Introduction Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
ribbsy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Introduction Thread

#151 Post by ribbsy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:43 am

Hi everyone, I've joined this forum because I left Adelaide 4 years ago to come live in the UK. Heading back soon for my first visit and am really excited to see all the amazing development that has gone back home in such a short amount of time! It's awesome. So yeh, thats why I'm here, just to have a spy about and get back up to speed on what has been going on in my absence really.
'It is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well' - Voltaire

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#152 Post by Wayno » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:04 am

ribbsy wrote:Hi everyone, I've joined this forum because I left Adelaide 4 years ago to come live in the UK. Heading back soon for my first visit and am really excited to see all the amazing development that has gone back home in such a short amount of time! It's awesome. So yeh, thats why I'm here, just to have a spy about and get back up to speed on what has been going on in my absence really.
Welcome ribbsy! look forward to hearing more from you :-)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#153 Post by Briggzy_03 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:35 pm

I haven't formally introduced myself so I thought why not a better time than now.

My name's Josh, the Briggzy part comes from a nickname is regards to my surname. Although I only formally signed up to SA a year ago, I have been sleuthing around the site since 2006.

I'm 21 and have lived in Adelaide all my life, in particular in the southern suburbs (Hallett Cove). I've always been interested in buildings, infrastructure and just how cities work in general. I love Adelaide, although biased, I can honestly ask where else would you want to live.

Medicine is my other and close second interest. I just finished my last semester at Flinders uni and will be going onto my masters next year. I'm interested in working in the public health field, dealing with disease prevention etc. but haven't really narrowed down an exact speciality. I was keen on doing architecture but I never had that type of creativity as well as skill in perspective drawing. I only found out this year that a degree at Adelaide (or Uni SA?) in urban planning was available.... :(

I support a city stadium, preferably a redeveloped AO, public transport and dream for the day when 200m+ architecturally significant buildings are allowed to be constructed in Adelaide. In due time I hope this city gets the appreciation it deserves from people outside of the state and I can gradually see it changing.

Also I'm an avid Crows fan :) .
Last edited by Briggzy_03 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#154 Post by Wayno » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:00 pm

Briggzy_03 wrote:I haven't formally introduced myself so I thought why not a better time than now.

My name's Josh, the Briggzy part comes from a nickname is regards to my surname. Although I only formally signed up to SA a year ago, I have been sleuthing around the site since 2006.

I'm 21 and have lived in Adelaide all my life, in particular in the southern suburb of Hallett Cove. I've always been interested in buildings, infrastructure and just how cities work in general. I've played every version of Sim City ever made.

Medicine is my other and close second interest. I just finished my last semester of medical science at Flinders uni and will be going onto my masters in public health next year. I'm interested in working in the public health field, dealing with disease prevention etc. but haven't really narrowed down an exact speciality. I was keen on doing architecture but I never had that type of creativity as well as skill in perspective drawing. I only found out this year that a degree at Adelaide (or Uni SA?) in urban planning was available, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I support a city stadium, preferably a redeveloped AO, public transport and dream for the day when 200m+ architecturally significant buildings are allowed to be constructed in Adelaide and I can travel from one side of the city to the other via tram and subway.

Also I'm an avid Crows fan and I apologise if it gets the better of me :) .
welcome matey...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#155 Post by PeFe » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:21 am

Hello Im Peter and I have have been looking at this website for a couple of years now and have finally decided to join. I left Adelaide in 1991 pursuing a career in the eastern states but I still have have all my family living in Adelaide and get back there about once a year. I am very interested in cities and public transport ( and the way it all works). I have always believed that
Adelaide deserved better in terms of architecture and transport and its "place" in the world and current developments seem to be leading in the right direction. Cheers.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#156 Post by monotonehell » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:26 pm

PeFe wrote:Hello Im Peter and I have have been looking at this website for a couple of years now and have finally decided to join. I left Adelaide in 1991 pursuing a career in the eastern states but I still have have all my family living in Adelaide and get back there about once a year. I am very interested in cities and public transport ( and the way it all works). I have always believed that
Adelaide deserved better in terms of architecture and transport and its "place" in the world and current developments seem to be leading in the right direction. Cheers.
Adelaide was held back by circumstances in the '90s - but there's no reason why we wont continue to pull ourselves up in the future.

Welcome to S-A PeFe!
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#157 Post by Howie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:33 am

Welcome guys. :cheers:

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#158 Post by Shuz » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:02 pm

Shuz wrote:Introducing to you the report of prisoner number #72851 and a mug shot to match.

Well, I'm a fairly obviously well known figure around these boards. For those of you that are old, really old, you just may remember the horror that spread across your faces everytime you saw the infamous identities by the names of shuzstar, redstar, greenchilli and countless other internet alias. That was me, at the very immature age of fourteen.

These days, I've grown up, now at horrendously old age of eighteen and going by the real world name of Andrew, although I am affectionately known by my former school peers as 'Shuz'. 8)

Much to my delightful please, my educational torment finished last year, completing Year 12 at Cabra College last year. I just passed by a few whiskers... My story, left school 6 weeks before it actually finished, never did my exams, and just hoped that my scores were high enough to get me over the line. Fortunately they were...

I want to study architecture at university, and am waiting until I am 21, so to sit the STATs and gain admission into the course through such means. In the office, I used to work on the checkouts at IKEA Adelaide, but have since retired. Now with a debt bill owing to my parents reaching new highs, I am on the job prowl, after a couple of months vacation to Sydney, Melbourne and a piddly town in the Far North.
Over one hundred resumes and cover letters, gloryfying my name screams torment to the daily piling of 'in' mail trays in offices across the city. :)

I'm a big fan of dance, electronica, house and techno music, cranking many a beat into the wee hours of the morning much to the dismay of my mother's and brother's peaceful nights sleep, aside from that and this website, I also devote myself to a lifetime of watching television with a box set collection that just keeps getting bigger by the month...

Standing in at 6' 2, with a body many envy, I'm very lanky and clumsy, and selfish too. No honestly, I am. I drink all the milk, eat all the biscuits, have the televsion on really loud, but that doesn't mean to say that I don't care about people. I'm always up for a good night out, free of charge :P Am infamously the biggest risk-taker amongst my friends, with stories so dramatic your mother's eardrums may just explode.

I lay claim to being the world's biggest whinger, which some may find annoying, but I do it for the sake of making others feel less guilty about themselves. I'll say things before I think, and I always drink in excessive moderation. I take great admiration in my friends, but the family's another story. It's more dysfunctional than one could think. Everyone's fiercely competitive, and a whinger. I got the latter. And whenever I talk about myself, I babble on endlessly. :shock:

If you're looking for the guy with the biggest collection of metrotickets in Adelaide. I'm your man. I still proudly don the L's, am able to get my P's but I just cant be stuffed, because face it, trams just f****** rule.

Gracias,
Shuz.
:wallbash: :sly:

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#159 Post by Shuz » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:45 pm

