Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Just build it
High Rise Poster!

Re: 2500 new homes for Gawler East

#136 Post by Just build it » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:38 am

It'd be nearly impossible to widen Murray St wouldn't it? Half of it would be heritage listed and would all have to come down. The Town Hall, the pubs and 80% of the shops. From memory the footpaths aren't unusually large so not much room to work with there. I used to drive through Gawler daily 15 years ago and the traffic in Murray St was already hotting up. Can't imagine what it's like now or will be like with 2500 new homes at the top of the hill.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#137 Post by ozisnowman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:37 am

When petrol heads over $5 a litre i am sure that those same people will mind the fact
they arent closer to the city....

Has anyone been watching the tour de france. Even their 20,000 odd residence cities have
apparments compactly spaced with open space, squares cafes and the like...

My wife grew up overseas, their apparment buildings had childrens playgrounds as well
as basketball, handball courts and the like between the apartments also the open
space was well landscaped etc. They were always safe because the children always played
together in large groups and never alone and with so many people around there was
always someone watching out for one anothers kids. Its actually an environment which
is a heck of a lot safer than our suburban streets which usually have no one walking around,
sitting in the front gardens etc.... Would you let your kids out in the suburb when theirs
no one around and cars wizzing by at well over 60km...

Go figure.

I think our city planners need to go on a trip to Europe to see how it can be done rather
than cities in the USA.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#138 Post by AtD » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:15 pm

Just build it wrote:It'd be nearly impossible to widen Murray St wouldn't it? Half of it would be heritage listed and would all have to come down. The Town Hall, the pubs and 80% of the shops. From memory the footpaths aren't unusually large so not much room to work with there. I used to drive through Gawler daily 15 years ago and the traffic in Murray St was already hotting up. Can't imagine what it's like now or will be like with 2500 new homes at the top of the hill.
Even if it could be done, it shouldn't. Gawler is a place of commerce in its own right, foot traffic contributes more than vehiclular traffic. That's what the bypass is for!

Gawler needs buses. Spend the money on that.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#139 Post by Just build it » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Why they'd keep pushing these homes out further and further from the city baffles me in the first place. It seems to go against everything the planning studies they commission actually recommend. By 2020 a Gawler - Adelaide trip along Main North Rd at peak times will probably be a 90 minute drive at $4l for fuel. Yet plenty of these 2500 home owners will still have to commute to the city. They must be looking at re-locating some more industry up there or something.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#140 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Just build it wrote:Why they'd keep pushing these homes out further and further from the city baffles me in the first place. It seems to go against everything the planning studies they commission actually recommend. By 2020 a Gawler - Adelaide trip along Main North Rd at peak times will probably be a 90 minute drive at $4l for fuel. Yet plenty of these 2500 home owners will still have to commute to the city. They must be looking at re-locating some more industry up there or something.
The Northern Expressway helps.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#141 Post by Just build it » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:53 pm

It's still a 100km commute.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#142 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:32 am

Try 45km

There are a stack load of job opportunities in the northern suburbs, so not all potential residents will be enticed to work in town.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#143 Post by Just build it » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:07 am

Yeah 45km if they go to work and never return.....

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#144 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:16 am

Or they can drive/cycle/walk to the train station and take the train. Costs $5.40 return.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#145 Post by Just build it » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:50 am

They could do that. The Gawler Central station will need a pretty big overhaul. Buying out the couple of homes behind it and expanding the small carpark would be an idea too. Not sure too many people will be walking to Gawler Central from Gawler East though. A 3km or 4km steep uphill walk doesn't sound too enticing at the end of the day. If they extend the train line it'd make sense or at least provide some buses. I remember Gawler when it only had a bus to Elizabeth and the city leave each day at 10am from the BP servo in Murray St. Private bus service too, not STA. :roll:

Of the four Gawler people I know, two work at Elizabeth (Holden), one works in the city and one at Nurioopta. There's no big local employer apart from retail that I can think of. I don't have any problem with the town itself, it's an OK place but having a reason to move up to Gawler like a major employer would make more sense than to just plonk another 10000 people there because it's cheap land.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#146 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:00 pm

As I said there are plenty of job opportunities (from admin to working in a factory) in the northern suburbs, places such as Edinburgh Industrial Park - largest in SA.

Which is not far from Gawler

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#147 Post by Cruise » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:43 pm

Why you lot seem to think every one works in the CBD is beyond me.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#148 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:43 pm

Cruise wrote:Why you lot seem to think every one works in the CBD is beyond me.
I was about to say the same... but seem to remember saying the same already in a similar discussion about down South.

Live near where you work (if you can).
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#149 Post by Just build it » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:11 am

That's the point. Work where you live or as close as possible, especially with fuel going up and PT in Gawler a joke. I'd bet at least 50% of Gawler's residents don't work in Gawler and 75% of those head south at least as far as Elizabeth. Of course there's work in the 'northern suburbs' but work out where and then build the houses within 10km of them instead of 25km (Gawler - Ed/Park for example, same distance as Reynella - Victoria Square). The wastelands and uncropped paddocks behind Elizabeth are massive.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#150 Post by crawf » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:17 am

Some people would prefer to live in Gawler, instead of the Elizabeth area

Anyway there are already plans to build thousands of new homes in the Elizabeth area such as 'Playford Alive', Delfin project at Blakeview, housing estates at Craigmore, Andrews Farm etc..

http://www.playfordalive.com.au