Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World Cup

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World Cup

#106 Post by Cruise » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:36 pm

adam_stuckey wrote:
Brando wrote:How often do you see that in football...? Hardly ever, that would probably be the first time i have ever seen such studidty at a football game.

That's right soccer, i will never call soccer football as long as i am a proud Australian, no matter what you so called 'soccer' supporters may argue....
I didn't realise it's Australian to call something the wrong name, if you are going to say it please do it in an American accent since they’re the only ones dumb enough to still call it that as a majority
It's called Association Football. Now don't be dumb and call it Football would you? because that would be calling it the wrong name.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#107 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:18 pm

adam_stuckey wrote:
Brando wrote:How often do you see that in football...? Hardly ever, that would probably be the first time i have ever seen such studidty at a football game.

That's right soccer, i will never call soccer football as long as i am a proud Australian, no matter what you so called 'soccer' supporters may argue....
I didn't realise it's Australian to call something the wrong name, if you are going to say it please do it in an American accent since they’re the only ones dumb enough to still call it that as a majority
Just before you take up the reigns of your respective high horses people; here's the truth...

All games where a ball is kicked or similar by foot are often called 'football'. The set of rules that govern a round ball game that some English people codified was dubbed 'Association Football' to distinguish it from all the other kinds of football games at the time (rugby etc). The term "Soccer" is a colloquial abbreviation or more specifically, contraction of the word "Association (Football)".

So "Soccer" is to "Association Football" as "Footy" is to "Australian Rules Football".

Now please carry on with your lame "my footy is betta then you're footy, is it. (sic)" game...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#108 Post by adam_stuckey » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:18 am

Thanks for that now where were we?
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#109 Post by Prince George » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:35 am

Winding the clock waaaayyyyyy back to garys_power's post, did anyone else notice:
The FFA has commissioned plans for a series of boutique 25,000 seat stadiums that, with temporary seating for the Cup, lifts capacity to 45,000.
Stadiums - costing about $250 million each - would be built around the country off the same plan.
So a bunch of places are going to get identical stadiums? So much for being an icon for a city.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#110 Post by adam73837 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:59 pm

adam_stuckey wrote:According to David Riccio at the Sunday telegraph the World Cup bid is all over because Tim Cahill got a little too drunk at a Sydney night club.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the anti-football media since we qualified for the World Cup? I honestly think its coming from the areas that have an invested interest in AFL or NRL, I think they can start to see some of their money slipping away!
I agree with you Adam. On a slightly unrelated topic, I also think that the SANFL is being selfish the way they are ripping off Port Power at AAMI Stadium.
Cruise wrote:Seems our team in the world's post popular ball game can't even get a major sponsor. If they were really were well supportered sponsors would be lining up for them.
New kit:

Now don't give me the OMFG GFC!!111!!! arguement, If a sponsor was asured their business would get alot of exposer on AUFC's jumper they would be lining up.
Oh yes Cruise, because you see all the AFL clubs are juuuuuust fine aren't they? :roll: Let's see; North Melbourne and Melbourne almost went broke, Sydney ain't exactly swimming in cash (yet somehow the AFL want to establish a second Sydney team in the rugby dominated area, Go Figure! :? ), Port Power is having much of its (unfortunately small amounts of) cash taken by the ever-greedy SANFL, and that's just to name a few. BTW, I realise that the local state soccer league isn't doing too well financially (but give it some time, have you seen how many youngsters are out there every Saturday/Sunday morning playing for their club and/or school?), but if it wasn't for the Crows getting their healthy crowds week in, week out, you just wait and see what would happen to a lot of the SANFL clubs; including my beloved Sturt. :( :cry:
I enjoy Football and Soccer however what I dislike is when AFL 'Extremists' (if you will) start carrying out acts that look as though they see soccer as a threat. IMO, the golden moment was Andrew Demetriou stating that the FFA would have to negotiate with him and the MCC regarding useage of the stadium/s in the World Cup should we win the rights to host. So now he thinks he can step in the way of what many consider to be the second greatest sporting tournament on the planet (behind the Olympics)? lol! I guarantee you that he would be one of many sitting in a corporate box in several of the WC Matches being played in Melbourne. :D
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#111 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:29 pm

I never said the AFL clubs are going great guns.