I feel I should update you all on my status quo.
These days, I've grown up, now at horrendously old age of eighteen and going by the real world name of Andrew, although I am affectionately known by my former school peers as 'Shuz'.
My name's still Andrew, nickname's still Shuz. I'm another 2 years older, unfortunately - 20 and ageing gracefully.
I want to study architecture at university, and am waiting until I am 21, so to sit the STATs and gain admission into the course through such means.
I started out a diploma of Building Design and Technology at TAFE earlier this year, to get a kickstart on pursuing a career in architecture, but withdrew from the course after the first term. It wasn't my thing at all, apparently - something which at the time had quite a profound impact on me, as I had been so adamantly sure all my life it was what I wanted to do. I've now set myself a new goal to study Urban Planning at university in 2011 instead.
In the office, I used to work on the checkouts at IKEA Adelaide, but have since retired.
Employment wise, things are much better!
After a false start in September 2008 with Subway, I was let go 8 weeks later due to "overstaffing". From Feburary to August, I worked for Red Rooster on a meagre 5 hours a week. I've finally got a job now! I've been working part-time (about 25-35 hours a week) at Woolworths as a Checkout Operator for about 4 months now. I actually enjoy it - something about the customer service. I've already signalled my intentions to become supervisor, and am unofficially being groomed for one of the positions. I've also worked at Hindmarsh Stadium over the 08/09 and 09/10 A-League seasons doing bartender/kiosk work, which is great fun also, plus a great source of extra income!
I'm a big fan of dance, electronica, house and techno music, cranking many a beat into the wee hours of the morning much to the dismay of my mother's and brother's peaceful nights sleep, aside from that and this website, I also devote myself to a lifetime of watching television with a box set collection that just keeps getting bigger by the month...
It's 10:19pm. Music's on, rather loud. Guess old habits die hard. I've since added Weeds and Sex and the City and Skins to my DVD collection. Plus about another 10 movies. :P
Standing in at 6' 2, with a body many envy, I'm very lanky and clumsy, and selfish too. No honestly, I am. I drink all the milk, eat all the biscuits, have the televsion on really loud, but that doesn't mean to say that I don't care about people. I'm always up for a good night out, free of charge. Am infamously the biggest risk-taker amongst my friends, with stories so dramatic your mother's eardrums may just explode.
Again, nothing else has changed here really. I'm just a little bit taller, and still just as lanky. Well, except I actually pay for my own drinks now. :cheers: (Got quite the bar tab owing to other people, though!)
I lay claim to being the world's biggest whinger, which some may find annoying, but I do it for the sake of making others feel less guilty about themselves. I'll say things before I think, and I always drink in excessive moderation. I take great admiration in my friends, but the family's another story. It's more dysfunctional than one could think. Everyone's fiercely competitive, and a whinger. I got the latter. And whenever I talk about myself, I babble on endlessly.
Same old, same old.

In other news, I came out (gay) to my family. Everything's actually all good - relationships with my immediate family have never been better, since. Same goes for my friends, now that I have a job - and now that I'm more confident in myself, I'm much more sociable than I used to be. I've met and made a ton of new friends, and having such a diverse range of people in my life has further shaped my confidence and willingness to succeed.

Really, I've never felt happier. But in typical whinging fashion, I'm still single. 20 years on, no relationships. I have my days where I doubt myself in this regard, but I guess, a little like Charlotte from S&TC, I'm a optimist in love. I hope 2010 gives me what I seek.

My goals for 2010; Hopefully I'll date someone, I'll work heaps more consistently, and get promoted. I'll try and save some money (I've still no savings!) Maybe not spend so much with my credit card. I'm a big spender with a big wardrobe and a new TV. :P I'll actually give up smoking for real, and get a six-pack, or at least gain some muscular mass. Meet new people, make more friends, strengthen existing ones, and get my P's! (Yes I'm still on my L's.)

:2cents:

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#160 Post by Prince George » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:28 am

Shuz wrote:My name's still Andrew, nickname's still Shuz. I'm another 2 years older, unfortunately - 20 and ageing gracefully.
(Smiles at the sight of another 20-something talking about ageing)
I started out a diploma of Building Design and Technology at TAFE earlier this year, to get a kickstart on pursuing a career in architecture, but withdrew from the course after the first term. It wasn't my thing at all, apparently - something which at the time had quite a profound impact on me, as I had been so adamantly sure all my life it was what I wanted to do. I've now set myself a new goal to study Urban Planning at university in 2011 instead.
This isn't the "Receive unasked-for advice" forum, but ...

Don't let this get you down, it's actually a really common story. Far sadder are the people who bumble their way through a degree that they don't really want and enter a career that they don't care for. One of the things that I feel our society has quite wrong is an education system that supposes an 18-year old is capable of fundamentally choosing the direction of the bulk of their life. Maybe that would be true if high-schools were organised around helping people make those choices, rather than training them to pass exams. But since they are not, a great many people benefit from spending some time outside the schooling system learning just what their answer to this question should be.

