14-12

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: 14-12

#16 Post by rev » Mon May 04, 2009 9:18 pm

aceman wrote:For any power supporters who claim they have been around since 1870 and won 35 premierships are full of shit. The Port magpies have been in the SANFL since 1870 and won 35 premierships. The Power joined the AFL in 1997 and have won 1 premiership. Power people need to realize that the SANFL and VFL/AFL are two different competitions with a vastly different level seperating the two.

Rev please don't confuse the port magpies winning premierships in the SANFL as a measure of success in the big league. Your not kidding anyone and least of all yourself :-)
Port Adelaide footy club has been around for 139 years. A simple name change doesn't change that.
Port Adelaide has won 35 premierships, and every single other trophy listed above. If you don't believe me, go to Alberton and see the trophies proudly on display for your self.

I think the thing that hurts Crows fans the most, is that their club doesn't have such a rich heritage of success. After all the Adelaide footy club was only created out of hatred for Port Adelaide and a distinct jealousy of it's success :mrgreen:

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by aceman » Mon May 04, 2009 9:53 pm

Rev, I'm not disputing how long the port footy club has been around for nor do I need to go to alberton to see the trophys in person. It also does not matter when port was awarded an AFL licence and what name they were called. The point I'm trying to make is that the Port footy club whether it's the magpies or Power has only won 1 AFL premiership. The 35 premierships won in the SANFL are not relevent as that is a lower grade seperate competition. Look through the times that port won all those premierships and you will see that the teams that they played were not collingwood, essendon or carlton, they were against sturt, norwood or centrals for example.

Also the Crows were formed before port because the league decided that a composite team was a better way for the state to enter the big league. Same thing happened in WA.

BTW one thing that the Crows will always have and port will not have is paid up financial members and a lot more of them as well. The only thing keeping port going at this stage is their past. As far as the future is concerned for port I'm not quite so sure.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Wayno » Mon May 04, 2009 10:29 pm

aceman wrote:BTW one thing that the Crows will always have and port will not have is paid up financial members and a lot more of them as well. The only thing keeping port going at this stage is their past. As far as the future is concerned for port I'm not quite so sure.
I would not brag about financial status and no. of followers. The Global Financial Crisis has shown these things are transient at best. Footy clubs are simply a brand just like many major corporations.

<by the way - i'm not a port or crows supporter, so i feel no bias either way>
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#19 Post by rev » Mon May 04, 2009 11:16 pm

aceman wrote:Rev, I'm not disputing how long the port footy club has been around for nor do I need to go to alberton to see the trophys in person. It also does not matter when port was awarded an AFL licence and what name they were called. The point I'm trying to make is that the Port footy club whether it's the magpies or Power has only won 1 AFL premiership. The 35 premierships won in the SANFL are not relevent as that is a lower grade seperate competition. Look through the times that port won all those premierships and you will see that the teams that they played were not collingwood, essendon or carlton, they were against sturt, norwood or centrals for example.

Also the Crows were formed before port because the league decided that a composite team was a better way for the state to enter the big league. Same thing happened in WA.

BTW one thing that the Crows will always have and port will not have is paid up financial members and a lot more of them as well. The only thing keeping port going at this stage is their past. As far as the future is concerned for port I'm not quite so sure.
The Crows were not formed before Port, Port is in its 139th year, the Crows are in their 19th year of existence.
That is not why the Crows were formed. Well, maybe that is the justification given, but we all know the truth.
What does it matter if those 34 premierships were against Norwood, Sturt etc, and not Collingwood, Carlton etc? The SANFL is regarded as the second competition to the AFL. There are even long term plans(don't know at what level/how far advanced they are) to turn the SANFL into a second tier national competition.
In short, SANFL > VFL.

If former VFL clubs are able to count their VFL premierships, as they do, then so can Port Adelaide.
It is not the fault of Port Adelaide that the Adelaide Crows have no history before being created and joining the AFL in 1990.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by Professor » Tue May 05, 2009 6:32 am

Go Port Adelaide!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by monotonehell » Tue May 05, 2009 10:53 am

*rows boat in*

Yep full of urine...

*rows back out*
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#22 Post by Shuz » Tue May 05, 2009 3:54 pm

jk1237 wrote:can you 2 answer this very simple question. Before the term power was even thought of, what SANFL club won the 2nd SA license to join the AFL?
No, but do tell me.

loud
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by loud » Tue May 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Ok, so the PAFC competing in the AFL has 139 years of football heritage, including the last 12 years in the AFL...