But do you see supporters of struggling Melbourne AFL clubs saying they need there own individual swanky new stadiums?

I only see AUFC supporters doing that.

For the record i'm an AUFC member and a PAFC member, are you an AUFC or even an AFC member? I didn't think so.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

Re: Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World

#112 Post by adam73837 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:17 pm

No, unfortunately I am not. In the past, I have become a member for some sporting organisations. Back in 2003, I decided to become a member of Adelaide City as it seemed clear that they would never leave the NSL. Additionally, I became a member of the Adelaide Rams back in '98, seeing a bright future ahead for them.
Last edited by adam73837 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#113 Post by adam_stuckey » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:16 am

Prince George wrote:Winding the clock waaaayyyyyy back to garys_power's post, did anyone else notice:
The FFA has commissioned plans for a series of boutique 25,000 seat stadiums that, with temporary seating for the Cup, lifts capacity to 45,000.
Stadiums - costing about $250 million each - would be built around the country off the same plan.
So a bunch of places are going to get identical stadiums? So much for being an icon for a city.
Honestly does it really matter if we have a similar stadium to some other city in Australia I’m sure whatever it is it’s better than what we have now…nothing!

Sure it would be great to have a unique stadium that everyone loves but that’s going to cost the earth and I think if we keep costs down as much as we can then there’s a hell of a lot more chance of us getting it. So if we all get a stadium that the same company designs and builds surely that is going to reduce costs. Then I’m sure each city could add it own touches to it like coloured seating and exterior design. But obviously no one is going to agree to a crappy stadium just so we don’t miss out on the World Cup.

I believe in this bid and that’s one of the reasons why I bought an Adelaide United membership for this season. GO REDS!!

(just thought I’d add that so everyone knows where I stand)
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#114 Post by adam_stuckey » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:23 am

World Cup to boost trade

The Australian Government will use next year’s FIFA World Cup as a platform to expand trade links with Africa, according to one of the government’s top economists.

Tim Harcourt, chief economist with the Australian Trade Commission, has told an audience in New York that the 2010 World Cup would bring trade benefits to Australia providing previously difficult opportunities to engage economically with Africa.

“I will be in South Africa next year for the World Cup because obviously that is the world game and with Australia’s strong links now with Asia and Africa we are going to do as much as we can,” Harcourt said. “We want to help South Africa put on a good World Cup and build on that if we can. Africa is the fastest growing continent in terms of trade with Australia.”

Amid the hullabaloo generated by World Cup qualification, increased trade opportunities around the world on the back of the Socceroos’ success is often overlooked.

Harcourt said last year’s Beijing Olympics in China had created many opportunities in the region for Australian companies – and not just big name comapnies. Facilities and infrastructure in Beijing and Shanghai had been designed and built by small and medium-sized Australian companies, Harcourt said, piggybacking on the back of sporting events.

“When I joined Austrade in 2000, China was moving up the ranks and most people were saying it would overtake Japan as out major trading partner in 2015,” Harcourt said. “It happened a lot quicker than we thought.

“You saw it last year at the Beijing Olympics. You saw the Water Cube which was done by an Australian architect that was very visible during the Olympic Games; You also saw it when you looked at the traffic system around Beijing that was done by an Australian; And when you looked at the hockey stadium, that was by a small Australian company; then you go to the aquarium in Shanghai, that was by an Australian company, too.”
Just another reason why both Australia getting the World Cup and Adelalde United play regularly in Asia will be a boost for us all

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#115 Post by flavze » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:26 pm

Cruise wrote:I never said the AFL clubs are going great guns.

But do you see supporters of struggling Melbourne AFL clubs saying they need there own individual swanky new stadiums?

