[COM] Conservatory on Hindmarsh | 62m | 18lvls | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#31 Post by UrbanSG » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:10 am

This one sure looks nice with a good amount of glass even on the resi part. Hopefully this mixed use building will prompt more developers in Adelaide to follow the same mix to get some higher buildings around the place. It will be interesting to see how the car park section turns out. Looks like strips of glass, similar to new buildings overseas and interstate, haven't really seen that in Adelaide yet, hopefully it will turn out well. Good to see that render showing it with the views to the east. Sure is a fairly large building and will be noticable from many parts of the city.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#32 Post by Howie » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:52 am

Just been speaking to the COH team... they've sent me some really hi-res images. I've got the raw files too they're about 2mb each, so if you want them just pm me.

56K users beware.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#33 Post by Will » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:17 pm

Thanks for sharing these images Howie! They look great.

8)

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#34 Post by Pikey » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:17 am

The TV campaign has started too. This thing is definately happening now!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#35 Post by AtD » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:26 am

I guess that means this is approved rather than proposed, if they're saying construction is due to start. Does anyone (ie Will) know anything about this? Last I heard they were still arguing over the old design's car parks under Hindmarsh Sq.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#36 Post by UrbanSG » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:06 pm

Yeah well ACC doesn't have much to do with it Atd due to it being given major development status and it is therefore in State Government hands. I think they have approved it. These apartments will sell in no time. We haven't seen a major apartment offering for a while now seeing as Spire haven't gotten there act together fast enough. This one is in an excellent position on Hindmarsh Square and so close to Rundle Mall/Street. Plus the views are going to be breathtaking.

PS. Great renders/impressions Howie

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#37 Post by Will » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:06 pm

AtD wrote:I guess that means this is approved rather than proposed, if they're saying construction is due to start. Does anyone (ie Will) know anything about this? Last I heard they were still arguing over the old design's car parks under Hindmarsh Sq.
I have made a few enquires and I have received a history of the site:

The original project which was given state government major project status in early 2003 was for a 68m tall, 21 level building. All 21 levels were dedicated to residential apartments.

However on March 8, 2004, the minister responsible Jay Weatherill declared that the government was withdrawing support for the project due to concern about height, the underground car-park under public streets and the YWCA Building, encroachments above the YWCA building. The minister suggested that he would support a 15 level building, however the developers rejected this.

The project was under threat, however the new minister Trish White reached a compromise witht he developers on May 27, 2004 for a 19 level building.

On September 1, 2005, the original project was declared unfeasible due to the surplus of apartments on the Adelaide market, and a new tower incorporating the bottom 9 levels as office space, was proposed. The new tower reduced the amount of underground car-parking as well as the encroachments above the YWCA building.

However the government was reluctant to allow underground car-parks, so the latest news is that:

This Thursday June 22, the state government's DAC will approve the current proposal.

The current proposal eliminates the underground car-parks, reduces the number of apartments to 53, and reduces the office space to just 5 levels, due to the large amounts of office space coming onto the market.
The height of the tower has been reduced to 61.8m, However on the bright side the new proposal is now 5 star energy rated, unlike the previous 2 proposals which were 4 star rated.

The building has a total floor area of 11 653 sqm2, and offers 4432 sqm2 of Premium office space.

Construction will begin later this year.

On a side note, the ACC has now increased the height limit on Hindmarsh Square from the previous 26.6m to 40m.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#38 Post by Will » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:01 pm

^^^ Could people please refrain from posting this on SSC until Friday morning, thanks for your co-operation. 8)

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#39 Post by Howie » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:20 pm

Some shots of the model currently on display.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#40 Post by Edgar » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:21 am

I have been waiting for this construction to start, and nothing has been started, yet. What is going on? Is the government not supporting this project again?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#41 Post by Howie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:44 am

Has been approved, government doesn't have a hand in this one as it's a purely commercial venture.

As for when construction will start, might be worth checking into the display center next door at some stage this week me thinks.

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#42 Post by Snorkie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:30 pm

edgar_raphael wrote:I have been waiting for this construction to start, and nothing has been started, yet. What is going on? Is the government not supporting this project again?
If i remember correctly construction is meant to start in december (pretty sure thats right). With construction due for completion in 08 you would assume it would start soon. But yeah, check into the display centre, might give you a more reliable answer.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#43 Post by Pistol » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:01 pm

They are going to demolish the old RAA building in December/January with construction to start shortly thereafter. Due for completion in 2008.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#44 Post by skyliner » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:32 pm

Geetings guys in the best Australian city! -

So the big stuff gets to Hindmarsh Sq! Very impressed with the night rendition of the bldg. I've long had a vision of Vistoria Sq surrounded in high rise - did'nt expect this as well. The bldg adds some class and an extra dimension to Hindmarsh. I gather there is also possibility of another building on RAA site - or have I confused this building site with RAA? (There is so much that has happened since I left Adelaide in 1986).

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#45 Post by AtD » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:16 pm

JRJ, this building will be on the site of the existing (and vacant) RAA building, on the south western corner of Grenfell Street.