Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Sonata
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#1 Post by Sonata » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:54 am

I hope that this is the right place to put this.

http://www.petitiononline.com/rlifts/petition.html

Hello everyone in Adelaide, or who have been to Adelaide, or want to go! Or anyone in small towns who may understand the plight.

Adelaide is a small city and we don't have that much to show tourists, if we're being completely honest. And therefore the loss of another thing to do with visiting friends is something to be mourned. We have external glass lifts in our mall (closed off shopping street) in the city centre, that gives a fantastic view.

Joe Emmanuel saw some glass lifts installed overseas, and had the design duplicated and built in Adelaide in the early 1980's. They were originally intended as a tourist attraction.

Lately Management of the building has been getting more and more annoyed with people having their traditional rides up the glass lifts (yes, it really is a tradition, particularly for small children, and to show to visitors) and recently they have added a big red sign right in the middle of the glass, saying that "Joyriding is forbidden!" and that it's for business ONLY and trespassers will be prosecuted, etc.

There is now a petition that will be given to the management, to encourage them to see the lifts as an asset rather than an annoyance, and to encourage looking at other alternatives rather than banning people from using it.

Don't let them take it away without a protest. Please sign the petition, and please, pass it on to your friends and family, and repost this around the internet. There's also a facebook group for it.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20269066466

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#2 Post by crawf » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:15 pm

I would like to start a petition for that hideous thing to be demolished, with a glassy and modern building (with external glass lifts) built in its place. Loath the Toys R Us building

I've ridden that lift a few times before and its pretty cool (aswell as quite scary :lol:).

Sonata
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3 Post by Sonata » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:19 pm

That would be awesome too, as long as it has external glass lifts that we're allowed to use!
But for now, I think that this petition expressing interest in the glass lifts is what to focus on, rather than saying 'eh, I won't sign it, it's not a pretty building anyway'. Maybe if there's enough interest in the lifts then they'll want to redo the building or make some similar attraction on another new building! If someone did create a new building, I don't believe it's a case of 'one or the other', in signing terms. :)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by AtD » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:43 pm

I hate those lifts, not just because they're old and tacky, but because they intrude on the mall itself.

Sonata
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by Sonata » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:45 pm

Really? How so? You mean the fact that it juts out a bit so the buildings aren't perfectly flat? ... personally, that doesn't bother me. :P

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AtD » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:50 pm

Yes. It interrupts the street scape and the flow of pedestrian traffic along the southern side of the mall. It's a giant void of activity, a blank face on the mall. Although I must admit that it's not the worst building on the mall, in terms of appearance and interactivity with the mall's 'fabric'. That award goes to the Myer Centre.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by crawf » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:17 pm

They're currently redeveloping the Myer Centre ground floor frontage along Rundle Mall with new shops. Though there is still a long way to go, before I was class that place 'decent' and 'attractive'.
Sonata wrote:That would be awesome too, as long as it has external glass lifts that we're allowed to use!
But for now, I think that this petition expressing interest in the glass lifts is what to focus on, rather than saying 'eh, I won't sign it, it's not a pretty building anyway'. Maybe if there's enough interest in the lifts then they'll want to redo the building or make some similar attraction on another new building! If someone did create a new building, I don't believe it's a case of 'one or the other', in signing terms.
There used to be a restaurant located on the higher levels, anyone know if its still open?. I know there is a gym on the top level

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#8 Post by Shuz » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:47 pm

They should demolish the freaking Myer Centre! Hate that place...

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:59 pm

Rather than just a view of Rundle Mall, take a ride in the Westpac building's elevators to the 25th floor, i find the view from there to be more interesting even if staff ask me to leave the building :P

But yeah, those lifts in Rundle mall should open for all to use

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#10 Post by Omicron » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:40 pm

Shuz wrote:They should demolish the freaking Myer Centre! Hate that place...
That entire building is a grossly-overweight, ridiculously-expensive, fundamentally-flawed travesty.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#11 Post by rev » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:21 am

AtD wrote:Yes. It interrupts the street scape and the flow of pedestrian traffic along the southern side of the mall.
You know considering the lifts aren't actually that large, you wouldn't think it, but you are absolutely correct.

Hoops
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by Hoops » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:19 am

If i was a tenant /owner of that building i'd be horrendously annoyed at people joyriding in them.(Not saying I haven't joyrode myself)

There are more important things to worry about/sign petitions over.

Think of the maintenance costs and (Im not 100% on lift workings) but if they require oiling i assume that more trips=more oil = More expensive.. and there not even receiving a return to cover there costs...

I agree with the owners

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by monotonehell » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:53 am

Sorry to the original poster, but I was just talking with friends standing on the corner of Rundle Mall and Pulteney street that the entire building should come down and be replaced with something that's not hideously boxy and undermaintained. The whole building is just plain ugly and I'd love to see the site redeveloped with a new architecturally interesting building that is functional and appropriate to the Mall. If you really want some glass lifts then stick them in a new building.

They ripped out the outdoor escalators there some time ago, I'm encouraging them to keep demolishing ;)

If you want glass lifts you can also go to the Myer Centre. ;) (Okay so it's indoors...)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#14 Post by Shuz » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:54 am

Omicron wrote:
That entire building is a grossly-overweight, ridiculously-expensive, fundamentally-flawed travesty.
Grossly over-weight describes the place very well. Hard to say for a building, but it works for Myer. What did that place cost? A fucking billion? People should be crying foul why that money then wasn't used on a new city stadium.

Why the hell is there a petition to save the glass lifts!? You're supposed to use them! That's what they put them in there for, as for business crying boo-hoos - I'm sure they'll be whining more with the loss of customers. You can't expect everyone to take the escalators for 6 floors or however many are in that god-awful monstrosity. Some people's mentality really has gone out the window - which prompts me to say we really must be heading for an Idiocracy.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:28 pm

Shuz wrote:
Omicron wrote:
Grossly over-weight describes the place very well. Hard to say for a building, but it works for Myer. What did that place cost? A fucking billion? People should be crying foul why that money then wasn't used on a new city stadium.

Why the hell is there a petition to save the glass lifts!? You're supposed to use them! That's what they put them in there for, as for business crying boo-hoos - I'm sure they'll be whining more with the loss of customers. You can't expect everyone to take the escalators for 6 floors or however many are in that god-awful monstrosity. Some people's mentality really has gone out the window - which prompts me to say we really must be heading for an Idiocracy.
haha they should bring back Dazzleland, that rollercoaster was awesome...

kinda sad about that place today is that everything is on the ground or terrace levels