[COM] Adelaide Airport T1 Terminal | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #Completed : Adelaide Airport

#466 Post by Aidan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:12 am

I now accept that my earlier doubts were wrong - the curfew is deterring airlines from coming here. What I had missed was that without the restrictions, several Asian airlines would be able to fly from their hub to Adelaide and then on to NZ, then return the same way in under a day.
Norman wrote:Why can't they have the planes coming in from the western approach only between 11pm and 6am, avoiding flying over all the houses altogether during those times?
Aidan wrote:Because with the wind behind it, it would land faster, so may have to use reverse thrust to stop - and that's very noisy.
bm7500 wrote:You will find that the few flights that do operate within curfew hours (small freighters & RFDS) are required to take off to the West & likewise, land from the west wherever possible and where the wind direction & speed makes it safe enough to do so. Also, aircraft are prevented from using 'Reverse Thrust' on landing and this alone prevents larger jets and regular passengers services from being able to safely operate within curfew.
I think the real question now is:
What would it take to enable large commercial aircraft to land with the wind behind them without using reverse thrust?
And is there much technological progress towards that goal?

I've not been able to find the answers to these questions - does anyone here know?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#467 Post by fabricator » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:10 pm

Aidan wrote: I think the real question now is:
What would it take to enable large commercial aircraft to land with the wind behind them without using reverse thrust?
And is there much technological progress towards that goal?

I've not been able to find the answers to these questions - does anyone here know?
Reverse Thrust is simply re-directing the engine's hot output gasses to the front to brake the aircraft.
Its rather noisy however, which is probably why its been banned.

There is a simple technological solution, its called a longer runway :!: .
Still need to be aware of maximum landing speeds as well, don't want to blow tyres.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#468 Post by Pistol » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:18 pm

Planes land and takeoff into the wind to control the amount of lift that is produced over the wings.
It is simple physics.
It has nothing to do with reverse thrust.

And they will continue to land into the wind. Get over it...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#469 Post by rubberman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:13 pm

Actually Pistol, a plane can land with the wind - it just means that it has to fly that much faster to maintain lift. Which means that on landing it needs a longer runway distance, or stronger braking. Obviously the higher the wind speed, the longer the runway needed.

The question is whether or not there is a workaround. Not as far as I know, but it would be interesting to know if anyone is working on it.