COM: Glenside Redevelopment | $43m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Vee
Legendary Member!

Re: Glenside redevelopment

#61 Post by Vee » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:30 pm

garys_power wrote:$67m Glenside shopping village unveiled
DESIGNS for a $67 million shopping and office precinct, which developers say has the potential to create more than 800 jobs on land within the Glenside Hospital Campus, were unveiled yesterday.
The existing Foodland supermarket and shopping centre – on the north-eastern corner of Fullarton and Glen Osmond roads – would be demolished and replaced by the new precinct.
more
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
Can't wait to see the overdue redevelopment of the Frewville Shopping Centre (Glenside) precinct with the long awaited demolition and re-building of the Independent Foodland supermarket and a range of other facilities. This section of Glen Osmond Road (run down buildings, deserted shops) is a blight on the neighbourhood.

Adelaide needs to limit urban sprawl, invading agricultural land on the outskirts and creating costly new infrastructure demands and to revitalize areas in the inner and middle suburbs with sensitive development. Improved public transport and the concept of the 'village' with open spaces would appear to be vital components in the future.

Not sure about the description of the "defining feature (as a) `tree platform' of pavilion roofs" without seeing plans.
Many of the 800 additional jobs would be welcomed by the young people in the Eastern suburbs and surrounds.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#62 Post by crawf » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:21 pm

Render...

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by Pistol » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:40 pm

Good to see from that render the paving shop on the corner of Fullarton/GO Road will be gone.

Along with that crummy bunch of shops and the Foodland 'shopping centre'.
Will make for a vastly improved entrance to the city.

Mind you that render does not show much at all so patiently waiting for more renders of the entire precinct.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#64 Post by Wayno » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:44 pm

i hope this development manages to sidestep the ongoing "Burnside Council Corruption Investigations" saga...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#65 Post by Prince George » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:47 pm

veemur wrote:
garys_power wrote:DESIGNS for a $67 million shopping and office precinct, which developers say has the potential to create more than 800 jobs on land within the Glenside Hospital Campus, were unveiled yesterday.
Many of the 800 additional jobs would be welcomed by the young people in the Eastern suburbs and surrounds.
I am, of course, suspicious by nature, but I become very skeptical when I see bold claims of job creation by these developments. A development having space to house 800 jobs is not at all the same as creating them.

Is there really unrealised demand for shopping in the area? Are people in the neighbourhood thinking that they have money to spend on shopping that they can't already do in Burnside Village, Unley Road / Village, the Parade, and the CBD? If not, then the retail jobs created at this location likely come at the expense of jobs in the existing areas. Likewise for the offices, how will these new offices create jobs? To do that, they need to cause new businesses to start, not just to move from one location to another. What is it about these offices that they are supposing will cause that to happen?

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#66 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:52 pm

monotonehell, I'd like to respond to your correction of my post.

This isn't bricks and mortar, but it's intimately connected to the rationale of the new facilities.

I pride myself on very careful research. I have to research carefully because some of the claims I make would be actionable if they were not true.

I can say with complete confidence that The Club in 1980 was the last feature film produced by SAFC, and the television mini-series The Battlers in 1994 was the last production in which the SAFC acted as a producer. Since 1994, the role of the Corporation has changed to that of facilitating productions, rather than engaging in production itself. This is a very significant change in terms of capacity and the potential to earn a return on taxpayers' funds.

For the record, here is the SAFC's complete list of feature films:

Picnic at Hanging Rock 1975
Sunday Too Far Away 1975
Storm Boy 1976
Breaker Morant 1979
The Money Movers 1979
The Club 1980

A look at the last annual report, for 07-08, shows that for that year SAFC had an income of $1.123 million. The net cost of earning that income (ie the loss for the year) was $4.931 million, down from a loss of $5.054 million the previous year.

In 07-08, the government paid SAFC $5.261 million, creating a surplus of $331 million.

In 07-08 only 20% of SAFC's earnings came from films, and that was limited to commissions and royalties for previous work.
SAFC's earnings came from:

• Interest of $551,000 received on its cash reserve, built up since 1975 and at 07-08 totalling $7.222 million. This is over twice as much as it made from its film activities.

• Subletting the space it hires from the government earned the SAFC $278,000.

• It earned $224,000 from distribution returns (not just rights, from its own films, but including unspecified commissions paid for the distribution of other films).

The bottom line, though, is that on 07-08 SAFC cost the taxpayer about $100,000 per week to have around, yet its 24 employees are moving to a new $43 million home, again paid for by the taxpayer.

The Corporation seems indulgent as to its own costs, as the 'supplies and services' section of the accounts shows.

It paid $42,000 per year in cleaning expenses, which seems very high.

