COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: #Completed : Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade

#1996 Post by Cruise » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:55 pm

far less than that, i think they get about $19 an hour

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1997 Post by jk1237 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:35 pm

Cruise wrote:
Under the union's claim, the drivers' average weekly wage would increase from $810 to $937 at the end of the agreement.
Is that for a regular 38 hour week?

If so, how does one apply for such a job?
Geez, I wanna apply too. Thats good money. Um, why do they have conductors on the shuttle tram anyway. Its free, theres no need to sell tickets :roll:

Give them whatever they want govt. Because especially on weekends, the western end of Rundle Mall, and King William St seems to have had a 3x increase in foot traffic since the extension.
Ive worked every 3rd Saturday in town for past 5 years, and quite frankly, the western end of Rundle Mall/K W St during Sat arvo was such a dull, depressing, soul destroying part of the city. However in the last 6 months Ive noticed 10 times the amount of people around, with always 50+ people waiting for the tram. I even walked down James place yesterday arvo to get a coffee. Usually its dead but there was a constant stream of people, even in the rain.

What a happy, bustling little city we've become in the last few months, considering its winter too. Ive also never felt so safe too, all the aggresive ferals are non-existent nowadays :D :D

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1998 Post by AtD » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:56 pm

Why should tram drivers be paid more than bus drivers? They don't even have to speak to passengers.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1999 Post by monotonehell » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:00 pm

jk1237 wrote:...Um, why do they have conductors on the shuttle tram anyway. Its free, theres no need to sell tickets :roll:
When I've caught the tram to and from Glenelg the conductors have always packed up and disappeared into the cabin well before the last "pay stop", they don't do any ticket selling for the free parts. But I can see their point regarding the wheelchair ramps.

I support their claim in theory, but if they get compensation for driving through the city, then the bus drivers should also get paid the same as they drive through the city traffic all the time. Plus the bus drivers need to steer.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2000 Post by Omicron » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:53 pm

monotonehell wrote:
jk1237 wrote:...Um, why do they have conductors on the shuttle tram anyway. Its free, theres no need to sell tickets :roll:
When I've caught the tram to and from Glenelg the conductors have always packed up and disappeared into the cabin well before the last "pay stop", they don't do any ticket selling for the free parts. But I can see their point regarding the wheelchair ramps.

I support their claim in theory, but if they get compensation for driving through the city, then the bus drivers should also get paid the same as they drive through the city traffic all the time. Plus the bus drivers need to steer.
Every now and then the conductors will be out in force right up until Jetty Rd - paying $4.20 to go from Glengowrie to Brighton Rd. isn't particularly enjoyable. Of course, all those times I haven't paid for that journey probably cancels out the odd pricey fare.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2001 Post by SRW » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:04 pm

I don't see why they should be paid more than Melbourne tram drivers, which is what the union seems to be aiming for. Although compensation/reward for increased productivity seems fair enough, the claim for city driving "stress" or what amounts to danger pay is a little pathetic.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#2002 Post by Shuz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:45 am

I think they should introduce a 'free ticket' for the two-stop-hop, meaning that you validate it to record your trip - but the conductors would still be in force to make you pay up the full fare or to remove you off the tram if you abuse the privilege of going further?

I don't know if theres much point to the system - but knowing the conductors like they do - they have eyes of a hawk and will literally hunt you down the minute you walk on the tram, making sure you pay the fare. The only exception when they don't is in peak hour, for they can't do shit to move through the masses aboard.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2003 Post by SRW » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:59 am

Shuz wrote:I think they should introduce a 'free ticket' for the two-stop-hop, meaning that you validate it to record your trip - but the conductors would still be in force to make you pay up the full fare or to remove you off the tram if you abuse the privilege of going further?

I don't know if theres much point to the system - but knowing the conductors like they do - they have eyes of a hawk and will literally hunt you down the minute you walk on the tram, making sure you pay the fare. The only exception when they don't is in peak hour, for they can't do shit to move through the masses aboard.
I think we'll have to wait for the new ticketing system for something like that to be possible.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2004 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:46 pm

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2005 Post by monotonehell » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:17 pm

Tramfan - sounds like an asian snack food.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2006 Post by jk1237 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:22 pm

well well well, how the wheel turns. While riding through town I noticed a tram with a new (AOA) advertisement all in red. It was The Advertiser, who are now sponsoring 1 of out trams. I almost fell off my bike. So we now have The Advertiser tram. Crikeys I still remember their anti-tram view on the tramline extension only a year ago now. :lol: :lol:

PhilH
Gold-Member ;)

#2007 Post by PhilH » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:46 pm

More silliness from the Libs - one of them wants safety barriers at the tram stops so that pedestrians don't get run over. For once, the readers comments are overwhelmingly sensible (in contrast to the poll result, which has 58% agreeing with the pollie!)

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2008 Post by Omicron » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:38 am

PhilH wrote:More silliness from the Libs - one of them wants safety barriers at the tram stops so that pedestrians don't get run over. For once, the readers comments are overwhelmingly sensible (in contrast to the poll result, which has 58% agreeing with the pollie!)

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
I shall endeavour to push such people in front of the trams. My cynicism does not allow for concern for imbeciles skipping about in front of moving objects, or strolling slowly in front of trams because their iPods inhibit basic awareness of their surroundings.

In short - look left and right, you twats, and shame upon any government that seeks to safeguard people of such limited intelligence.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2009 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:10 am

A new fact sheet has come out regarding the bike overpass.

http://203.147.248.196/alt-host/assets/ ... t_2008.pdf

Will409
Legendary Member!

#2010 Post by Will409 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:27 am

One odd note that I found in their is that temporary tramway package will be provided around the site with one line down Norman Tce and the other down Glengyle Tce. May make for some interesting photos.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.