[COM] Uno Apartments | 53m | 17lvls | Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #PRO: Kings Apartments | 68m | 26lvls | Residential

#91 Post by Omicron » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:23 pm

As a concept, that's a ballsy proposal - two towers straddling a heritage building, constructing a skybridge in front, and including a reasonably-sized public plaza (in other words, giving away space that could have been used for more apartments). If that site diagram is to be believed, then I certainly approve - I see plenty of retail space and public areas, and attention paid to tenancies that will provide foot-traffic to the area beyond standard trading hours.

I look forward to seeing how this one progresses.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#92 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:23 pm

It does look interesting this one, especially the fact that there's going to be a new pedestrian link between Currie and Waymouth streets. I've been inside the Queens Theatre before on one occasion, it does have a very industrial feel about it. I do hope they refurbish some of the exterior though.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#93 Post by Hippodamus » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:06 am

i have nothing against this height and density, particularly in this part of the city. however, i do ask the question if the design respects the existing theatre in terms of urban design, which may i add; is the second oldest theatre in Australia!

furthermore, the site plan appears to be too site oriented and not encapsulating the wider area including the lane way which the theatre fronts. i say this in terms of good pedestrian connectivity and potential for creating a pedestrian oriented lane way which would hence create a synergy for future development on adjacent sites to follow suit.

i do understand that these are old renders and from what i see, no official application has been submitted. in my opinion, the developers need to move with the times and consider how this development will contribute to this part of the city, by carefully considering the design of the towers and how the design will permeate to a conjucive public network.

Ho Really

#94 Post by Ho Really » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:41 am

Hippodamus wrote:[...]

furthermore, the site plan appears to be too site oriented and not encapsulating the wider area including the lane way which the theatre fronts. i say this in terms of good pedestrian connectivity and potential for creating a pedestrian oriented lane way which would hence create a synergy for future development on adjacent sites to follow suit.

[...]
The above ground carpark on the dog leg of Playhouse Lane is going to strongly limit the amount of pedestrian traffic along the laneway's north-south and east-west directions, unless access to this carpark is only allowed from Light Square (east-west) which to me has to happen anyway because of the underground carpark in the western tower.

Cheers
Last edited by Ho Really on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#95 Post by Ho Really » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:43 am

If this project goes ahead (which I'm confident it will eventually), it would be nice for a couple of other sites around it to be modernised, like the corner of Currie and Light Square, the old Sebel and Mabarrack Furniture showrooms. I recall many years ago a 12-storey office development was planned for here. Also the Word Bookstore on the other corner which used to be a car showroom should also go the same way. The area I think has potential. :wink:

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#96 Post by SRW » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Hippodamus wrote:however, i do ask the question if the design respects the existing theatre in terms of urban design, which may i add; is the second oldest theatre in Australia!
Hear, hear. They'd (the developers) want to be very careful about how they address the Queen St Theatre, not only because it's a true treasure of Adelaide and deserves special attention, but because if they don't do their utmost, it'd likely ruin their chances of development approval or, at the very least, public acceptance.

Still, early days. I very much hope that we do see a proposal; the area is underdeveloped.
Keep Adelaide Weird

skyliner

#97 Post by skyliner » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:46 pm

VERY impressive design - but I have reservations about the theatre in between - looks totally overshadowed and like a remnant rather than feature of bygone times. Architectural sympathy of bldgs needed to stop hidden away, forgotten, unimportant inconsistencies if the theatre is to remain. Looks like it should be demolished to make room for further development - only commenting via diagrams provided. Agre with Hippodamus and SRW.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#98 Post by AG » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Can someone please confirm that the proposal being announced by the state government is located on the same site as the proposed development being discussed in this thread?
City tower for low-earners
Article from: The Advertiser
LAUREN NOVAK
December 17, 2009 12:01am

A PLANNED $46 million housing development will offer affordable homes to low-income earners and public housing tenants in the CBD.

State Housing Minister Jennifer Rankine will today announce a joint project with the Federal Government to build a 15-storey apartment building in Waymouth St using $46.5 million of federal stimulus money.

The 138-unit development will include 27 units each for social housing, affordable rental, low-income purchase and sale on the open market.

Another 30 units will cater for young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

The environmentally friendly building, to be built at 102 Waymouth St on the site of a current car park, will have a six-star energy rating.

Designs and the appointment of contractors are expected to be finalised early next year and construction will start soon after. The project is due to be completed by February 2012.

Ms Rankine promised revenue from sales would be put towards more social housing in coming years.

"This development will provide a much-needed entry point for aspiring young home purchasers who are currently priced out of the Adelaide apartment market," she said.

Federal Housing Minister Tanya Plibersek said the development was "a great example of how economic stimulus is supporting jobs in the construction industry".

Last week it was announced one of the state's oldest Housing Trust enclaves would make way for a $130 million, 425-home development at Woodville West.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] #PRO - 102 Waymouth Street - Low-Income Housing - 15 levels

#99 Post by Will » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:24 pm

This is a bot of a surprise. From the Advertiser:
City tower for low-earnersArticle from: Font size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment LAUREN NOVAK
December 17, 2009 12:01am
A PLANNED $46 million housing development will offer affordable homes to low-income earners and public housing tenants in the CBD.

State Housing Minister Jennifer Rankine will today announce a joint project with the Federal Government to build a 15-storey apartment building in Waymouth St using $46.5 million of federal stimulus money.

The 138-unit development will include 27 units each for social housing, affordable rental, low-income purchase and sale on the open market.

Another 30 units will cater for young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

The environmentally friendly building, to be built at 102 Waymouth St on the site of a current car park, will have a six-star energy rating.

Designs and the appointment of contractors are expected to be finalised early next year and construction will start soon after. The project is due to be completed by February 2012.

Ms Rankine promised revenue from sales would be put towards more social housing in coming years.

"This development will provide a much-needed entry point for aspiring young home purchasers who are currently priced out of the Adelaide apartment market," she said.

Federal Housing Minister Tanya Plibersek said the development was "a great example of how economic stimulus is supporting jobs in the construction industry".

Last week it was announced one of the state's oldest Housing Trust enclaves would make way for a $130 million, 425-home development at Woodville West

Omicron

[COM] Re: #PRO - 102 Waymouth Street - Low-Income Housing - 15 levels

#100 Post by Omicron » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:51 pm

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#101 Post by dsriggs » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Because what we need in the city is 15 storeys of public housing tenants...

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#102 Post by Shuz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:20 pm

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#103 Post by Mpol » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:58 pm

More cement than glass... really not a pretty addition.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#104 Post by Pants » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:51 am

Omicron wrote:Image

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#105 Post by Pants » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:58 am

Nice enough building though.