For the record i'm an AUFC member and a PAFC member, are you an AUFC or even an AFC member? I didn't think so.
Not owning playing in there own stadium is a major reason as to why alot of AFL clubs are having financial trouble. If a footy club of any code owns and plays out of their own stadium they bank every dollar generated on match day from drinks, food, carparking, executive suites and so on.
Geelong play out of a 23k oval and bank around 400k a game due to having complete control over it. Imagine how much money teams like the crows would be making if the didn't have to give any money to the SANFL from gameday income.

I think it's up to the clubs to pay for them though, not rely on the government to pay for it.

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#116 Post by Briggzy_03 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:59 pm

flavze wrote:

Not owning playing in there own stadium is a major reason as to why alot of AFL clubs are having financial trouble. If a footy club of any code owns and plays out of their own stadium they bank every dollar generated on match day from drinks, food, carparking, executive suites and so on.
Geelong play out of a 23k oval and bank around 400k a game due to having complete control over it. Imagine how much money teams like the crows would be making if the didn't have to give any money to the SANFL from gameday income.

I think it's up to the clubs to pay for them though, not rely on the government to pay for it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the SANFL own the Adelaide Crows?

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#117 Post by Brando » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:01 am

monotonehell wrote:
adam_stuckey wrote:

Just before you take up the reigns of your respective high horses people; here's the truth...

All games where a ball is kicked or similar by foot are often called 'football'. The set of rules that govern a round ball game that some English people codified was dubbed 'Association Football' to distinguish it from all the other kinds of football games at the time (rugby etc). The term "Soccer" is a colloquial abbreviation or more specifically, contraction of the word "Association (Football)".

So "Soccer" is to "Association Football" as "Footy" is to "Australian Rules Football".

Now please carry on with your lame "my footy is betta then you're footy, is it. (sic)" game...
Thanks for the lecture teacher. :roll:

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#118 Post by adam_stuckey » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Briggzy_03 wrote:
flavze wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the SANFL own the Adelaide Crows?
Although i do agree i think a club like Adelaide United wouldn't be able to deal with $250 million of debt. I think the Government should pay for it because the stadium could be used for other things like big name concerts thats another thing that sucks about AAMI stadium!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#119 Post by Cruise » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:03 pm

flavze wrote:

Thats it though, Football Park was built by the SANFL, financed by the SANFL and is rightfully owned by the SANFL. The first government financed upgrade was the Northen Grandstand ($12.5 million)

Southern end superboxes financed by the SANFL
First Superscreen financed by the SANFL
Indvidual bucket seats financed by selling the naming rights of the stadium
Second superscreen financed by the SA government
Electronic boundary signage financed by AFC and PAFC.
So really, this promised $100 million government upgrade is the first big investment by the government. Also the SANFL are borrowing a further $90 million to complete the upgrade, I don't see AUFC borrowing $90 million

Also, i found this in the senate enquiry into a Tasmanian club http://www.aph.gov.au/SEnate/committee/ ... report.pdf
...at Skilled Stadium when you have a capacity of 25,000, we make a net profit in that game of $638,000 per game, which is $26 per head. If we have a crowd of 85,500 at the MCG, which we did have against Collingwood in 2007, we brought home $771,000, which was $9 a head. Importantly, Telstra, now Etihad Stadium, with a near capacity of 46,000, we brought home $293,000, which is $6 a head. So when you compare a crowd at Skilled of 25,000 compared to Telstra, which is nearly twice as much at 46, you at Skilled bring home to the club $638,000 out of all revenue sources per game and only $293,000 from Telstra. It is extremely important that if an AFL stadium is developed in Tasmania, the lease arrangements and the revenue attraction arrangements provide a high yield to ensure sustainability. It is pretty simple, really.
Also, Kardinia Park (skilled) is owned by the city council of Geelong
Last edited by Cruise on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#120 Post by Cruise » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:08 pm

adam_stuckey wrote: Although i do agree i think a club like Adelaide United wouldn't be able to deal with $250 million of debt. I think the Government should pay for it because the stadium could be used for other things like big name concerts thats another thing that sucks about AAMI stadium!
they can use Adelaide Oval for big name concerts. The argument for a new stadium is unviable