Victor Harbor | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Prince George
Legendary Member!

Re: Makris Encounter Bay dev't

#91 Post by Prince George » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:07 am

The public comment period ended on Jan 22. I got my timing mixed up and had to rush, but did manage to send in a submission (which I trust arrived on time, must be more organised in the future ...).
Submission on the Encounter Bay Village Centre.pdf
(143.15 KiB) Downloaded 487 times

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#92 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:21 am

good work Prince! love the submission...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#93 Post by Shuz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:38 am

Loved the submission. You addressed all of the key issues with great detail, yet keeping it concise. Good effort, Your Highness.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#94 Post by skyliner » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:50 pm

I agree with what I see as Prince's main point - such developments 'gut' the old linear (main st style) shopping centres and make things far more expensive for business operators (If they survive) because they end up in these malls at huge rents.

Many main sts have been virtually destroyed in Australia - Eg. Mt Gambier's very well developed and active 1 km long centre (one of the longest provincial business centres in the country) has large numbers of vacant shops due to these oversized developments. Ipswich (pop.136000) in QLD is almost totally destroyed with a ghost town of a centre. The people of Maleny (sunshine coast) saw the writing on the wall and though the big centre was built, VERY FEW use it! The community bound together and on principle, they avoided it like the plague - in the end the local businesses will survive - and in the main st. Perhaps this is a suggestion for Victor.

I hope this is completely revised so as to be in sympathy with the current business centre.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Kuitpo64
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #Proposed: Hotel Crown R/D (9 levels) | Victor Harbor

#95 Post by Kuitpo64 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:58 am

I just hope they don't build another hideous view killer like they have next to the Whale centre. If you wanted to draw a picture of what not to build in Victor Harbor just copy that cement monstrosity !

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#96 Post by Briggzy_03 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Crown Hotel backers devastated by snub

SARAH MARTIN

September 24, 2009 12:01am

THE $100million redevelopment of the Crown Hotel in Victor Harbor has been rejected by the council's development panel.

Developers say the nine-storey development on the site of the Crown Hotel on Ocean Tce would have injected an additional $20million a year into the local economy.

But the City of Victor Harbor's Development Assessment Panel rejected the proposal on Tuesday night because of its "bulk and scale".

The development, which was put forward by The Crown publican Andrew Gunn and joint venture partner Urban Construct, featured a sports bar, cafe, alfresco dining area, retail outlets, a convention centre and 186 4 1/2-star hotel suites.

Mr Gunn said the town was crying out for quality accommodation, and he was "devastated" by the DAP's decision.

"It would have had an enormous benefit to the town," he said. "I have seen a good deal of the hospitality venues close their doors or go bankrupt ... because there are no decent facilities down here."

The joint venture estimates the venue would have attracted more than 60,000 extra visitors a year to the town.

Urban Construct chief executive Todd Brown said he was disappointed the application could not be negotiated.

"It is an absolute joke. We have got the private sector prepared to invest $100million into a regional centre where getting developments up is incredibly difficult, and we have got an approving authority that is not prepared to sit down and negotiate an outcome," he said.

Victor Harbor city manager Graeme Maxwell said the proposal had breached height and setback regulations.

Crown Hotel duty manager Tony Mustaca yesterday said: "We are really not happy about this."

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#97 Post by Shuz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:40 am

facepalms

Wow, the short-sightedness of some people really bloody piss me off.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#98 Post by ozisnowman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:12 pm

What about the State Government granting the Hotel Crown proposal Major Project Status. Would help with jobs, tourism etc.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#99 Post by Will » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:26 pm

But SA is a developer's dream....

We need council amalgamations NOW!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#100 Post by Wayno » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:30 pm

the proposal had breached height and setback regulations.
Developers seem to regularly 'misinterpret' setback regulations (purely by accident of course :roll:). I can understand why the council rejected if the building looms large directly above the footpath.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Omicron

#101 Post by Omicron » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:18 am

Wayno wrote:
Developers seem to regularly 'misinterpret' setback regulations (purely by accident of course :roll:). I can understand why the council rejected if the building looms large directly above the footpath.
From the (admittedly small) picture both here and in the newspaper, it doesn't really appear to be set back at all.

skyliner

#102 Post by skyliner » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:15 pm

Omicron wrote:
Wayno wrote:
From the (admittedly small) picture both here and in the newspaper, it doesn't really appear to be set back at all.
just think - like the original hotel - no difference - so what's the point? (or is this inadmissable evidence).

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#103 Post by ozisnowman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:38 pm

A NEW eight-storey $80 million hotel on the historic Crown Hotel site in Victor Harbor is expected to boost tourism in the area.
Tourism Minister John Rau said the Gunn Group of Companies, who own the Crown Hotel, have received approval from the local council to expand the site to encompass a 4.5 star hotel.

It will include consisting of 160 rooms, retail shops, restaurant and bar facilities, plus extensive conferencing facilities.

Mr Rau said South Australia's appeal as a tourism destination is dependent on the development of new tourism products and experiences.

"We've identified further development of upmarket accommodation and attractions as essential to help us lure more high-yielding visitors from our target domestic and international markets," he said.

"The redevelopment will greatly add to the region's accommodation capacity and provide further quality tourism infrastructure in the region, providing tourists the opportunity to stay in luxury while enjoying some of Australia's best wine and coastal experiences."
Looks like this is back on and APPROVED.
107181-new-crown-hotel.jpg
Image Of New Crown Hotel
107181-new-crown-hotel.jpg (35.59 KiB) Viewed 12737 times

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#104 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Looks better than the previous proposal.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#105 Post by Will » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:21 am

A few more images: