Official Food Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Official Food Thread

#1 Post by Wayno » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:50 pm

I thought it would be fun to have a food related thread. Give and ask for advice about where to go in Adelaide to find the best chinese, thai, indian, sri lankan, french, etc food.

For starters - where can i get a really good Malaysian Laksa? i looove them, and overdose when i go to Singapore/Malaysia, but am yet to find a truly traditional laksa in SA :-(
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Hoops
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Food Thread

#2 Post by Hoops » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:05 pm

I'd like to pose a question too,

"Where is the best Mexican food Obtained from in particular Nachos and burritos ?"(Preferably takeaway)

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Omicron » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:25 pm

Pshaw! I see no food in here! What a disappointment.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by jk1237 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Vietnamese Star City on the western end of Gouger St is yum yum.

I thought they did an alright laksa at Chinatown cafe in Moonta St mall.

Answer for Hoops - Burp burritos in Hindley St

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Will » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:00 pm

Wayno wrote:I

For starters - where can i get a really good Malaysian Laksa? i looove them, and overdose when i go to Singapore/Malaysia, but am yet to find a truly traditional laksa in SA :-(
Kopitim at 168 Gouger Street (western section of Gouger Street).

I love a good laksa, and since trying the one at Kopitim I have never gone anywhere else. Furthermore at $8 for lunch, it is a real bargain! The place is owned by a Malaysian family, so it is traditional.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by Düsseldorfer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:07 am

hmm i can never find anywhere that does good German food, and the Deutsch-club isn't very good, its like more typical than Hofbrauhaus :P

The only place that is good that i kno of is Hahndorf and thats all Bavarian, and Hahndorf is a bit far away cause i don't drive....much. Not a good idea to drive after drinking that much beer :P

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Wayno » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:14 am

Will wrote: Kopitim at 168 Gouger Street (western section of Gouger Street).

I love a good laksa, and since trying the one at Kopitim I have never gone anywhere else. Furthermore at $8 for lunch, it is a real bargain! The place is owned by a Malaysian family, so it is traditional.
i'll give it a go when i'm back in town (2 weeks time). i'll also try Chinatown cafe in Moonta St mall (thanks jk1237)...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jlimty
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by jlimty » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:50 am

Wayno wrote: For starters - where can i get a really good Malaysian Laksa? i looove them, and overdose when i go to Singapore/Malaysia, but am yet to find a truly traditional laksa in SA :-(
Try Madam Wu's on The Parade in Norwood. The Penang Hawker at the Renaissance Arcade isn't too bad either (although I think they used to be better :cry:)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:02 am

Düsseldorfer wrote:hmm i can never find anywhere that does good German food, and the Deutsch-club isn't very good, its like more typical than Hofbrauhaus :P

The only place that is good that i kno of is Hahndorf and thats all Bavarian, and Hahndorf is a bit far away cause i don't drive....much. Not a good idea to drive after drinking that much beer :P
Gawler Train + 864 = :D

Me and the rents have done it a few times, but we don't go all that often because it's so expensive.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Shuz » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:24 am

Hoops wrote:I'd like to pose a question too,

"Where is the best Mexican food Obtained from in particular Nachos and burritos ?"(Preferably takeaway)
Definitely not at Montezuma's. That place is so crap I'm surprised people keep going there. Idiocracy in the making?
I've yet to find a good Mexican place too.

canopy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by canopy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:19 pm

my wife can cook better than most of the asian food we had since we arrive. It a joke when i had a sweet and sour pork in most of the food court, taste yucks. Charlie Chan food is a joke to me too, had it 1 time and that it, never go again. I am from Malaysia, and i am very particular with the taste of the food. I will try out the kopitiam, always pass by but never go inside.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Will409 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:28 pm

Unsophisticated suburb, unsophisticated tastes coming up.

You can get some first class chips down at the Dolphin Pod cafe down in Port Adelaide, just a stone's throw away from the Fisherman's wharf market. Cooked just right and actually taste like they are made from proper potatoes. For a no go for chips though, the Elizabeth Park fish and chips. I had some last week from there and I nearly wanted to take up a long term lease on the a near by toilet! They tasted like they had been swimming in fat and and had a texture like a deep fried mars bar, in other words completely melted in your mouth. Fine for a deep fried mars bar, not so good for chips! Incase you are wondering, I had a deep fried mars bar done at the Elizabeth Vale shop a little over a year ago and even then, only because one of the people who works there is a good mate of mine and thought it would be a bit of a joke!

For good pizza (and I mean really good pizza), the Cooper Pedy Pizza Shop is THE place to go and they make a ripper coffee as well. I havn't been there for a few years now (any surprise?) but they are really good. If you want extremely bad pizza, the Serviceton pizza shop is completely aweful, maybe because it is in Victoria. Never the less, I needed a bucket all the way home in the back of the car!

Back to sophisticated tastes now!
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#13 Post by Cruise » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:08 pm

Will409 wrote: Back to sophisticated tastes now!
Hungry Jacks?

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by rogue » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Here's my list of favourites...

Pizza - Saints Pizza, Grange (The best in Adelaide!!!)
Italian - La Trattoria, City (More for the traditional ambience than the food)
Chinese - Semaphore Palace, Semaphore
Thai - Star of Siam, City (The fried ice cream for dessert is delicious)
Ripper Steaks - Argentinian Bar & Grill
Seafood - See above, but still looking for broader seafood menu somewhere...
Modern Aussie - Red Ochre / Cafe Lago

Will409
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Will409 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:25 pm

Cruise wrote:
Will409 wrote: Back to sophisticated tastes now!
Hungry Jacks?
Nothing that has ever come from America can be considered sophisticated. All Americans are genetically programmed to have no sense of taste.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.