News & Developments: Glenelg

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#31 Post by AG » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:49 pm

It's usually far busier in summer than it is in winter, crawf.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by crawf » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:39 pm

Will wrote:
crawf wrote:I dont know if holdfast shores was a success or not. because every time ive been down there, its dead.

also the beachhouse is pretty pathetic, especially their website.
You are going at the wrong times...
So what if i am, for a place to be successful, the shops and cafes should be opened up everyday filled with people, not all closed up.
AtD wrote:Because we all know the website is the most important part of a development.
this is some of what they wrote on their "World Class" website
- The worlds most exciting play castle
- The worlds best dodgem cars & bumper boats
- The most challenging mini-golf in Australia

If you have been to this "world-class" attraction, you would know all of that stuff is a load of bullshit.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by AG » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:40 pm

I do agree that the Beachouse is far worse than originally was expected. The rides and amusements are no better than the ones they replaced, plus the ferris wheel still has not been erected. I still think that Holdfast Shores has been mostly successful in anchoring down Glenelg's position as a tourist destination though.

I think websites for any project are very important. If it's not well presented, it doesn't present a good image for the product the developers are trying to sell. Just take a look at the Government websites for transport projects for example (eg. Transport SA), completely out of date and uninformative. The public transport websites like TransAdelaide are no better. As soon as you look at something like the NSW's Governments website for rail projects (TIDC: http://www.tidc.nsw.gov.au/), it's up to date, informative and puts any SA Government website to shame.

Anyway, back to topic.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by Will » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:42 pm

Crawf, for reasons which I hope you are aware, in winter even though the restauants and shops open at the marina, they will not be overflowing with people, because in winter sitting next to howling winds, cold gusts and looking out at a ferocious ocean are not attractive prospects for people wanting a place to go out. And also the shops and restaurants open at normal times. If you decide to visit at 2:00 am or somehing, naturally you will not find many people. Try visiting this weekend, it should be packed.

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

Is it the end of major development at Glenelg ???

#35 Post by gregrogers257 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:20 pm

Is this the end ??

Now Holdfast Shores is complete, there doesn't seem to be any major developments happening down at glenelg. Moseley square is just about finished and looks great........but whats next ?

From my research there's an oversupply of apartments in glenelg and there won't be any more big apartment developments going up.

I've noticed that there's a lot of apartments for sale in glenelg and further more there's a big vacant block of land just to the eastern side of the patawalonga not far from the bridge. This land has been vacant for a long time now (at least 1 year). If there was a good demand for apartments in glenelg than there would be a development happening on this block by now.

Sadly I think there wont be any major developments down at the bay for a long time :(

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by Howie » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:17 am

There's Bay Junction shopping center on Jetty Road. That'll be a biggie.
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... .php?t=517

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#37 Post by rogue » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:48 am

Check out http://www.urbanconstruct.com.au/ and click on projects, then future projects and check out the Proposed Twin Tower Scheme for the Watermark Hotel site.

Sorry, but unable to link directly as the site uses Active X controls.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#38 Post by Howie » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:18 am

It's not clear if they're going ahead with the watermark project.

It'll probably be rejected if it ever gets presented to the holdfast shores development assessment panel, something about violating height restrictions.

l3etelgeuse
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#39 Post by l3etelgeuse » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:24 pm

Will wrote:Those that criticise the development have an incorrect and nostalgic, fanciful view of what Glenelg used to be. However in fact they are wrong; before Holdfast Shores Glenelg was slow and many of the shops along Jetty Road were vacant. Where the marina is now there used to be a car-park which the nostalgics claim was a family fun park, but in reality it was a car-park where bogans would do burn-outs and drink beer. Holdfast Shores has had a massive positive impact for Glenelg. It has increased property values, it has added a new tourist assett to the state, it has also stimulated other improvements and modernisations across Glenelg. Although the development could have been better, for example the Colley Street facade of the Pier hotel is bland, Platinum should have been 15 stories and the shops fronting Jetty Road should have been 5 levels high and included a cinema, the development is still a positive move to Glenelg. One which future generations will acclaim as visionary.
I agree completely. I think South Australia as a whole needs to get a much more progressive attitude.

As for the Beach House, the big wheel still not up? If so why not? That's a disappointment. When I was there in July there was a big hole dug in the ground waiting for it. That can't look too good. Although pricey, I thought the Beach House was pretty good. Deffinately an astronomical improvement on the heap of shit that used to sit there.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Is it the end of major development at Glenelg ???

#40 Post by Will » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:47 pm

gregrogers257 wrote:Is this the end ??

Now Holdfast Shores is complete, there doesn't seem to be any major developments happening down at glenelg. Moseley square is just about finished and looks great........but whats next ?

From my research there's an oversupply of apartments in glenelg and there won't be any more big apartment developments going up.

I've noticed that there's a lot of apartments for sale in glenelg and further more there's a big vacant block of land just to the eastern side of the patawalonga not far from the bridge. This land has been vacant for a long time now (at least 1 year). If there was a good demand for apartments in glenelg than there would be a development happening on this block by now.

Sadly I think there wont be any major developments down at the bay for a long time :(

Unfortunately Platinum will probably be the last 'high-rise' building built in Glenelg for the next generation. I say this because in the Messenger there was a profile for all the 10 candidates running for the Glenelg ward, and all of them are opposed to more 'high-rise', and two of them even suggested that they would ban all type of new development (even houses) in Glenelg because the 'character' of the region is under attack. The current council has some modern, progress-loving members, however with the council election later on this year, they will all be replaced by relics from the 1890's. And the race for the mayoralty has suffered a blow from our point of view with former Holdfast Bay mayor, Brian Nadilo (the man who helped Holdfast Shores come to fruition) deciding not to contest the poll. This leaves the incumbent Dr. Rollond, another anti-progress person and a candidate who wants to build a 20 storey call centre in Brighton and who has been in jail.
:cry:

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

#41 Post by gregrogers257 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:19 pm

rogue wrote:Check out http://www.urbanconstruct.com.au/ and click on projects, then future projects and check out the Proposed Twin Tower Scheme for the Watermark Hotel site.

Sorry, but unable to link directly as the site uses Active X controls.

Well I am still not convinced about future developments at glenelg.

Firstly the Bay junction development does not excite me. A few shops, some more car parks, some apartments (it's no Twin Towers). There's also no serious plans for this to go ahead yet.

In regard to the urban construct website.

I would give Twin towers about a 5 per cent chance of going ahead. I doubt that it will be approved by the council and I also dont believe there is enough demand for another 400 apartments in glenelg. It's a $300 million project - its too big and I can't see it happening. I've also never seen this advertised anywhere but on the internet which also makes me doubtful. (I've sent an email to urban construct asking what's going on - will be interesting to see their reply.)

I was also surprised that Latitude is still being advertised on the site. This project was cancelled a couple of months ago. The fact that it has not been removed makes me even more suspicious of how serious urban construct are about Twin towers !

Finally does anyone know what's going on with the Ferris wheel ???
I looked at the beachhouse website and found nothing. I also notice that there's nothing happening at the site........

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by Will » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:13 pm

In regard to the ferris wheel construction has not begun because of legal and council concerns. Although the council did allow the developers to encroach over 1sqm of public land, they until last week had not come to a decision as to the rates the owner of the Beachouse would have to pay for encroaching into public land. The council finally decided that rates of $15 000 per annum would be sufficient. Construction of the 25m ferris wheel should start soon, as the parts required to build it have arrived in the state.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by crawf » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:57 am

Will wrote:This leaves the incumbent Dr. Rollond, another anti-progress person and a candidate who wants to build a 20 storey call centre in Brighton and who has been in jail.
yeah?, never knew about this
Will wrote: Although the council did allow the developers to encroach over 1sqm of public land
that is so bloody pathetic, far out i wish the state government would get rid of holdfast bay and ACC.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by Mants » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:27 pm

crawf wrote:
Will wrote: Although the council did allow the developers to encroach over 1sqm of public land
that is so bloody pathetic, far out i wish the state government would get rid of holdfast bay and ACC.
umm... :?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by Will » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:48 pm

crawf wrote:
Will wrote:This leaves the incumbent Dr. Rollond, another anti-progress person and a candidate who wants to build a 20 storey call centre in Brighton and who has been in jail.
yeah?, never knew about this

Crawf, this is simply just the candidate's idea. He as a person does not have the finance to build such a building and I doubt it would be permitted anyway or be economically feasable. And this person does not have a realistic chance in winning the mayoralty, as the Messenger has pretty much made him out to be an 'un-balanced' person. I think Dr. Rollond will be re-elected.