News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: #PRO: City Busway - O-Bahn to West Tce

#61 Post by Shuz » Wed May 13, 2009 12:57 pm

-facepalms-

I haaaaaaate the freakin' O-Bahn. The whole thing should just be a train line, not some antiquidated 1980's busway which very few cities have taken up on the concept of.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#62 Post by rhino » Wed May 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Your turn, Mono.
cheers,
Rhino

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#63 Post by Norman » Wed May 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Shuz wrote:-facepalms-

I haaaaaaate the freakin' O-Bahn. The whole thing should just be a train line, not some antiquidated 1980's busway which very few cities have taken up on the concept of.
Why do you hate it, you don't even use it or live that way.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#64 Post by peas_and_corn » Wed May 13, 2009 1:42 pm

The bus lanes will go down the middle of Grenfell/Currie? Does that mean they will lurch across the lanes to go to a stop? That'll be a bit difficult...

_MO_
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#65 Post by _MO_ » Wed May 13, 2009 2:25 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:The bus lanes will go down the middle of Grenfell/Currie? Does that mean they will lurch across the lanes to go to a stop? That'll be a bit difficult...
That's what my question was this morning... Unless they plan to locate the stops in the middle of the road, just like tram stops, I don't see how the free flow of traffic would happen. But to do that they will have to run buses in the opposite direction, which is sheer madness... I'm a bit confused here, guess will have to wait for the official map to be released. :?
My work is never finished.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#66 Post by peas_and_corn » Wed May 13, 2009 2:34 pm

_MO_ wrote:
peas_and_corn wrote:The bus lanes will go down the middle of Grenfell/Currie? Does that mean they will lurch across the lanes to go to a stop? That'll be a bit difficult...
That's what my question was this morning... Unless they plan to locate the stops in the middle of the road, just like tram stops, I don't see how the free flow of traffic would happen. But to do that they will have to run buses in the opposite direction, which is sheer madness... I'm a bit confused here, guess will have to wait for the official map to be released. :?
That was a possibility I considered, though that would mean some quite wide bus stop sections for people to stand- they will have to be on the left due to where the doors on the buses are, and there will need to be a *lot* of room due to the large number of people who wait for buses at peak time (as noted in Aidan's thread). This is possible of course since they will use the room currently used by the left-most 'bus stop lane' anyway, and most likely all of the parking space as well.

I know I keep meaning to wait for the details and not speculate but... well, I like doing it! :P

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#67 Post by Shuz » Wed May 13, 2009 2:50 pm

Norman wrote:

The O-Bahn effectively acts as a fourth mode of PT, after trains, trams and buses, which is just absolute baloney. Adelaide doesn't even need four different PT services. We don't even need three at that! It should be just trains and trams, really.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#68 Post by peas_and_corn » Wed May 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Shuz wrote:
Norman wrote:

The O-Bahn effectively acts as a fourth mode of PT, after trains, trams and buses, which is just absolute baloney. Adelaide doesn't even need four different PT services. We don't even need three at that! It should be just trains and trams, really.
Don't trains need feeder buses? You can't get rid of them completely!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by AtD » Wed May 13, 2009 2:59 pm

Don't mind Shuz, he has a lot of rather strange ideas. (Said the pot to the kettle...)

Not even the minister knows much about the design yet.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
No concrete designs for O-Bahn city extension
TOM ZED, TRANSPORT REPORTER
May 13, 2009 02:30pm

THE $61 million extension of the O-Bahn busway is scheduled to begin this year - but the State Government admits it has no real concept how the plan will proceed.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon today said the State Government had secured the Federal Budget funding through "very, very strong cases for it" – yet was unable to offer any concrete detail of the plan.

The Budget papers say construction will begin this year.

"What we will have is dedicated corridors into the city," Mr Conlon said.

"We've got a number of design options but they will be dedicated bus corridors that will mean that that slow crawl into the city when you get off the O-Bahn will be over.

"It will make the services faster. It will mean more people will be able to use the O-Bahn.

"We will go out to the private sector, as we've done with other projects, and we'll come back with dedicated designs. What that will be is a little hard to forecast now."

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#70 Post by crawf » Wed May 13, 2009 3:04 pm

Quick AtD!, get in contact with the transport department and show them your idea! :P
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... =17&t=2388
Last edited by crawf on Wed May 13, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#71 Post by peas_and_corn » Wed May 13, 2009 3:04 pm

They got funding for something they didn't actually know what the design was? How did they know how much funding they needed? (or did they just pitch high and decide to spend the rest on dinners?)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#72 Post by AtD » Wed May 13, 2009 3:13 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of Federal Government, peas_and_corn.

loud
High Rise Poster!

Re: #PRO: O-Bahn extension to West Tce

#73 Post by loud » Wed May 13, 2009 3:19 pm

crawf wrote:Its about time something is going to be done, because atm Grenfell/Currie St is a mess in peak hour.
how_good_is_he wrote:so will Grenfell St reduce to 1 lane only for cars?
Simply don't drive to the CBD.
I have to drive to the CBD, part of my job...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#74 Post by Norman » Wed May 13, 2009 3:54 pm

I do recall them doing a study of how to bring the O-Bahn closer to the city. This was in the last state budget. That's probably where they got their initial cost and design information from.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#75 Post by adam73837 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:29 pm

_MO_ wrote:
Quite right. I just hope that they don't have the tram setup, that'll be quite frustrating for both passengers and car drivers. To make it work effectively, they'd need to have two bus lanes, so that buses can pull into their stop without holding up the other bus traffic, but that'd leave hardly any room for cars and cyclists!
If cost wasn't an issue, just do what joshzxzx said and build a tunnel underneath The Street for the buses to escape it, creating a more free-flowing system for both cars and buses.
Last edited by adam73837 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)