'Industry promotion and participation' is up from $109,000 in 07 to $575,000 in 08. I was not able to find out further details - it related to attendance at industry functions and holding them, but further details were 'commercial-in-confidence'. It sounds like an entertainment budget to me. It's about $500 per week per staff member.

'Other' expenditure under supplies and services was $213,000 - no note in the accounts, and 'commercial-in-confidence' anyway, I was told when I enquired as a taxpayer.

Having nothing better to do, I cross-referenced the recipients of the money dished out by the SAFC. Lo and behold, the SAFC's tenants figure strongly, as do the SAFC's own staff. The board even gave the retiring boss and her associates a few hundred thousand in grants to tide her over for her first year back in the real world.

This while Foley is cutting government costs to the bone. Remember, too, that the cost/benefit study by Connell Wagner (now Austecon) justifying the move is 'commercial in confidence' and not available.

As I said, every word I type here is supportable. PM me if you have any problems with my comments.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by Hooligan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:25 pm

Did the SAFC have nothing to do with Bad boy bubby?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#68 Post by rhino » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:59 am

Hooligan wrote: Bad boy bubby?
Classic movie!
cheers,
Rhino

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#69 Post by Alyx » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:38 pm

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#70 Post by Will » Wed May 19, 2010 11:52 pm

I found this on the Hansen Yuncken website:
Adelaide Film & Screen Centre, SA

The Adelaide Film and Screen Centre will be located in Precinct 2 of the Glenside Campus.

The heritage-listed main administration building (approximately 4,800 square metres) will be upgraded to accommodate the administration activities of the SAFC (approximately 350 square metres). Part of this building (approximately 1000 square metres) will be upgraded for lease to businesses related to the screen and film industry. The balance of this building may be upgraded at another time with separate funding subject to screen and film industry future leasing interest. Other heritage buildings (approximately 2000 square metres) in the Precinct are intended to be adapted at a later date for film industry or related industry use.
A new building complex will be constructed to provide for two sound studios (approximately 1,400 square metres in total), a set construction workshop (approximately 700 square metres) and a small screening theatre and mixing theatre (approximately 600 square metres). In addition, the building complex will accommodate other functions such as wardrobe/make-up and post-production editing and mixing etc (approximately 600 square metres). Views to the heritage buildings from Fullarton Road will be maintained.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#71 Post by Vee » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:28 pm

I read this item in my local Messenger Press this week.
‘Rare’ Glenside building saved
The former nurses’ home at Glenside Hospital is set to be saved from demolition after it was granted provisional State Heritage listing.
In a major win for Glenside Hospital campaigners and a blow for the State Government’s redevelopment plans, the SA Heritage Council last week granted the listing, recognising the 1954 building’s “cultural significance”.
Read the rest of the article here.
http://eastern-courier-messenger.wherei ... ing-saved/
Last edited by Vee on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#72 Post by Wayno » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:25 pm

drove past earlier today. There's a crane on site.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#73 Post by stumpjumper » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:20 am

It will be demolished, unfortunately. The building is one of the very few examples in Adelaide of a deco 'moderne' style. Here's another example, slightly better but in the same idiom:

It's a very interesting style and Adelaide has little enough interesting 20th century architecture. The building could be converted into apartments, perhaps to accommodate visitors to the Department of Premier and Cabinet's baby, the Film Hub.

Here's the old nurses' home without the trees. It could be a very cool place to live or stay. Why knock it down?

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#74 Post by Xaragmata » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:27 am

stumpjumper wrote:Here's the old nurses' home without the trees. It could be a very cool place to live or stay. Why knock it down?

It was Parkside when I was young, and changed to Glenside perhaps in the mid '60s.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#75 Post by Wayno » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Some business for the SAFC...

FromAdelaideNow
ADELAIDE will host the ABC's most expensive Australian children's drama ever - a $14 million series to be filmed and produced at the South Australian Film Corporation's new Glenside headquarters.

Resistance, a 26-episode half-hour program about a group of teenagers who have extraordinary powers and spy training, is an Australian-Canadian project. It will begin pre-production in SA next month and will start filming in November.

Producers for the children's drama had planned to film the series in NSW but were lured south by the SAFC and its new $43 million facility. It boasts two sound stages, a state-of-the-art mixing room, a screening room and tenanted offices for industry affiliates.

Today, the SAFC opened up the Glenside headquarters, taking media on a tour of key areas ahead of its public open day on September 18.

As well as Resistance - which will be shot at Glenside over 23 weeks - other projects set to use the new SAFC facilities are the $13 million sequel Wolf Creek 2, which will begin shooting early next year and, Rolf de Heer's The King Is Dead which is currently using the new sound mixing theatre, having been filmed at the corporation's old Hendon headquarters.