There are a growing number of colleges here that encourage their students to take a year off during their degree, before they settle on their major, and spend some time out in the "real world" either working or volunteering, to maintain some perspective on what they're embarking on.

Perhaps the most important thing for us all to understand is just what it is that we're prepared to work at, where our motivation is strong enough for us to accept the unpleasant efforts that are needed to do it. Try to find time to think about that, I know that's not easy when you're working, but the sooner you can find the chance to make that investment, the longer you can enjoy a satisfying life.

Good luck, young man.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#161 Post by Omicron » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:49 pm

Is the turn-off to the real world well-marked?

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#162 Post by Prince George » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:35 am

Omicron wrote:Is the turn-off to the real world well-marked?
Indeed not. I put "real world" in quotes for a reason. Each of those worlds -- school and work -- are every bit as real and every bit as artificial as the other, but the work stage lasts longer and comes with a bunch of added responsibilities, so it feels more real. All that stress and complication means that what exactly we're going to do for all that time deserves some serious thought. Because whatever it is that you choose, reaching the point that you're thriving and satisfied takes real, and repeated, effort. So you'd better be ready to do that work.

Speaking from my own experience, I spent five years studying a Ph.D. and failed to actually complete the degree. In retrospect I can see that really I was just in love the idea of being called "Dr", but I simply didn't have the stomach to do the work that was needed to reach that level. I hope the Queen doesn't mind me mentioning that she got her Master's degree: she did the work, I didn't, end of story.

While I don't regret the time that I spent (or wasted, depending on who you ask) on a degree I didn't get, or dislike the situation that I'm now in, I do wish that I'd learnt that lesson sooner.

And all this reminds me, I should really introduce myself properly. I'm Peter; I was born in the UK, which we left when I was 2 to go to Pt Pirie. In '82 we moved to Adelaide, where I've stayed until coming to Seattle in 2006. I studied maths at Adelaide Uni, worked for British Aerospace/BAE Systems and then Motorola/Freescale. When Freescale shut the Adelaide office, the Queen and I thought that it might be a good time to try living overseas for a while. It's been an amazing and eye-opening experience, and now we're getting ready to come back to Australia in the new year.

I'm interested in architecture and design, swinging between the organic roots-radicalism of Christopher Alexander and the futuristic post-modernity of Charles Jencks and Rem Koolhaas (whose books are better than his buildings, imho). But what's really burdening my thoughts these days is the economics and dynamics of cities. How do they grow, how do they fail, what differentiates the winners from the losers, and where does Adelaide fall in all this. Been reading stuff by Richard Florida and Charles Landry -- whose thinker-in-residence report you should all go read -- that's really got me both concerned and optimistic. Going to find a way to get better engaged with this stuff once I'm back in town.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#163 Post by Wayno » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:54 am

Prince George wrote:And all this reminds me, I should really introduce myself properly. I'm Peter...
Peter & Caroline, looking forward to having you as neighbours (not literally, but you know what i mean) in the near future :-)

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#164 Post by Queen Anne » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:31 am

Thank Wayno :) It will good to read the site from the "neighbourhood". I might understand what's going on better!

It's going to be so interesting to see Adelaide again after a three year absence. I'm feeling excited about it, and a little nervous too, if I'm honest. We fly out next wednesday, hope the weather will be good! Can't wait to see home again.

Cheers, Caroline

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#165 Post by jk1237 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:46 pm

will be interested to see your reports on how Adelaide has changed when you both come back. Beautiful today - 29C and a light wind, which brought half of Adelaide into town for the sales. I thought it was more more busier than last year, and funny to see them all drive in, creating traffic jams everywhere. Getting up to 37 for Thurs and Fri, which (after the heat waves) hardly feels hot anymore