been built where the future OH 9 or OH 10 (closer to Pelican Point) would be. This would have given DP World (or CSX then) a continuous container wharf of three terminals.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by Howie » Tue May 13, 2008 11:35 pm

$277m for SA road and rail projects out of $20bn fund
Article from: The Advertiser
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 87,00.html

GREG KELTON, STATE EDITOR

May 13, 2008 07:30pm

A $20 billion infrastructure fund - with $277 million for South Australian transport projects - will be the centrepiece of a federal plan aimed at building better roads, rail systems, ports and installing broadband.

There will be an immediate $75 million allocation in the coming financial year for studies to find the highest priority transport projects across Australia.

Treasurer Wayne Swan told Parliament this would begin the necessary planning work for key projects in advance of further deliberations by an independent body to be known as Infrastructure Australia.

Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese said there were a number of landmark projects which had the potential to "transform the face of our cities and the productivity of our economy".

South Australia will get more than $277 million in road and rail projects - including $86 million to make an early start on election commitments.

The SA projects immediately affected are:

$60 million to deliver the 23km Northern Expressway and upgrade Port Wakefield Rd by 2010.
$12.6 million for planning the South Rd upgrade.
$12 million for safety upgrades along the Dukes Highway, including overtaking lanes.
$1 million for a comprehensive Adelaide rail freight movement study, including examining moving the main rail freight line through Belair north of the Adelaide Hills.
$500,000 for planning a $7 million upgrade of the intersection of Victor Harbor Rd and Main South Rd.

Overall, the the Budget investment in SA transport infrastructure allocated $189.9 million for construction and maintenance on the state's 5315km of road and rail, $4.2 million for 22 Auslink strategic regional projects, $30.3 million for local roads under the Roads to Recovery Program, and $3.9 million to eliminate 22 road safety black spots.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#67 Post by Shuz » Wed May 14, 2008 10:49 am

That's it? $277m?

We have 8% of the nations population, so we should be entitled to 8% of the budget which is $1.6b. Instead, we are cut short, yet again!
Sighs... what'll this ever do?

Ho Really

#68 Post by Ho Really » Wed May 14, 2008 10:56 am

Shuz wrote:That's it? $277m?

We have 8% of the nations population, so we should be entitled to 8% of the budget which is $1.6b. Instead, we are cut short, yet again!
We may have to wait until the next budget or the next or the next... :(

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#69 Post by Will409 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:28 am

That is pathetic to say the least. While we do atleast have federal support for a number of previously announced projects, a far greater injection of funds will be needed to get us to the level of the other states (as well as having a funding shift from road to suburban, and to a slightly lesser extent, regional rail). Would anyone believe me if I said that a light engine movement from Port Lincoln to Ceduna takes around 20 HOURS because the state of the track there limits the speed to an average of 20km/h. To make the same journey by road takes around a quarter of the time.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#70 Post by Shuz » Wed May 14, 2008 11:40 am

I just find it disgraceful that we have only recieved about 1/6th of what were entitled to, and like Will has said about the state of the transport system (a very good example used there, which would definetly have some impact with the mining boom) I genuinely thought that Rudd was going to deliver something beneficial to SA, and turns out he has just mimicked Howard in this regard.

Up yours mate.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#71 Post by aussie2000 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:54 pm

Will409 wrote: Would anyone believe me if I said that a light engine movement from Port Lincoln to Ceduna takes around 20 HOURS
Unfortunately I do believe you, are we even part of this country anymore???? when I go interstate, I feel like im in a different country, the other states are so much better off than us, and the amount of money that this country is going to make out of OUR mining boom, it makes me sick, I love Australia and I always try to see us as one country and not compare states and cities because together we are greater, but im sick of how we are treated!!!!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#72 Post by Cruise » Wed May 14, 2008 5:36 pm

don't worry guys, he will promise the rest just before the next election :roll:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#73 Post by AtD » Wed May 14, 2008 5:51 pm

Shuz wrote:I just find it disgraceful that we have only recieved about 1/6th of what were entitled to, and like Will has said about the state of the transport system (a very good example used there, which would definetly have some impact with the mining boom) I genuinely thought that Rudd was going to deliver something beneficial to SA, and turns out he has just mimicked Howard in this regard.

Up yours mate.
Shuz, you've been duped by News Ltd's dodgy reporting. I've been keeping an eye on how the media is covering recent economic events as part of my job, and I'm not exaggerating when I say News Ltd papers get more facts wrong then anyone else. If there's another source, trust it first.

http://business.theage.com.au/building- ... -2do6.html
Building Australia gets $20b
The Age
Peter Hannam
May 13, 2008 - 11:11PM

Funds to address the country's congested highways and clogged ports make up the biggest single initiative in Treasurer Wayne Swan's first budget.

The Building Australia Fund (BAF) will absorb $20 billion to spend on infrastructure projects with "high social value'' but not being undertaken by states or the private sector.

With the war chest to be managed by the existing Future Fund, the government plans to take its time to identify which targets most need the money.

Its newly created Infrastructure Australia unit has been ordered to produce a priority list by the end of 2008 to be presented three months later at a state-federal government confab.

In the meantime, though, the government's immediate spending plans include $3.2 billion for road and rail transport, with about $560 million brought forward from 2009-10 to ease the squeeze.

New South Wales and Queensland receive the biggest slices of that spending, while Western Australia - home to the next Labor state likely to go to the polls - gets the biggest acceleration of projects.

The other big project is the rollout of the National Broadband Network - the plan to wire high-speed internet to 98% of the country's businesses and households.

The $4.7 billion tab includes the $2.4 billion Communications Fund, which will be closed, and rolled into the BAF. Some $2.7 billion of the T3 sale of Telstra share will also be added to the spending pot.
$227m/$3200m = 7%

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#74 Post by Norman » Wed May 14, 2008 7:39 pm

Well it was expected Queensland would get a lot :roll:

skyliner

#75 Post by skyliner » Wed May 14, 2008 7:52 pm

I read this too. I'm with you mate!By contrast QLD gets around $3000M for roads - unbelievable contrast to SA. I see your point about proportionate payment - especially in the face of the mining boom!

Not impressed. Eg What happened tothe government promise in early 2000's to extend the railways to MG in the SE. All it involves is about 25 Km over rail that already been maintained by Limestone Coast Railway. How hard is that!
Jack.