Invigorating CBD Alleyways & Lanes

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Invigorating CBD Alleyways & Lanes

#61 Post by Cruise » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:04 pm

Maybe i should paint a mural on the side of your house, see if you like them then.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#62 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:02 pm

Omicron wrote:Look at all the riff-raff hanging about, clad in their rebellious hoodwear and morally-destructive backpackery. Tsk!
I must admit, I had a backpack on and caus it was so cold - I had my hoodwear on too :lol: :lol: Sorry Matty, I prob looked part of the riff-raff.

Actually, a middle aged person was quite interested in what they were doing, and 2 of the artist guys came over to answer questions, shook his hand and introduced themselves. They were really quite nice, friendly guys (you still wouldn't want to mess with them), and probably quite different from the little aggressive dickheads that do their dumb tags everywhere.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#63 Post by Omicron » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:18 pm

jk1237 wrote:
Omicron wrote:Look at all the riff-raff hanging about, clad in their rebellious hoodwear and morally-destructive backpackery. Tsk!
I must admit, I had a backpack on and caus it was so cold - I had my hoodwear on too :lol: :lol: Sorry Matty, I prob looked part of the riff-raff.

Actually, a middle aged person was quite interested in what they were doing, and 2 of the artist guys came over to answer questions, shook his hand and introduced themselves. They were really quite nice, friendly guys (you still wouldn't want to mess with them), and probably quite different from the little aggressive dickheads that do their dumb tags everywhere.
Hoodwear, backpackery and loitering? It's a wonder you weren't locked away for daring to flaunt such youthful insubordination so flagrantly in public!

On the more serious side of things, I think it looks marvellous. A previously-dull corner transformed into a colourful mish-mash is just right for that end of town. Will is right to highlight the potential of the little streets squirreling through this area - we need a Spats/Elephant Walk-esque late-night coffee house, a bar tucked in there somewhere, a fine eatery and other such businesses that can often do best when tucked into the most obscure, oddly-shaped of places. Follow the lead of the BBC, too, and spill out into the paved areas outside.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by SRW » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Omicron wrote: On the more serious side of things, I think it looks marvellous. A previously-dull corner transformed into a colourful mish-mash is just right for that end of town. Will is right to highlight the potential of the little streets squirreling through this area - we need a Spats/Elephant Walk-esque late-night coffee house, a bar tucked in there somewhere, a fine eatery and other such businesses that can often do best when tucked into the most obscure, oddly-shaped of places. Follow the lead of the BBC, too, and spill out into the paved areas outside.
I agree. Certainly, the Chocolate Bean is nestled nearby on Union St and Cocolat is not terribly far away, but one can never have too many such places.
Keep Adelaide Weird

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#65 Post by AtD » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:47 pm

Will wrote:Another idea would be to get the dying Rundle Street Market to move into Union Street, Ebeneezer Place and Syn Choon Lane. This solution would be the best of both worlds, because it would allow Rundle Street to remain open to traffic on a Sunday whilst still allowing the market to continue. Furthermore, by compacting all the stalls in these 3 side streets, it would give the market a more 'alive' and spontaneous feeling, as opposed to the sterile, regimented set-up we have now. Also by staging the Rundle Street Market in these side streets, it would give them the exposure to make new 'Melbourne style alleyway businesses' to open up there.
Agreed! Although Union Street may be better because it leads off Rundle Street, but if memory serves, the ACC high-rise car park opens from there.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by Wayno » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:36 pm

Here's some background on the Everfresh Mural

http://city-messenger.whereilive.com.au ... -exposure/
AN EYE-catching mural has added colour to the East End, delighting traders and attracting passersby.
everfresh.jpg
everfresh.jpg (23.58 KiB) Viewed 6234 times
The mural, at the corner of Ebenezer Place and Union St, was completed last weekend by Melbourne-based art collective Everfresh, whose work also features in Tokyo, New York, Paris, Barcelona and London.

``The public have been walking past saying it’s amazing,’’ says James Washington (pictured), of clothing store Area 101.

``It adds a colour splash and is a wonderful piece of world-class art. It’s a great feature and could lead to more art work.’’

The mural includes Everfresh’s trademark characters and lists nearby shops.

Steve Maras, of property owner the Maras Group, approved the mural because of its quality and Everfresh’s global reputation.

``It has a vibrancy that we’re lacking in this city,’’ Mr Maras said.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#67 Post by Jim » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:18 pm

I wonder if one small lane could be a huge public notice board for funnies and jokes.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#68 Post by jk1237 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:34 pm

Jim wrote:I wonder if one small lane could be a huge public notice board for funnies and jokes.
say again

Mants
Legendary Member!

#69 Post by Mants » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:11 pm

notice Vardon Ave in the top left corner.
this is on the corner of Union St and Ebeneezer Place. tut tut.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#70 Post by Jim » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:10 pm

jk1237 wrote:
Jim wrote:I wonder if one small lane could be a huge public notice board for funnies and jokes.
say again
What I was getting at would be to have a big wall space (maybe in a small central lane) to write up jokes, do little pictures, cartoons, write messages, declare your love, hate and opinion. Even sell you motor bike or gym equipment. (A white board for the masses) I am sure it would become famous or perhaps infamous but it would make a great place to wonder for laugh when killing time for a movie or a meal. A photographic record in an annual book of it would make a great social comment history resource.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#71 Post by omada » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:47 pm

From the article in previous post: Steve Maras, of property owner the Maras Group, approved the mural because of its quality and Everfresh’s global reputation.

``It has a vibrancy that we’re lacking in this city,’’ Mr Maras said.
Opinions are finally changing about street art, it's good to see this comment from the mainstream - a property developer no doubt!

I would love to see more spray can and stencil art out there - it adds an edgy quality - I can't help but think of the freshness it adds to Melbourne's urban environment.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:52 pm

Speaking of street art, has anyone seen the Commander Keen's popping up around the city. There is one near the vacant block on Morphett Street near the market side of Whitemore Square and there is also one near a laneway behind the Exeter. Kinda cool.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#73 Post by Wayno » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:24 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:Speaking of street art, has anyone seen the Commander Keen's popping up around the city. There is one near the vacant block on Morphett Street near the market side of Whitemore Square and there is also one near a laneway behind the Exeter. Kinda cool.
What's a Commander Keen?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#74 Post by Shuz » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:50 pm

You did not just say that. :shock:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#75 Post by Wayno » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:33 pm

Shuz wrote:You did not just say that. :shock:
didn't I? must have been someone else using my laptop. So let's pretend i don't know what a Commander Keen is, just for the sake of argument. What would be your theoretical reply?