RegionaLink and Adelaide Metro Vision by Pat28

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Pat28
High Rise Poster!

RegionaLink and Adelaide Metro Vision by Pat28

#1 Post by Pat28 » Fri May 23, 2008 5:09 pm

Hi guys,
I am newbie on the block, after trawling the site for a few weeks i though id i posting my vision for regional rail as an idea - critise, praise, do whatever. this is just a vision and mainly works on ideas from many other people. Also i have a metro rail map as well
Attachments
statemaptrains.png
RegionalVision
statemaptrains.png (272.25 KiB) Viewed 5900 times
metromaptrainstickets.png
MetroVision
metromaptrainstickets.png (768.46 KiB) Viewed 5904 times
Last edited by Pat28 on Fri May 23, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #Transport Projects

#2 Post by Norman » Sat May 24, 2008 12:06 am

Pat28 wrote:Hi guys,
I am newbie on the block, after trawling the site for a few weeks i though id i posting my vision for regional rail as an idea - critise, praise, do whatever. this is just a vision and mainly works on ideas from many other people. Also i have a metro rail map as well
Not too bad work there. However, there are some points:
-No rail can go up to Flinders Uni, unless a really deep tunnel is built. It's just too steep.
-The service to Mount Barker is just too slow for Metropolitan use due to the Belair/Eden Hills/Lynton U-Turn. It's not feasible.
-I like the services to connecting V/Line services, but we might as well run them through to Melbourne like CountryLink do.
-A train to Virginia is useless, there is so little out there it's not funny. Bus is sufficient until more development occurs there.
-Not sure if the Aberfoyle Park and Flagstaff Hill link would work, as you first have to get by the very steep incline of Flagstaff Hill and also get around the Resoirvar
-Also not sure how feasible a line to Roseworthy would be.

That's my comments for now. Keep working at it though, it's a great start. Remember, keep it as feasible as possible, and do your research :D

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

Re: RegionaLink and Adelaide Metro Vision by Pat28

#3 Post by Pat28 » Sat May 24, 2008 11:25 am

Very valid points raised Norman. It seems i forgot to add that a CrossCity service is very similar to Sydney's Intercity. also, the Flinders Uni station could always be along side South Road with a pedestrian overpass (this maybe a very long one at that).
On anther point, Norman keep up the good work - i wonder what you would do when you get to the Hills busses - it is utter schambles up here

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sun May 25, 2008 7:34 pm

Wow thats cool, it makes my S-bahn vision look very small :P

Its like all the places where you would just expect the train to go but it doesn't. If peak oil hits soon we will need this kind of a rail network and possibly more...and lots more bicycles.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by ReallyBad » Tue May 27, 2008 8:20 pm

I like it well done Pat.

As for the hills can't they just stick a V8 in the trains... :wink:
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Howie » Tue May 27, 2008 9:32 pm

Great work, as a western suburbs resident i'd like to say I really like the idea of a tram terminal at arndale kilkenny.

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by cleverick » Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 pm

Norman wrote: -A train to Virginia is useless, there is so little out there it's not funny. Bus is sufficient until more development occurs there.
I guess you could wait till there's enough development, then knock down a few newly-built high-rises and townhouses, purchase an extremely expensive right-of-way corridor through all the very dense connecting suburbs and have fights with residents about noise and construction and the cost and the pain and O! the humanity!

Or you could do it now.

Your choice.

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by cleverick » Wed May 28, 2008 9:58 pm

Oh, and I'd love if you ran a metrocoast line, from Sellicks Beach to Brighton then direct to Somerton Park, Harbour Town, Grange, West Lakes, Outer Harbour.

It's one of my babies, see http://www.cleverail.blogspot.com

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by AtD » Wed May 28, 2008 10:03 pm

cleverick wrote:I guess you could wait till there's enough development, then knock down a few newly-built high-rises and townhouses, purchase an extremely expensive right-of-way corridor through all the very dense connecting suburbs and have fights with residents about noise and construction and the cost and the pain and O! the humanity!
That chicken-and-egg situation is what plagues most infrastructure in this country, public transport especially.

But highrises in Virginia? Probably never, the whole area is floodplain.

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by cleverick » Wed May 28, 2008 10:11 pm

If you're going to argue that, may I remind you that the entire western suburbs is a floodplain? Witness Woodville/Port Rds, witness the name of the area: "the Reedbeds", witness the route from Adelaide to Henley Beach frequently including a rowboat in the 1930s, before Breakout Creek was built.

Not to mention almost the entire landarea of Holland.

Floodplains (Oceans?) aren't really a problem if you don't want them to be.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

RE: RegionaLink and Adelaide Metro Vision by Pat28

#11 Post by Pat28 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:17 pm

AtD wrote: That chicken-and-egg situation is what plagues most infrastructure in this country, public transport especially.
Couldn't agree more, after doing a pilot survey, for some work, public transport generally is a chicken-and-egg situation. Just look at the Hills for example - total farce and severe under utilization of infrastructure.

Anyway with the Virginia line, it would really follow the ARTC line out of Salisbury and apparently the land where former stations were for the Penfield line is still vacant.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by crawf » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:19 am

Excellent work Pat28, very sleek and well planned out.

However a trainline to the tiny Mallee town of Pinaroo would be pointless, it would be better to extend the railway from Renmark over to Mildura.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#13 Post by Shuz » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:59 pm

Coincidentially, for the last two weeks I have been working on a very similar idea.

Heres my city/metro rail network vision.

PhilH
Gold-Member ;)

#14 Post by PhilH » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:18 pm

Nice work, guys. Shuz, i would suggest that you put in interchanges between your southern red and blue lines at Seaford Rise and Onkaparinga Hills, so that passengers at the southern ends of your lines don't have to backtrack to Noarlunga or Goodwood to access the other line. In the north-east, Fairview Park should probably be an interchange too.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:54 pm

What kind of vehicles are the CityRail and MetroRail?

And how will you get up Flagstaff Hill?