[COM] SA Water | 56m | 11lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: #COM: SA Water | 56m | 12lvls | Office

#571 Post by ynotsfables » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:42 pm

Awesome looking building it compliments the law courts beautifully, my only critisism is it should have been twice the height.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#572 Post by monotonehell » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:09 pm

Queen Anne wrote:
monotonehell wrote:I think perhaps you should reserve judgement until you see it in person....

Anyway, I've ranted enough. I'm going to try to wait and see how things turn out, ultimately. Hopefully, the end result will be an improvement on current indications.
Queenie, I take back some of what I said.

I was down that way today and walked past. Last time I inspected the site they hadn't finalised the glazing. Now that they have I can see that what I thought were to be doors into the northern end's tenancy are all flat glass walls. The entrance is alongside the Northern foyer's security doors. So the entire western face is just glass at the pedestrian level. Not the best thing for it. Hopefully it becomes a cafe and they utilise the space outside. Or something....!

All is not lost though! There was a professional photo shoot going on inside that zigzag area under the building. ... that's some kind of ... something...
ynotsfables wrote:Awesome looking building it compliments the law courts beautifully, my only critisism is it should have been twice the height.
Are you willing to occupy those extra 12 levels and pay the lease? If you are perhaps you should get the project managers to tack them on top. ;) like I've said before. If you want taller buildings you need to find the tenants to pay for the extra floorspace.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#573 Post by ynotsfables » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:33 pm

If the building is attractive enough i believe the tennants will come. However our conservative attitude in this city won't allow us to take those sort of chances though its just so un Adelaide. :wink:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#574 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:09 am

ynotsfables wrote:If the building is attractive enough i believe the tennants will come. However our conservative attitude in this city won't allow us to take those sort of chances though its just so un Adelaide. :wink:
"Built it and they will come" isn't a normal business practice. Most buildings have pre-signed lease arrangements with their tenants before site prep goes ahead. Not many investors will pony up with out an actual return in sight.

That attitude isn't just in Adelaide, it's standard business practice.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#575 Post by ynotsfables » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:17 pm

Thats exactly right standard business practice.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#576 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:28 pm

ynotsfables wrote:Thats exactly right standard business practice.
It's their money -- they can be as conservative with it as they want. They're understandably shy from the lesson learnt from '90s where half of Adelaide's office space was empty for years after the early '90's construction boom. No one wants to flood the market and get low returns.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#577 Post by ynotsfables » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:04 pm

monotonehell wrote:
ynotsfables wrote:Thats exactly right standard business practice.
It's their money -- they can be as conservative with it as they want. They're understandably shy from the lesson learnt from '90s where half of Adelaide's office space was empty for years after the early '90's construction boom. No one wants to flood the market and get low returns.
You are right, however the early nineties boom was cursed by our then state bank colapse. WA inc colapsed at the same time and if i remeber right the Victorian State bank did too. All this happened during "The recession we had to have".
The other two states recovered faster, and we lagged behind.
My point is we may be in a better situation today to take risks that could benefit us in the long run. After all the vacant office space of the nineties no longer exists meaning that eventually there will be a demand. Our boom today i believe is proof of that, companies will be looking for office space in our cbd in the not too distant future. Now could be the time.

loud
High Rise Poster!

#578 Post by loud » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:25 pm

Even if a group wanted to take the risk and develop speculatively, they would not be able to get the funding to carry out the job.

I am aware of the sale of several investment properties here and interstate that have fallen through due to purchaser's not being able to secure finance.

Just to reiterate how tight credit is at the moment, I am talking about quality, tenanted buildings that aren't selling because no-one can get finance. Let alone someone wanting to improve a patch of dirt without a tenant in sight.

Until the banks get things straightened out, we wont be seeing much development activity... here or interstate...

bender222
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#579 Post by bender222 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:00 pm

I had a good look at this building today and I've got to say it looks hideous. I'm usually all for new development here in Adelaide, but this thing is terrible.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#580 Post by jk1237 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:54 pm

bender222 wrote:I had a good look at this building today and I've got to say it looks hideous. I'm usually all for new development here in Adelaide, but this thing is terrible.
Oh my god :roll:

You are certainly entitled to an opinion, but is there is any reasoning to your dislikening, or why you have focused on this rather than some other developments that have caused debate like Coglin St, Spark apartments, or some of the little horrid office blocks of the 1970s or 80s that are all over Adelaide. Maybe we should recreate some of these 70s and 80s office towers as new developments so they dont create such a stir in Adelaide.

Architecture is subjective and the more daring, the more controversy and interest. I like this building. We all have different tastes in music, clothing, or whatever, but that doesnt mean I think your taste in music, clothing or architecture is hideous or terrible, just because I dont love it.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#581 Post by skyliner » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:28 am

ynotsfables wrote:Awesome looking building it compliments the law courts beautifully, my only critisism is it should have been twice the height.
Mt thoughts exactly. Great design but VSQ needs the highest buildings IMO, but shadows are an issue as well as artificial microclimates. 20 level plus buildings may be less pedestrian/activity friendly in the square. (Methinks shades of the 'pyramid' approach here of the 1975 City Of Adelaide Plan - IMO far too contrived as a concept overall).

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#582 Post by SRW » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:48 pm

skyliner wrote:
Mt thoughts exactly. Great design but VSQ needs the highest buildings IMO, but shadows are an issue as well as artificial microclimates. 20 level plus buildings may be less pedestrian/activity friendly in the square. (Methinks shades of the 'pyramid' approach here of the 1975 City Of Adelaide Plan - IMO far too contrived as a concept overall).

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
I'd rather lower buildings on the Square and stepping out higher behind.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#583 Post by ynotsfables » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:22 pm

That would look good too. Victoria Square needs a good backdrop all the way around to add more dimension and atmosphere, and give it more of an inner city hub feel about it.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#584 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:26 am

I'm personally not a fan of it- that blue thing stuck to the front I really don't like. BUT with that said, I would prefer that there be bold architecture and have me not like a few than have every building be unexceptional.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#585 Post by baytram366 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:08 am

I have just been told a cafe is soon to be opened in this building called Funk Cafe - we have one at work run by the same owner and they do a fantastic job. Not sure when its opening though but I am sure they will have chairs and tables outside for the public...
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections