CAN: [Glenelg] Latitude | 42m | 12lvls | Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

CAN: [Glenelg] Latitude | 42m | 12lvls | Residential

#1 Post by Pikey » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:59 am

Since the other thread went bye bye - here's a new one!

I had not even heard of these proposals until just now. How awesome is the twin tower propsal! Definately the most striking resi proposal SA has had, in my opinion!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2 Post by Howie » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:09 am

Hope you don't mind, i've added the render for it.

Sens-bloody-sational apartment development... the most exciting development i've seen in a long time now.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

Lets get conversation going shall we?

#3 Post by aussie2000 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:27 pm

I'm really excited about this, but is it just me or is everyone one else not as excited as usual when something like this comes up. I mean i've been to all the fourms and no body is talking about it. It's all i can think about

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Howie » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:33 pm

dunno about not being excited.. we lost a bunch of threads yesterday/last night due to the server upgrade... and the feeling was that everyone was getting a woody over this project.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by aussie2000 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:48 pm

oh thats explains it, what time and day was the first anyone heard of it i, i got an email from from the website, which i think everybody got and it said something about some twin towers in adelaide so i thought i would see what they were talking about and here i am

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Pants » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:25 am

I really should be loving this project, but I can't bring myself to get that excitied.

I think it's a bit tacky and won't fit in with its surroundings that well at all. Would be better in the city.

I'm sure I'll get over it and grow to love it, but normally I'd need a lay down after something like this breaks and this is just not doing it for me atm.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by AG » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:41 am

Yeah, I never really get that excited about seeing new developments. I think it is good but one render really isn't enough to show what this project is really about. Don't get me wrong, I think such development is great, but we shouldn't get overly excited about it, it's just... another development.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by Algernon » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:35 pm

Latitude is in the area designated "policy area 4" by the holdfast bay development plan, and has a prescribed height limit of 12 levels. It appears to meet the requirements of the plan, so it can be approved (and if council doesn't approve it, can easily be turned over by the ERD Court).

The Twin Towers are in the area designated "policy area 3" by the plan, and has a prescribed height limit of 5 levels. This does not mean the towers can't be approved. What it means is if it does get built, there will have been a long period of significant blah involving the developer, council, a shitload of lawyers, and possibly the state government. Ammendments would need to be made to the development plan for this project to proceed.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Will » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:19 pm

Now that my initial excitiement about the proposal has calmed down, I am concerned about the possibilities of these projects ever being built.

Last year Urban Construct lost a court case with the Holdfast Bay council in regard to Latitude. And since then the council has heritgae listed the property that is meant to be demolished for Latitude to proceed.

As with the Twin Towers proposal, I have an article from the Messenger newspaper from 2003, which claimed "that rumours are rife around the bay of another 12 level tower, proposed for the Watermark site' the article calms down its readers by mentioning that this section of Glenelg only has a 5 level limit and any 12 level tower would never be approved by the council. Glenelg still has the same council, and now that the proposal is 17 levels, 12 more than the limit, the only manner I can see this proposal ever becoming reality is if it is declared a major project by the State govenrment.

Nevertheless both projects but in particular the twin towers are very stylish and would have a positive impact to Glenelg, making it a better place.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Will » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:34 pm

I was having a read of the Messenger and they had an article about the history of the Latitude site.

The property in question was sold to Urban Construct in 2004 by the Elderly Citizens Homes. In 2004 Urban Construct submitted a proposal to the Holdfast Bay council to demolish the 1870's era townhouse, however the council refused the application, and subsequently heritage listed the property. Urban Construct appealed the outcome to the ERD court, however the court ruled in favour of the Holdfast Bay council. Urban Construct appealed the decision to the supreme court.

The Supreme Court's ruling is expected in February. The Messenger reports that it seems Urban Construct will win the case.

I'll keep you guys updated with the outcome of the court case.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Will » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:09 pm

Bad news gentlemen. The final nail in the Latitude coffin was nailed last week when the Supreme Court ruled in favour of the Holdfast Shores council by handing down a descion that saves a 'historic' 1870's house that had to be demolished to build Latitude. The supreme court in its descision ruled that Latitude would change the character of Glenelg and College Street.

The Holdfast Shores council welcomed this descision, and in the Messenger there is a picture of old people rejoicing outside the site.

It seems that Liberty Towers will be the last high-rise ever built in Glenelg.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Howie » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:13 pm

Bummer :( Nimbys 1 - Developers 0.

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by Adelarch » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:27 pm

until the oldies die...c'mon, hurry up
...bunch of w*nkers

[disclaimer: I love my grandma :)]

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Al » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:19 pm

Any news on what's happening with the Twin Towers here? Is that dead too?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by AtD » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Al wrote:Any news on what's happening with the Twin Towers here? Is that dead too?
I would expect the worst. Hodfast Bay council has clearly stated their position on anything over a few stories.