News & Discussion: Low/Mid-Rise CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#16 Post by Pikey » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:22 am

Consider the thread - stickyfied!!

A bit of a change for the 'tiser, quite a decent article!

notice the trend - glass baby!!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

petermaloney
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by petermaloney » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:33 pm

Thank you Pants

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Pants » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:37 pm

No problem mate. It's not the best building in the world, but it'll do.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Al » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:12 pm

Yup. Definitely reckon the quality of the designs in Adelaide is up. Really like the use of glass.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by Al » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:13 pm

If the "Conservatory on Hindmarsh" gets a go-ahead, that'll be another glass tower!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by Howie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:11 pm

Will the name "Light Square Tower" remain? I personally hope not.

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by Thunderstruck » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:58 am

Yep sure will Al!!! very exciting times indeed!

Must say tho, as other have mentioned, Santos looks a fair bit skew in that image. Still, building itself is a right beauty! :D
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Pants » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:01 pm

Did anyone see the article about the red lighting to the ground floor of the Origin Energy (ex AMP) Building on the corner of King William and North Terrace?

Not sure if it's the right building style of to do it to, but the lighting itself should look fantastic and provide something different for a pretty landmark spot.

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by Thunderstruck » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:50 am

Yep saw that, certainly caught my attention. Be great to have something like that lighting up what I'd say is the main corner/intersection of Adelaide. Mmmmm red :)
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Al » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:25 am

A few months ago I saw red lighting on the base of the Hyatt Hotel and I thought it was quite nice. It looks like it changed back to yellow again though. I got a few photos of it with red lighting so I might post it if anyone's interested.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by AG » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:54 pm

The Criterion Hotel closed on Saturday. It should be demolished before the end of the year before construction on the micro brewery complex next to Electra House commences.

shuzstar
Banned
Banned

#27 Post by shuzstar » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:43 pm

i really like the glass era adelaide has entered upon with our buildings. it wll certainly come as a major takeoverto the existing majority of the number of sandstone and concrete towers there are in adelaide atm.
- Sensational Glenelg - The City By The Beach.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Pants » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:17 am

Domain:

Grote Street Student Accomodation:

Uni SA - City West:

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#29 Post by Algernon » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:26 am

I thought the Grote Street Accommo was going to be 8 levels? Ah well. The use of the brick facade on the street scale is giving the building a bit of a garden east feel to it, which would be complete if a) the top half had a creamy colour and b) nobody was ever walking around its base, ever.

I've commented on the Unisa building, affectionately refered to as "The K Building" because nobody can pronounce it :lol: The K building and the Advertiser building are raising bars in Adelaide in terms of architectural design standards, so let's hope there's enough sufficiently proud architects around with ego's big enough to out do these guys.

The most important thing with the K building is it shows you don't have to do much in a building's design to break up the monotony of the colonial grid. You're still building on a rectangle but it isn't a death warrant for creativity in design, just another challenge.

Domain is profit maximising crap but it's a great location, i'll probably live in it.

*edit* and I can't wait for the concrete on the K building to get that gritty, dirty, i've been rained on for years look! That'll help it blend into the street more, instead of the current new lump oc concrete look it's got going at the moment.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Will » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:30 pm

I also concur with everyone's opinions. The quality of Adelaide's recent developments is really high, and hopefully as taller development adopt the glass look, the skyline will finally not be dominated by brown brutalist structures.

Glass structures also make a city's skyline appear more modern; something Adelaide desperately needs.