And the new PAMFC competing in the SANFL only has a heritage going back to 1997?

It seems that the PAFC (AFL) has obtained an AFL license and taken which bits they want (some players, coaching staff, training grounds, heritage, board, members, supporters etc...) and then given their scraps to the new PAMFC (SANFL).

That is pretty f**ked up...

Is there any ongoing relationship between the two clubs or do they just share clubrooms?

Why did the group pushing for an AFL license think it so important to carry this heritage into the AFL?

If the AFL is the premier competition and SANFL is the second tier competition, why is there a PA club in both leagues?

This set-up has to be one of the most bizarre things I have ever come across in sport... have any other teams around the nation done this?

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by Brando » Tue May 05, 2009 5:48 pm

Wayno wrote:
aceman wrote:BTW one thing that the Crows will always have and port will not have is paid up financial members and a lot more of them as well. The only thing keeping port going at this stage is their past. As far as the future is concerned for port I'm not quite so sure.
I would not brag about financial status and no. of followers. The Global Financial Crisis has shown these things are transient at best. Footy clubs are simply a brand just like many major corporations.

<by the way - i'm not a port or crows supporter, so i feel no bias either way>
Neither am i mate, Essendon all the way for me. Your right though, i heard Steven Trigg (Crows CEO) on the radio the other day saying that they have a $700,000 shortfall in sponorship this year due to companies tightening the belt.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by aceman » Tue May 05, 2009 5:53 pm

Rev, melbourne based teams can claim VFL premierships in their achievments because it's the same competition. It now has a new name along with new teams being added. The SANFL is a totally seperate competition. The Port magpies in the SANFL are a seperate entity to the power in the AFL. Otherwise port could enter a team in every footy league in the country and combine all premierships and claim them as AFL premierships.

Rev I also did not claim that the crows were formed before port magpies (i'm referring to the power franchise), I was simply stating that in 1990 all the relevent parties decided that the first AFL licence to be awarded in SA was to go to a composite team. Ports initial bid was thrown out in favour of a composite team which represented the entire SANFL and was contributed by all clubs.

As far as sponsorship is concerned the Crows partnership with Toyota is on the brink of becoming the longest sporting sponsorship in Australia. That's loyalty.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#26 Post by Cruise » Tue May 05, 2009 6:59 pm

aceman wrote:Rev, melbourne based teams can claim VFL premierships in their achievments because it's the same competition. It now has a new name along with new teams being added. The SANFL is a totally seperate competition. The Port magpies in the SANFL are a seperate entity to the power in the AFL. Otherwise port could enter a team in every footy league in the country and combine all premierships and claim them as AFL premierships.

Rev I also did not claim that the crows were formed before port magpies (i'm referring to the power franchise), I was simply stating that in 1990 all the relevent parties decided that the first AFL licence to be awarded in SA was to go to a composite team. Ports initial bid was thrown out in favour of a composite team which represented the entire SANFL and was contributed by all clubs.

As far as sponsorship is concerned the Crows partnership with Toyota is on the brink of becoming the longest sporting sponsorship in Australia. That's loyalty.
Back in the day all the state leagues were were semi professional competitions, it was only in 1990 when the AFL was formed a professional Australian rules football league was born. To say Port's premiership in 1977 against Glenelg is worthless yet Melbourne's premiership in 1900 against Fitzroy Is equal to the Crow's premiership in 1997 is complete bullshit.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by aceman » Tue May 05, 2009 7:12 pm

Mate you are seriously deluded if you think that back in the good old days all state leagues were anything considered equal. The VFL was always by far the strongest league in the country. Your kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#28 Post by Cruise » Tue May 05, 2009 7:19 pm

Watch an SANFL game from the 70's, then watch a VFL game from the 70's. Then tell me the VFL was oh so much better.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#29 Post by Omicron » Tue May 05, 2009 9:05 pm

monotonehell wrote:*rows boat in*

Yep full of urine...

*rows back out*
Would you care for some tea and scones?

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by jk1237 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:14 pm

Shuz wrote:
jk1237 wrote:can you 2 answer this very simple question. Before the term power was even thought of, what SANFL club won the 2nd SA license to join the AFL?
No, but do tell me.
ok, it was the Port Adelaide Football club.

We would have gone into the AFL with our nickname as the magpies and our prison bar guernsey but a certain club called Collingwood wouldnt allow it, so we have to develop a new nickname and colours